* Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-08  4:37 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-02-08  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can barely start up the latest CVS versions of Oort.  I have to try
over and over, and maybe one out of 10 times or so, gnus finally comes
up.  When it doesn't start, either the XEmacs window completely
disappears, or els I get the following error.  I'm using XEmacs 21.4.3
under RedHat Linux 7.2.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Signaling: (invalid-function 67399686)
  67399686("" #<compiled-function (file orig-file) "...(17)" [orig-file file nnmail-split-incoming nnml-save-mail nil nnmail-get-split-group (directory :path "/home/ljz/Groups/" :suffix ".in") nnml-active-number] 7> t)
  gnus-byte-compile((lambda (file orig-file) (nnmail-split-incoming file (quote nnml-save-mail) (quote nil) (if ... nil ...) (quote nnml-active-number))))
  nnmail-get-new-mail(nnml nnml-save-nov "~/Mail/" nil)
  nnml-request-scan(nil "email")
  gnus-request-scan(nil (nnml "email" (nnml-directory "~/Mail/") (nnml-active-file "~/etc/gnus/.mail-active") (nnml-newsgroups-file "~/etc/gnus/.mail-newsgroups") (nnml-get-new-mail t)))
  gnus-read-active-file-1((nnml "email" (nnml-directory "~/Mail/") (nnml-active-file "~/etc/gnus/.mail-active") (nnml-newsgroups-file "~/etc/gnus/.mail-newsgroups") (nnml-get-new-mail t)) nil)
  gnus-read-active-file(nil nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
  byte-code("..." [gnus-slave gnus-current-startup-file gnus-startup-file did-connect level dont-connect gnus-group-quit gnus-run-hooks gnus-startup-hook gnus-make-newsrc-file gnus-dribble-read-file bbb-login add-hook gnus-summary-mode-hook gnus-grouplens-mode gnus-setup-news nil gnus-setup-news-hook gnus-start-draft-setup gnus-group-list-groups gnus-group-first-unread-group gnus-configure-windows group gnus-group-set-mode-line gnus-started-hook gnus-use-dribble-file gnus-use-grouplens] 4)
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus()
  my-gnus-startup()
  command-line-do-funcall("-f")
  command-line-1()
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-08  5:03 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-02-08  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I can barely start up the latest CVS versions of Oort.  I have to try
> over and over, and maybe one out of 10 times or so, gnus finally comes
> up.  When it doesn't start, either the XEmacs window completely
> disappears, or els I get the following error.  I'm using XEmacs 21.4.3
> under RedHat Linux 7.2.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Signaling: (invalid-function 67399686)
>   67399686("" #<compiled-function (file orig-file) "...(17)" [orig-file file nnmail-split-incoming nnml-save-mail nil nnmail-get-split-group (directory :path "/home/ljz/Groups/" :suffix ".in") nnml-active-number] 7> t)
>   gnus-byte-compile((lambda (file orig-file) (nnmail-split-incoming file (quote nnml-save-mail) (quote nil) (if ... nil ...) (quote nnml-active-number))))

You can get around the problem with (setq gnus-use-byte-compile nil).
If it works, probably there is a bug in the XEmacs byte-compile code.

ShengHuo

* Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-08 13:10   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-02-08 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> I can barely start up the latest CVS versions of Oort.  I have to try
>> over and over, and maybe one out of 10 times or so, gnus finally comes
>> up.  When it doesn't start, either the XEmacs window completely
>> disappears, or els I get the following error.  I'm using XEmacs 21.4.3
>> under RedHat Linux 7.2.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Signaling: (invalid-function 67399686)
>>   67399686("" #<compiled-function (file orig-file) "...(17)" [orig-file file nnmail-split-incoming nnml-save-mail nil nnmail-get-split-group (directory :path "/home/ljz/Groups/" :suffix ".in") nnml-active-number] 7> t)
>>   gnus-byte-compile((lambda (file orig-file) (nnmail-split-incoming file (quote nnml-save-mail) (quote nil) (if ... nil ...) (quote nnml-active-number))))
>
> You can get around the problem with (setq gnus-use-byte-compile nil).
> If it works, probably there is a bug in the XEmacs byte-compile code.

Thank you very much.

This is the same XEmacs I've been using for at least 6 months to do
countless successful byte compiles, including dozens of byte compiles of
various versions of Gnus, all of which have worked just fine.  Can you
think of any other reason why this would start to fail in recent Gnus
releases?

Also, what could cause this error to not show up 100% of the time?  If I
restart Gnus repeatedly, eventually (like I mentioned, maybe 1 in 10
times or so), I do not get this error, and Gnus starts up fine.  There
are no byte compiles of anything being done during the time when I'm
doing the series of start-up attempts.

--

@ 2002-02-08 19:12     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-02-08 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>>
>>> I can barely start up the latest CVS versions of Oort.  I have to try
>>> over and over, and maybe one out of 10 times or so, gnus finally comes
>>> up.  When it doesn't start, either the XEmacs window completely
>>> disappears, or els I get the following error.  I'm using XEmacs 21.4.3
>>> under RedHat Linux 7.2.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Signaling: (invalid-function 67399686)
>>>   67399686("" #<compiled-function (file orig-file) "...(17)" [orig-file file nnmail-split-incoming nnml-save-mail nil nnmail-get-split-group (directory :path "/home/ljz/Groups/" :suffix ".in") nnml-active-number] 7> t)
>>>   gnus-byte-compile((lambda (file orig-file) (nnmail-split-incoming file (quote nnml-save-mail) (quote nil) (if ... nil ...) (quote nnml-active-number))))
>>
>> You can get around the problem with (setq gnus-use-byte-compile nil).
>> If it works, probably there is a bug in the XEmacs byte-compile code.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> This is the same XEmacs I've been using for at least 6 months to do
> countless successful byte compiles, including dozens of byte compiles of
> various versions of Gnus, all of which have worked just fine.  Can you
> think of any other reason why this would start to fail in recent Gnus
> releases?
>
> Also, what could cause this error to not show up 100% of the time?  If I
> restart Gnus repeatedly, eventually (like I mentioned, maybe 1 in 10
> times or so), I do not get this error, and Gnus starts up fine.  There
> are no byte compiles of anything being done during the time when I'm
> doing the series of start-up attempts.

Emm, I didn't see any error running Gnus in XEmacs 21.4.6 on Linux.
But I don't run it often.  Does anyone have any hint?

ShengHuo

* Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-08 20:03       ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-02-08 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
> Emm, I didn't see any error running Gnus in XEmacs 21.4.6 on Linux.
> But I don't run it often.  Does anyone have any hint?

No.  I'm running 21.4.6 on RH7.1 myself.  No problem here.

* Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-09  1:40   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2002-02-09  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> You can get around the problem with (setq gnus-use-byte-compile nil).
> If it works, probably there is a bug in the XEmacs byte-compile code.

A much better workaround that appears to be equally effective is to add:

;; Work around a bug in XEmacs 21.4 with the latest version of Gnus.  Loading
;; of byte-optimize when mail splitting starts can cause XEmacs to segfault.
(require 'byte-optimize)

to your .gnus or equivalent thereof.

* Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-09  1:41         ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2002-02-09  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>> Emm, I didn't see any error running Gnus in XEmacs 21.4.6 on Linux.
>> But I don't run it often.  Does anyone have any hint?

> No.  I'm running 21.4.6 on RH7.1 myself.  No problem here.

It doesn't happen all the time.  I see it around 50% of the time on
Solaris 8.  It has the hallmarks of a race condition of some kind, and may
also be platform-sensitive.

* Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-09  2:58           ` Len Blanks
From: Len Blanks @ 2002-02-09  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>>> Emm, I didn't see any error running Gnus in XEmacs 21.4.6 on Linux.
>>> But I don't run it often.  Does anyone have any hint?

>> No.  I'm running 21.4.6 on RH7.1 myself.  No problem here.

> It doesn't happen all the time.  I see it around 50% of the time on
> Solaris 8.  It has the hallmarks of a race condition of some kind,
> and may also be platform-sensitive.

It's the same with my Alpha at work running Digital Unix 5.60.

--
Len

If a 'religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains
unprovable statements, then Gödel taught us that mathematics is not
only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be
one. -- John Barrow

* Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
@ 2002-02-09  5:16     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-02-09  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> You can get around the problem with (setq gnus-use-byte-compile nil).
>> If it works, probably there is a bug in the XEmacs byte-compile code.
>
> A much better workaround that appears to be equally effective is to add:
>
> ;; Work around a bug in XEmacs 21.4 with the latest version of Gnus.  Loading
> ;; of byte-optimize when mail splitting starts can cause XEmacs to segfault.
> (require 'byte-optimize)
>
> to your .gnus or equivalent thereof.

Aha!  That did the trick!  (the require of byte-optimize)

As to why this started to be a problem for me in only recent Gnus
versions is still a mystery ... but all's well that ends well, and
so the reason for this mystery is now pretty much a moot point.

Thank you very much.

--

@ 2002-02-09 10:27       ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2002-02-09 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

OoO Pendant le journal télévisé du vendredi 08 février 2002, vers
20:12, ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> disait:

> Emm, I didn't see any error running Gnus in XEmacs 21.4.6 on Linux.
> But I don't run it often.  Does anyone have any hint?

I am running XEmacs 21.4.6 and sometimes, Gnus crashes when I byte
compile, sometimes when I don't. When this occurs, I simply comment or
uncomment the correspondant line in my .gnus. It is a long time I have
this problem. It occurs more often on the console than under X11.
--
NERVE GAS IS NOT A TOY
NERVE GAS IS NOT A TOY