From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Never mind
Date: 27 May 1997 19:50:45 +0200	[thread overview]

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Hm.  I'm not sure I understand what you're doing.  But the way I see
> it is like this:
>
>   - User starts PPP and dials the ISP
>   - User starts Emacs, starts Gnus
>   - User marks articles for download
>   - User invokes download command
>   - Gnus downloads articles
>   - User hangs up phone, maybe exits Gnus
>   - User looks at downloaded articles

Yes.  Except for the "starts Emacs, starts Gnus" and especially the
"exits Gnus" parts.  You should *never* do that.  *Ever*.  :-)

> IMHO no article should be considered as read until the user has looked
> at the downloaded copy.

I was thinking aloud about what to do with articles that the user has
decided not to download.  Because they are spam, or are too big, or
has a low score, or has bad hair.  I think they should be marked as
read upon group entry so that they are displayed (and the user can
mark them as downloadable so they'll be fetched at next download
time), but won't get in they way of normal reading.

I guess this means that the mark-as-downloadable command has to mark
the articles as unread, though.