From: Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
Subject: Re: Never mind
Date: 27 May 1997 18:24:21 +0200	[thread overview]

  Lars> Anyways -- the Gnus agent will always download headers, but
  Lars> only the articles that the user has requested (in one way or
  Lars> the other).  How should Gnus display these non-fetched
  Lars> articles in the summary buffer?  They must be displayed,
  Lars> because the user must have the opportunity to mark them as
  Lars> downloadable manually.  Should they be marked as read
  Lars> automatically, though?  Otherwise all the article selection
  Lars> commands will be kinda funky -- `n' will try to select these
  Lars> articles, which will lead to Gnus beeping "Article canceled"
  Lars> or something.

Hm.  I'm not sure I understand what you're doing.  But the way I see
it is like this:

  - User starts PPP and dials the ISP
  - User starts Emacs, starts Gnus
  - User marks articles for download
  - User invokes download command
  - Gnus downloads articles
  - User hangs up phone, maybe exits Gnus
  - User looks at downloaded articles

IMHO no article should be considered as read until the user has looked
at the downloaded copy.

But then, maybe you're doing something different entirely and I just
haven't been paying attention when you explained about nnagent back
when.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.