* Proper way to create new foreign groups
@ 1998-07-21 13:27 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-07-21 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use a named nnml backend to process mailing lists.  I've set up
nnmail-split-methods to sort the mail to the proper group.  What is the
approved method of introducing new foreigh groups to gnus?

I've tried the following:

1) Use 'G m' to create the group.
2) Set up nnmail-split-method to process the group
3) Wait for mail to arrive.

I think the problem is that I use a named nnml backend in my
secondary-select-method.  When I create the foreign group, it gets associated
with the default, unnamed, nnml backend.  When mail arrives, the next time I
enter gnus I see the group two times: once with an unnamed nnml backend, and
once with the named nnml backend.  Is there a better way to do this?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: Proper way to create new foreign groups
@ 1998-07-21 14:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-21 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I use a named nnml backend to process mailing lists.  I've set up
> nnmail-split-methods to sort the mail to the proper group.  What is the
> approved method of introducing new foreigh groups to gnus?
>
> I've tried the following:
>
> 1) Use 'G m' to create the group.

You don't have to do this.

> 2) Set up nnmail-split-method to process the group
> 3) Wait for mail to arrive.

Yup.  And then `F' will ask the backends for new groups, which will be
subscribed automatically.

* Re: Proper way to create new foreign groups
@ 1998-07-21 14:28 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 1998-07-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I use a named nnml backend to process mailing lists.  I've set up
> nnmail-split-methods to sort the mail to the proper group.  What is the
> approved method of introducing new foreigh groups to gnus?

	You don't normally create (G m) new mail groups, you wait for
Gnus to show them. If you're talking about groups in a foreign server,
for instance, then you can browse the server and use "u" to
(un)subscribe to new groups.

> 1) Use 'G m' to create the group.

	Don't do this. Gnus will create the "mail" (not foreign) group
for you.

> 2) Set up nnmail-split-method to process the group
> 3) Wait for mail to arrive.

	That's it, that's all you have to do. Sometimes the new group
is listed as zombie (use `A Z` to list all zombie groups). What I
normally do, is check if mail has arrived to the new group, and if it
has, then I do `j <new-group>`, set its level at 2, and then enter it.

	Note that <new-group> includes the name of the backend and the
"server name", e.g. I use the following:

      (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))

so, my mail groups are named: nnml+private:mail-group-name

> I think the problem is that I use a named nnml backend in my
> secondary-select-method.

	I don't think so, I also use a named nnml backend and I've
never had problems with it.

>  When I create the foreign group, it gets associated with the
>  default, unnamed, nnml backend.  When mail arrives, the next time I
>  enter gnus I see the group two times: once with an unnamed nnml
>  backend, and once with the named nnml backend.  Is there a better
>  way to do this?

	Yep, let Gnus take care of the creation of the group. The
problem is that a group has a name and a select method; where the
select method is a list with the first element being the backend and
the second the server name and AFAIK you cannot pass that list when
using `G m`.

hth,
Francisco
--