* nnmail-split-methods and regexp matching
@ 1997-09-26 18:08 hardaker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: hardaker @ 1997-09-26 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm in the process of switching from procmail to internal gnus
functions as I'm now forced to use a pop server.  Anyway, what I was
wondering is if the resulting folder name can be used as follows:

("\\1" "\\([A-Za-z]+\\)@blah.org")

IE, if I'm on multiple lists at one domain, can use use pattern
matching like the above so that it will sort m1@blah.org and
m2@blah.org into different gnus groups automatically?  (I'm guessing
no, but I haven't tried it and the docs don't mention that it handles
return values of the regexp match).

Wes
--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: nnmail-split-methods and regexp matching
@ 1997-09-26 20:13 ` Mark Moll
From: Mark Moll @ 1997-09-26 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> On 26 Sep 1997 11:08:58 -0700, hardaker  (h) wrote:
h> I'm in the process of switching from procmail to internal gnus
h> functions as I'm now forced to use a pop server.

Just curious, but why does that mean you can't use procmail? I use a little
script that pops my email using movemail and then invokes procmail to split
the messages. This script is then hooked into gnus with call-process.

--
Mark Moll

* Re: nnmail-split-methods and regexp matching
@ 1997-09-27  0:10   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-09-27  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Moll <mmoll@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Just curious, but why does that mean you can't use procmail? I use a little
> script that pops my email using movemail and then invokes procmail to split
> the messages. This script is then hooked into gnus with call-process.

It doesn't.  I use "fetchmail" to retrieve my mail from a pop server
and then let procmail filter as it's delivered.  Piece of cake.

http://locke.ccil.org/~esr/fetchmail/

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: nnmail-split-methods and regexp matching
@ 1997-09-27  3:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-27  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

hardaker@calwest.net writes:

> I'm in the process of switching from procmail to internal gnus
> functions as I'm now forced to use a pop server.  Anyway, what I was
> wondering is if the resulting folder name can be used as follows:
>
> ("\\1" "\\([A-Za-z]+\\)@blah.org")

Nope.

* Re: nnmail-split-methods and regexp matching
@ 1997-09-27 14:51 ` Kim-Minh Kaplan
From: Kim-Minh Kaplan @ 1997-09-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

hardaker> Anyway, what I was wondering is if the resulting folder name
hardaker> can be used as follows:

hardaker> ("\\1" "\\([A-Za-z]+\\)@blah.org")

I don't know if this will work with Gnus.  It certainly works if you
use `nnmail-split-fancy'.  But I would advise against using such
unrestricted regexps.  Unless Gnus explicitly escapes all the "." and
"/" in the user name, people could easily write some files just about
anywhere you can...

hardaker> "Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than
hardaker> you are of them."

What you suggest can be much more dangerous than ninjas :-)

Kim-Minh.

* Re: nnmail-split-methods and regexp matching
@ 1997-09-29  8:40   ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1997-09-29  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 hardaker> ("\\1" "\\([A-Za-z]+\\)@blah.org")

 Kim-Minh> I don't know if this will work with Gnus. It certainly
 Kim-Minh> works if you use `nnmail-split-fancy'. But I would advise
 Kim-Minh> against using such unrestricted regexps. Unless Gnus
 Kim-Minh> explicitly escapes all the "." and "/" in the user name,
 Kim-Minh> people could easily write some files just about anywhere
 Kim-Minh> you can...

The [A-Za-z] shouldn't let any dots through. Not even nice addresses
like <~/.rhosts@blah.org>.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: nnmail-split-methods and regexp matching
@ 1997-09-29 15:38     ` Kim-Minh Kaplan
From: Kim-Minh Kaplan @ 1997-09-29 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert> The [A-Za-z] shouldn't let any dots through.

Right, my mistake, forget that last part of my message.  But go for
`nnmail-split-fancy' (see Select Methods / Getting Mail / Fancy Mail
Splitting).

Kim-Minh.