* Filling articles
@ 1997-10-08 16:03 Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-10-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

After discovering `W w' I was a much happier man, because I wouldn't
have to read unintelligible articles with lines of unlikely length.

But actually, `W w' is not always what I want!  Some articles have a
couple of paragraphs of information that needs to be filled, and a lot
of lines which doesn't make sense in filled form (like tables,
C-programs, enumerations etc).

So, WIBNI if you could type M-q in the article buffer, and that would
act like M-q would in a text-buffer?

Talking of filling:  filladapt seems to have broken with the advent of
Emacs 20.  Is there an update in the works?  (It fills "> " in with the
rest of a paragraph.  Very uncool.)
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Filling articles
@ 1997-10-08 16:39 ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-10-08 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
> So, WIBNI if you could type M-q in the article buffer, and that would
> act like M-q would in a text-buffer?

Aw heck, I wasn't working anyway:

(defun my-gnus-article-fill-paragraph (arg)
  "Fill paragraph in gnus article buffer.
Works exactly the same as `fill-paragraph'"
  (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg 'full)))
  (save-excursion
    (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
    (let ((buffer-read-only nil))
      (fill-paragraph arg))))
(define-key gnus-article-mode-map "\M-q" 'my-gnus-article-fill-paragraph)

Any of you lisp-gurus see a problem with that?
--

@ 1997-10-12 21:57   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-10-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@mjolner.dk> writes:

> (defun my-gnus-article-fill-paragraph (arg)
>   "Fill paragraph in gnus article buffer.
> Works exactly the same as `fill-paragraph'"
>   (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg 'full)))
>   (save-excursion
>     (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
>     (let ((buffer-read-only nil))
>       (fill-paragraph arg))))
> (define-key gnus-article-mode-map "\M-q" 'my-gnus-article-fill-paragraph)
>
> Any of you lisp-gurus see a problem with that?

I don't quite see what this is supposed to do.  It just fills whatever
paragraph point happens to be in in the article buffer, right?

* Re: Filling articles
@ 1997-10-13  8:16     ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-10-13  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@mjolner.dk> writes:
> > (defun my-gnus-article-fill-paragraph (arg)
> >   "Fill paragraph in gnus article buffer.
> > Works exactly the same as `fill-paragraph'"
> >   (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg 'full)))
> >   (save-excursion
> >     (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
> >     (let ((buffer-read-only nil))
> >       (fill-paragraph arg))))
> > (define-key gnus-article-mode-map "\M-q" 'my-gnus-article-fill-paragraph)
> >
> > Any of you lisp-gurus see a problem with that?
>
> I don't quite see what this is supposed to do.  It just fills whatever
> paragraph point happens to be in in the article buffer, right?

Yep.  Are you implying there is an easier way of doing that?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-10-20 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@mjolner.dk> writes:

> > I don't quite see what this is supposed to do.  It just fills whatever
> > paragraph point happens to be in in the article buffer, right?
>
> Yep.  Are you implying there is an easier way of doing that?

No, I just don't see the utility of this.  Point in the article buffer
can be anywhere -- unless you select the window, you won't know.  So
the command would fill a semi-random portion of the buffer...

* Re: Filling articles
@ 1997-10-21  8:13         ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-10-21  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No, I just don't see the utility of this.  Point in the article buffer
> can be anywhere -- unless you select the window, you won't know.  So
> the command would fill a semi-random portion of the buffer...

Point is that the command is only bound to the article buffer, so you
have to select the window to fill the paragraph.

The utility of the function is that I don't want to fill things like
tables and other text where the information is also in the form.
`W w' doesn't discriminate against this...
--

@ 1997-10-21 20:01         ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1997-10-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> No, I just don't see the utility of this.  Point in the article buffer
LMI> can be anywhere -- unless you select the window, you won't know.  So
LMI> the command would fill a semi-random portion of the buffer...

WIBNI there were functions which, from the summary buffer, moved the point
in the article buffer.  It seems useless, but man do I really hate having to
C-xo all over the place to get to the article buffer so I can do some
little TM manipulation on it, then C-xo a few more times to get back.

 - J<

* Re: Filling articles
@ 1997-10-24 22:46           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-10-24 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@mjolner.dk> writes:

> Point is that the command is only bound to the article buffer, so you
> have to select the window to fill the paragraph.

Oh, ok.  But can't you just set `buffer-read-only' to nil in that
buffer (from a hook) and use `M-q'?

* Re: Filling articles
@ 1997-10-24 22:47           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-10-24 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> writes:

> WIBNI there were functions which, from the summary buffer, moved the point
> in the article buffer.  It seems useless, but man do I really hate having to
> C-xo all over the place to get to the article buffer so I can do some
> little TM manipulation on it, then C-xo a few more times to get back.

Hm...  perhaps.  Or you could just bind some macros to `C-x o etc'.

* Re: Filling articles
@ 1997-10-30 12:51             ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-10-30 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> writes:
>
> > WIBNI there were functions which, from the summary buffer, moved the point
> > in the article buffer.  It seems useless, but man do I really hate having to
> > C-xo all over the place to get to the article buffer so I can do some
> > little TM manipulation on it, then C-xo a few more times to get back.
>
> Hm...  perhaps.  Or you could just bind some macros to `C-x o etc'.

That would be a bad choice.  How about using the `h' command, which
is currently bound in Article buffers (bringing you to Summary)?  So
pressing `h' switches you between Summary and Article buffers?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia

* Re: Filling articles
@ 1997-11-05 13:07               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-05 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> That would be a bad choice.  How about using the `h' command, which
> is currently bound in Article buffers (bringing you to Summary)?  So
> pressing `h' switches you between Summary and Article buffers?

Ok.  Fix in Quassia Gnus v0.13.