* Scoring + expunge & threading
@ 1997-07-17  0:22 David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-07-17  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have started entering groups with thousands of messages, and use
extensive filtering in them, usually leaving less than 50 messages. I
have noticed that it possibly works like this:

1) Scoring
2) Threading
3) Expunging
4) Making summary

Wouldn't it be better if 3 and 2 changed place, so you don't have to
thread messages you won't see anyway? I might have this wrong, as the
threading-part might include the expunging as well. Can anyone clarify
this?

--
Ask five economists and you'll get five different explanations (six if
one went to Harvard).

* Re: Scoring + expunge & threading
@ 1997-07-19 18:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:

> Wouldn't it be better if 3 and 2 changed place, so you don't have to
> thread messages you won't see anyway? I might have this wrong, as the
> threading-part might include the expunging as well. Can anyone clarify
> this?

We don't know which articles to expunge before the threading has been
done.  For instance, dormant articles are expunged if they have no
children.