* old entries in .newsrc.eld..
@ 1997-03-10 11:16 Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-03-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looking in my .newsrc.eld I see lots of numbers :-) Articles
marked/saved replied for the different newsgroups, are these, and if
so when are they purged??

	/Andy
--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: old entries in .newsrc.eld..
@ 1997-03-11  4:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-11  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> Looking in my .newsrc.eld I see lots of numbers :-) Articles
> marked/saved replied for the different newsgroups, are these, and if
> so when are they purged??

Old marks are supposed to be removed when they fall outside of the
active range of the group.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: old entries in .newsrc.eld..
@ 1997-03-11 19:37   ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-03-11 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:
>
> > Looking in my .newsrc.eld I see lots of numbers :-) Articles
> > marked/saved replied for the different newsgroups, are these, and if
> > so when are they purged??
>
> Old marks are supposed to be removed when they fall outside of the
> active range of the group.

	Which of course means that if you have even 1 item in the cache
from 3 years ago, nothing since then will ever get purged.  Perhaps
it'd be a good idea to intersect these with the union of the real active
range and the items in the cache.  Using the current approach of taking
the smallest number in the real active & cache and the largest number in
real active & cache leaves a lot to be desired.

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_

* Re: old entries in .newsrc.eld..
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-12 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu> writes:

> 	Which of course means that if you have even 1 item in the cache
> from 3 years ago, nothing since then will ever get purged.  Perhaps
> it'd be a good idea to intersect these with the union of the real active
> range and the items in the cache.  Using the current approach of taking
> the smallest number in the real active & cache and the largest number in
> real active & cache leaves a lot to be desired.

Yup.  However, the real active range is now simply thrown away, so one
would have to have some sort of double bookkeeping thing going on...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen