* How to skip over ticked articles in summary buffer ?
@ 1997-04-13  4:42 Aharon Schkolnik
       [not found] ` <nragcyeq3.fsf@healdb.matat.health.gov.il>
From: Aharon Schkolnik @ 1997-04-13  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Most of my groups have a number of ticked articles in them. When I
enter the summary buffer from the group buffer
(gnus-topic-select-group), I usually want to skip right over those
ticked articles to get to the ones I haven't read yet. Is there a way
to get gnus to do this automatically ? If not, can someone help me try
to write some code to do this ? In fact, this probably should be
considered a feature request. Anyone else agree ?

TIA.

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   Aharon@Health.Gov.IL

* Re: How to skip over ticked articles in summary buffer ?
@ 1997-04-13  9:32 ` John Griffith
       [not found] ` <nragcyeq3.fsf@healdb.matat.health.gov.il>
From: John Griffith @ 1997-04-13  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> "AS" == Aharon Schkolnik <aharon@health.gov.il> writes:

AS> In fact, this probably should be considered a feature
AS> request. Anyone else agree ?

Yes.  I have the same problem - actually worse.  I use threads and
dummy nodes and sometimes (I guess because of how my sorting is setup)
I get dummy nodes sometimes before my ticked articles and some of my
ticked articles are below dummy nodes which means that I have to `T S'
to show all the threads and then manually look for unread articles and
manually move to them.  (Maybe I'm missing some command to move to
next unread.)  I would like to see immediately which messages are
unread and automatically go to those.

* Re: How to skip over ticked articles in summary buffer ?
@ 1997-04-13 10:29   ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-04-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> (Maybe I'm missing some command to move to next unread.)

---> . <---

* Re: How to skip over ticked articles in summary buffer ?
@ 1997-04-13 10:53     ` John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1997-04-13 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> "DM" == David Moore <dmoore@UCSD.EDU> writes:

DM> John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>> (Maybe I'm missing some command to move to next unread.)

DM> ---> . <---

Why yes, that does it.

Thanks!

* Re: How to skip over ticked articles in summary buffer ?
@ 1997-04-13 11:10     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-04-13 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Moore <dmoore@UCSD.EDU> writes:

> John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> > (Maybe I'm missing some command to move to next unread.)
>
> ---> . <---

Well, that is supposed to move to the first unread.  Press `n' to get
to the next unread article in the Summary buffer.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* PATCH: Skip over ticked articles in summary buffer
       [not found] ` <nragcyeq3.fsf@healdb.matat.health.gov.il>
@ 1997-04-15  7:55   ` Aharon Schkolnik
From: Aharon Schkolnik @ 1997-04-15  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I couldn't get anyone else to do it, so I did it myself :-)

The idea (and the patch) is simple: an option to allow you to enter
the summary buffer with the cursor positioned over the first unread
article, but without selecting the article. This is the way I like to
work, and it seems there are others who feel the same way.

What I did was add a simple function (which  I called
gnus-summary-goto-first-unread-article) which I stole mostly from
gnus-summary-first-article, and make a small change to
gnus-summary-read-group-1.

The new option is invoked by setting gnus-auto-select-first to
'position.

First of all, I would like to receive comments and suggestions on my
patch. I will then attempt to improve it as much as possible. Lastly,
I would like to know if this option could be integrated into gnus.

Here's the patch:

*** private-gnus-sum.el	Tue Apr 15 08:57:27 1997
--- /usr/local/lib/xemacs-19.15/lisp/gnus/gnus-sum.el	Wed Mar 26 07:33:23 1997
***************
*** 2601,2609 ****
  		 gnus-auto-select-first)
  	    (unless (if (eq gnus-auto-select-first 'best)
  			(gnus-summary-best-unread-article)
! 		      (if (eq gnus-auto-select-first 'position)
! 			  (gnus-summary-goto-first-unread-article)
! 			(gnus-summary-first-unread-article)))
  	      (gnus-configure-windows 'summary))
  	  ;; Don't select any articles, just move point to the first
  	  ;; article in the group.
--- 2601,2607 ----
  		 gnus-auto-select-first)
  	    (unless (if (eq gnus-auto-select-first 'best)
  			(gnus-summary-best-unread-article)
! 		      (gnus-summary-first-unread-article))
  	      (gnus-configure-windows 'summary))
  	  ;; Don't select any articles, just move point to the first
  	  ;; article in the group.
***************
*** 8660,8681 ****
  	 "Update summary buffer %s? "
  	 (lambda (buf) (switch-to-buffer buf) (gnus-summary-exit))
  	 buffers)))))
-
- (defun gnus-summary-goto-first-unread-article ()
-   "Goto, (but do not select)  the first unread article.
- Return nil if there are no unread articles."
-   (interactive)
-   (gnus-set-global-variables)
-   (prog1
-       (when (gnus-summary-first-subject t)
- 	(gnus-summary-show-thread)
- 	(gnus-summary-first-subject t)
- 	)
-     (gnus-summary-position-point)
-     (gnus-set-mode-line 'summary)
-     (gnus-configure-windows 'summary 'force)
-     )
-   )

  (provide 'gnus-sum)

--- 8658,8663 ----

    Me> Hi.

    Me> Most of my groups have a number of ticked articles in
    Me> them. When I enter the summary buffer from the group buffer
    Me> (gnus-topic-select-group), I usually want to skip right over
    Me> those ticked articles to get to the ones I haven't read
    Me> yet. Is there a way to get gnus to do this automatically ? If
    Me> not, can someone help me try to write some code to do this ?
    Me> In fact, this probably should be considered a feature
    Me> request. Anyone else agree ?

    Me> TIA.

    Me> -- The day is short, and the work is great, | Aharon Schkolnik
    Me> and the laborers are lazy, and the reward |
    Me> Aharon@Health.Gov.IL is great, and the Master of the house is
    Me> | impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2 |

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   Aharon@Health.Gov.IL
  is great, and the Master of the house is     |
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2     |

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   Aharon@Health.Gov.IL
  is great, and the Master of the house is     |
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2     |

* Re: PATCH: Skip over ticked articles in summary buffer
@ 1997-04-17  9:29     ` John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1997-04-17  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

After some discussion with Aharon, I would like to make a couple of
suggestions.

First, I like Aharon's idea that I should be able to enter a group and
be positioned on an article but without actually opening it.  This is
somewhat possible with the variable `gnus-auto-select-first'.  If its
value is `nil' then I enter the group with the cursor over the very
first article in the buffer, `best' positions the cursor on the
article with the highest score _and_ opens it.  Anything else
positions the cursor on the first unread article _and_ opens it.
Aharon's patch (`position') positions the cursor on the first unread
article but does not open it.  All of this leads me to the conclusion
that this poor variable has too many things to do :-)

What if instead, there were two variables - 1 to determine which
article the cursor would be positioned on (`nil' = first in buffer,
`best' = article with the highest score, anything else = the first
unread article) and 2 to determine independently whether that article
should be opened/shown/selected.

Second, this only controls the initial entry into the group.  The `.'
key (in the summary buffer) selects the next unread article, ','
selects the next best article, `N' selects the very next article.
These all move the cursor _and_ open the article.  I would like a way
to move to the next article _without_ opening it.  Sometimes I just
want to see what article is next but I don't want to open it because I
might decide simply from the subject that I don not want to read it
and therefore (if I'm using scoring) I do not want it to get
registered as an article that I chose to read.  Plus if its large and
far away I don't want to suck it across the net.  One way to do this
would be to have a variable setting so that (for instance) `.' would
only position the cursor and I would have to use `space' to open it.
Another possibility would be to toggle this behavior with `C-u .'.  So
in some groups I might want to never open articles by default but in
others I might want the opposite behavior and a `C-u' prefix would
allow me to override the current behavior.

* Re: PATCH: Skip over ticked articles in summary buffer
@ 1997-04-17 11:14       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-04-17 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> After some discussion with Aharon, I would like to make a couple of
> suggestions.

> First, I like Aharon's idea that I should be able to enter a group
> and be positioned on an article but without actually opening it.

So do I.  I've been pondering how to do this.

* Re: PATCH: Skip over ticked articles in summary buffer
@ 1997-04-17 11:21         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-04-17 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> After some discussion with Aharon, I would like to make a couple of
>> suggestions.

>> First, I like Aharon's idea that I should be able to enter a group
>> and be positioned on an article but without actually opening it.

> So do I.  I've been pondering how to do this.

In fact, I'd like to register for the record, that I like all of
John's suggestions.  Both the two-stage positioning and select, and
the navigate without selecting.

This is behaviour you (well... I...) want in groups with lots of
ticked articles.

* Re: PATCH: Skip over ticked articles in summary buffer
@ 1997-04-18 17:56           ` robert_pluim
From: robert_pluim @ 1997-04-18 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >>> First, I like Aharon's idea that I should be able to enter a
    >>> group and be positioned on an article but without actually
    >>> opening it.

You're right, C-u Enter just doesn't Do The Right Thing.

    >> So do I.  I've been pondering how to do this.

    Steinar> In fact, I'd like to register for the record, that I like
    Steinar> all of John's suggestions.  Both the two-stage
    Steinar> positioning and select, and the navigate without
    Steinar> selecting.

    Steinar> This is behaviour you (well... I...) want in groups with
    Steinar> lots of ticked articles.

I'll third this suggestion and add that I would like to be able to do all this
in the opposite direction as well (ie jump to first unread before
point, etc).

Robert

* Re: PATCH: Skip over ticked articles in summary buffer
@ 1997-04-19  1:59       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-19  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> What if instead, there were two variables - 1 to determine which
> article the cursor would be positioned on (`nil' = first in buffer,
> `best' = article with the highest score, anything else = the first
> unread article) and 2 to determine independently whether that article
> should be opened/shown/selected.

Ok; I'll add a new variable -- `gnus-summary-select-article-on-entry'
or something.  It'll default to t and will select whatever article
decided by that other variable.

> I would like a way to move to the next article _without_ opening it.

[...]

> One way to do this would be to have a variable setting so that (for
> instance) `.' would only position the cursor and I would have to use
> `space' to open it.

I'll add a new variable for this as well -- it can be a list that says
which selection commands should be unselecting.