* Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 12:45 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-15 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been to one cap-making place (I forgot the list at home.
Curses!) today.  They wanted NOK22 for 100% cotton caps with printing,
not embroidery.  Let's see...

  (/ (+ (* 22 1.23) 10) 7.2) => 5.1472222222222221

So these would be USD6 a pop.  (That *gross* markup goes toward paying
for envelopes and stuff.)  Including air-mail postage anywhere in the
world.  Well, if they weigh less than 50g.  Hm, they were light, but
probably not that light, eh?  Could someone out there who has a cap on
weigh it?

100g would be NOK20 instead of NOK10, which would bring the total
air-lifted price (to the US and elsewhere) up to USD7.

Cheap-ola, anyway.  Especially since the Norwegian crown is in a slump
at the moment.

But I want embroidery, I think.  Don't I?  So I'll check out some more
places tomorrow and see what I find.

(These were black caps, printing on the front, quite a long bill,
all-cotton surface everywhere, and the top was not divided into
sections and there were no "airing" holes on top.  Kinda narrow, in a
way.  One size fits all, though.  My guess is that they are not
sooper-dooper quality.  But they are NOK27, which is cheaper than
dirt.)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-18  7:22             ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-07-18  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dan Schmidt, ding

/ Stig Sandbeck Mathisen <ssm@rlyeh.net> wrote:

| DS> Actually, I think the ASCII art would look really cool.
|
| Especially in gold, yes :)

On second thoghts, why not green on a black background, honouring the
old text-terminals with the same appearance.. (Hmm quassia for me is
green.. probbaly due to some association to cucumber, but naah keep to
gold)

	/Andy

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-16  9:50           ` Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
From: Stig Sandbeck Mathisen @ 1997-07-16  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

--
 SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
  Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-16  1:17                 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-07-16  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Where's the "Compatibility" section? I can't see it.
>
> Search for it in the info pages Index.
>
> ==================
>
> File: gnus, Node: Compatibility, Next: Conformity, Prev: Why?, Up: History
>
> Compatibility
> -------------

[...]

Thanks.
--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 20:18               ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-15 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Where's the "Compatibility" section? I can't see it.

Search for it in the info pages Index.

==================

File: gnus, Node: Compatibility, Next: Conformity, Prev: Why?, Up: History

Compatibility
-------------

Gnus was designed to be fully compatible with GNUS.  Almost all key
bindings have been kept.  More key bindings have been added, of course,
but only in one or two obscure cases have old bindings been changed.

Our motto is:
                         In a cloud bones of steel.

All commands have kept their names.  Some internal functions have
changed their names.

The `gnus-uu' package has changed drastically. *See Decoding
Articles::.

One major compatibility question is the presence of several summary
buffers.  All variables relevant while reading a group are buffer-local
to the summary buffer they belong in.  Although many important variables
have their values copied into their global counterparts whenever a
command is executed in the summary buffer, this change might lead to
incorrect values being used unless you are careful.

All code that relies on knowledge of GNUS internals will probably fail.
To take two examples: Sorting `gnus-newsrc-alist' (or changing it in any
way, as a matter of fact) is strictly verboten.  Gnus maintains a hash
table that points to the entries in this alist (which speeds up many
functions), and changing the alist directly will lead to peculiar
results.

Old hilit19 code does not work at all.  In fact, you should probably
remove all hilit code from all Gnus hooks (`gnus-group-prepare-hook' and
`gnus-summary-prepare-hook').  Gnus provides various integrated
functions for highlighting.  These are faster and more accurate.  To
make life easier for everybody, Gnus will by default remove all hilit
calls from all hilit hooks.  Uncleanliness!  Away!

Packages like `expire-kill' will no longer work.  As a matter of fact,
you should probably remove all old GNUS packages (and other code) when
you start using Gnus.  More likely than not, Gnus already does what you
have written code to make GNUS do.  (Snicker.)

Even though old methods of doing things are still supported, only the
new methods are documented in this manual.  If you detect a new method
of doing something while reading this manual, that does not mean you
have to stop doing it the old way.

Gnus understands all GNUS startup files.

Overall, a casual user who hasn't written much code that depends on GNUS
internals should suffer no problems.  If problems occur, please let me
know by issuing that magic command `M-x gnus-bug'.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 17:42 C. R. Oldham
From: C. R. Oldham @ 1997-07-15 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>/ Joe Hildebrand <hildjj@mindspring.com> wrote:
>|
>| Can it be non-metallic, so those of us who sometimes have to reheat
>| their coffee (or tea) can stick the thing in the microwave?
>
>Naah think of the fireworks that you will be able to watch while
>zapping your drinks..

Actually, we here at NCA commissioned logo cups with our logo on the
side in metallic gold, and a metallic gold rim, and they are microwave
safe (no sparks).

I'd love a cup.  I don't wear hats either.  Good coffee cups are hard
to find--ceramic, thick enough to keep your beverage warm, large
enough to contain a decent amount of liquid.

| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham     | NCA Commission on Schools        |
| cro@nca.asu.edu               | Arizona St. Univ., PO Box 873011,|
| V:602/965-8700 F:602/965-9423 | Tempe, AZ 85287-3011           _ |
| "I like it!"--Citizen G'Kar   | #include <disclaimer.h>       X_>|

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 16:41           ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-07-15 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Joe Hildebrand <hildjj@mindspring.com> wrote:

| Can it be non-metallic, so those of us who sometimes have to reheat
| their coffee (or tea) can stick the thing in the microwave?

Naah think of the fireworks that you will be able to watch while
zapping your drinks..

	/a

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-15 16:39     ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-07-15 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

| That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
| cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

Hear hear! My Sun Microsystems mug will hold until x-mas (though it
has one crack..)

	/andy

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-15 14:18             ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-07-15 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:
>
> > Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
> >
> > > Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel
> >
> > What does "In a cloud bones of steel" refer to?  I must have missed
> > that somewhere along the line.
>
> It's the Gnus motto.  It says so in the manual, so it must be true.
> (It's in the "Compatibility" section.)

Where's the "Compatibility" section? I can't see it.

> It's the poem _The Bridge_ by Charles Reznikoff -- in full.

Cap, mug or both, I'm buying.

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 20:28       ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-07-14 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> P.S. I don't own a pickup truck and have never been a guest on Rikki
> Lake or of the military.  I just find caps convenient when playing
> golf and tennis because of the bright sun and my long hair.  :-)

Caps are almost necessary when painting a house in warm
weather. Especially if your hair is kinda long. It helps to keep hair
out of your face, as well as stopping the sweat from dropping all over
your face. :-)

--
Westheimer's Discovery:
	A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 20:25     ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-07-14 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I'd rather have that cup, but for me a cap would be useful for
rainy days, as well as the sunny ones. A cap works perfectly as to
protect my glasses from raindrops! It's most likely more useful than
to protect them from sun (especially when biking).

--
drug, n:
	A substance that, injected into a rat, produces a scientific paper.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 18:37       ` Leonard Blanks
From: Leonard Blanks @ 1997-07-14 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

 JRM> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
 >> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven caps cooler
 >> than fabric-woven caps?

 JRM> No I don't think they are.  I think we should avoid two kinds of
 JRM> caps.
 JRM> 1) caps with a foam rubber bill covered with that shiny paint
 JRM>    that tends to peel off and crack
 JRM> 2) caps with plastic mesh anywhere on it.

Only the propeller should be plastic.

--
Len

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 17:58     ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1997-07-14 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    larsi> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven
    larsi> caps cooler than fabric-woven caps?

Once upon a time I intended to look into this, but never got the
time.

The best type of caps are 6-panel cloth caps with an adjustable band
at the back (leather strap with a buckle; the adjustable plastic ones
then to breakdown over time).

Take a look at the pics at: <http://www.jplerc.org/jpl.htm> for the
caps.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 16:50     ` Danny Siu
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Danny Siu @ 1997-07-14 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

  Lars> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven caps cooler
  Lars> than fabric-woven caps?

The fabric-woven cap definitely looks cooler even if it doesn't feel as cool
as the plastic one.  ;-)

--
                                                                ^..^
 '/..\"                                                        ( oo )  )~

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                           ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 15:31         ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1997-07-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

    Lars> A deep, verdant green for the mug and the image in, uhm,
    Lars> gold.  Unless several different colors won't be more
    Lars> expensive, and we'll see about color printing and stuff.
    Lars> I'll have to ask around a bit.

Can it be non-metallic, so those of us who sometimes have to reheat
their coffee (or tea) can stick the thing in the microwave?

--
Joe Hildebrand
Senior Technical Architect
Research and Development
Interlink Group, Inc.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 14:58         ` Dan Schmidt
From: Dan Schmidt @ 1997-07-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

| I've been pondering the design of the possible cup.  Howxabout
| something along the lines of:
|

|                         _    ___ _             _
|                          _ ___ __ ___  __    _ ___
| _____________________    __   _     ___    __  ___   __________________________
|                              _           ___     _
|                             _  _ __             _
|                             ___   __            _
|                                   __           _
|                                    _      _   _
|                                   _      _    _
|                                      _  _    _
|                                  __  ___
|                                 _   _ _     _
|                                _   _
|                              _    _
| Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel
| _______________________    _   ________________________________________________
|                          __
|

| Print it out and wrap it around a mug and see how it looks.  :-)
|
| (The real version won't be ascii art, of course.)

Actually, I think the ASCII art would look really cool.

--
                 Dan Schmidt -> dfan@harmonixmusic.com, dfan@alum.mit.edu
Honest Bob & the                http://www2.thecia.net/users/dfan/

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-14 13:49     ` Jason R Mastaler
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-14 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anyone have any experience with caps?  Are plastic-woven caps cooler
> than fabric-woven caps?

No I don't think they are.  I think we should avoid two kinds of caps.
1) caps with a foam rubber bill covered with that shiny paint that
tends to peel off and crack 2) caps with plastic mesh anywhere on it.
Both kind of caps look really cheap and don't hold up to stress well.
Harder to wash too.  I like hard brimmed baseball style caps "one size
fits all" with an all cotton surface, or a cotton-polyester blend.

@ 1997-07-14 13:35       ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-07-14 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
> > cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)
>
> The question is if it will still be summer when they are ready. How
> about a combo-kit to make everyone happy? That would give you
> something to wrap the mug in as well. No, you better make that a fur
> hat. :-)

  Hey - I'd go for that!  As long as the bundle was < $40US

-Bill P.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 12:11     ` Johan Danielsson
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-07-14 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
> cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

The question is if it will still be summer when they are ready. How
about a combo-kit to make everyone happy? That would give you
something to wrap the mug in as well. No, you better make that a fur
hat. :-)

/Johan

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 11:29       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> (Yes, more forehead is sunburned.  *sniffle* And my knees as
  Lars> well, but a cap wouldn't help with that.  Oh, I guess I could
  Lars> put caps on my knees as well.  Problem solved!)

  Lars> That'd be a knee cap, then.

I've already got two of those.  Don't you, Lars?

SCNR,
kai (ambiguity intended)
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 11:23     ` Fredrik Gl÷ckner
                       ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Fredrik Gl÷ckner @ 1997-07-14 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

| The cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

*Hail!*

Fredrik

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 11:14     ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
                       ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1997-07-14 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (Yes, more forehead is sunburned.  *sniffle*  And my knees as well,
> but a cap wouldn't help with that.  Oh, I guess I could put caps on my
> knees as well.  Problem solved!)

That'd be a knee cap, then.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 10:11           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-14 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel
>
> What does "In a cloud bones of steel" refer to?  I must have missed
> that somewhere along the line.

It's the Gnus motto.  It says so in the manual, so it must be true.
(It's in the "Compatibility" section.)

It's the poem _The Bridge_ by Charles Reznikoff -- in full.

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14 10:09   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (7 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

fredrigl@math.uio.no (Fredrik Glockner) writes:

> I'd like the cap, really.  I've always wanted to wear a cap in the
> summer to avoid getting sunburn.  But somehow I've never dared going
> out to actually buy one.  They all have ugly design, too.  This would
> be my great chance, I figure, to finally get a nice one.

That was my thought, too.  So I'm flip-flopping on this again.  The
cups can wait, but it's summer here now, and I want a cap.  :-)

I'll look through some catalogs and visit a few cap-making places to
see if I can find some caps that 1) are cheap, 2) there is no two, 3)
don't look cheap, and 4) would not be something I'd be embarrassed to
be seen out on the street in (much).

If I can't find caps to satisfy these criteria, I'll go with cups.
But if I do caps now, I'll probably do cups for Millennium Gnus this
Xmas.

@ 1997-07-14  8:34         ` Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
From: Stig Sandbeck Mathisen @ 1997-07-14  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> A deep, verdant green for the mug and the image in, uhm, gold.

Sounds good, only make it a big mug.  I drink lots of tea, and need a
big mug, so I don't have to leave the computer so often :)

--
 SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
  Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14  3:36         ` Jason R Mastaler
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-14  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Quassia Gnus                _    _                    In a cloud bones of steel

What does "In a cloud bones of steel" refer to?  I must have missed
that somewhere along the line.

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
@ 1997-07-14  1:40         ` Andrew J Cosgriff
                           ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1997-07-14  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Seasons tend to depend on which side of the planet you live. I'd
>> rather have something I could use at least some part of the year -
>> hmm, like an umbrella or something. :-)

lmi> So we should do cups since it's winter in Australia now.  :-)

Funny you should mention that, since when I read this post, and the
other quoted one, I look out my window and see a clear blue sky
(although it's still cold :).

Design looks cool.  I don't think i've had a green mug before
("oo-er", as my english relatives say :)

Andrew
--
 - Andrew J. Cosgriff -        >> see X-headers >>       ajc@bing.wattle.id.au
       LOOK!!  Sullen American teens wearing MADRAS shorts and "Flock of

* Re: Quo Vadis, Quassia?
                           ` (4 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> Seasons tend to depend on which side of the planet you live. I'd
> rather have something I could use at least some part of the year -
> hmm, like an umbrella or something. :-)

So we should do cups since it's winter in Australia now.  :-)

I think it looks like cups are way more popular than caps.  I guess
I'll just have to buy a non-Gnus cap for myself to wear when reading
out on the veranda.  Oh, the horrors of it all!

[...]

I'll probably use the Saddam Hussein of typefaces, Futura
Semicondensed Extra Bold, for the text.  I hear that Syntax is
supposed to be all cute and stuff, but I don't have that...

A deep, verdant green for the mug and the image in, uhm, gold.  Unless
several different colors won't be more expensive, and we'll see about
color printing and stuff.  I'll have to ask around a bit.

Uhm.  Unless anybody has a different idea for the design.  Design
away, anybody who feels the calling...