* Problems including spam
@ 2002-12-31  9:26 Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2002-12-31  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I've got problems activating spam.el on my system.

Vitals:
- XEmacs 21.4 (patch 11) "Native Windows TTY Support" [Lucid]
  (i386-unknown-freebsd4.7, Mule) of Wed Dec 18 2002 on
  viteno.dyns.net

- Oort Gnus v0.08

If I include the snippet

(require 'spam)
(setq spam-junk-mailgroups '("tomb")
      spam-use-bogofilter t)

into my gnus.el, I get the following error on startup:

,----[ spam.bt ]
| Signaling: (error "Invalid prefix keys in sequence" ?S "St")
|   define-key(#<keymap size 386 0x33bc> "St" spam-bogofilter-score)
|   gnus-define-keys-1(gnus-summary-mode-map ("St" spam-bogofilter-score "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "Mst" spam-bogofilter-score "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "ä" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam))
|   byte-code("..." [gnus-summary-highlight gnus-define-keys-1 gnus-summary-mode-map ("St" spam-bogofilter-score "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "Mst" spam-bogofilter-score "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "ä" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam) ((eq mark gnus-spam-mark) . gnus-splash-face)] 3)
|   load-internal("spam" nil t nil binary)
|   load("spam" nil t nil)
|   require(spam)
|   byte-code("..." [spam-use-bogofilter spam-junk-mailgroups gnus-global-score-files gnus-summary-mode-map gnus-adaptive-score-alist define-key [(control c) x] gnus-scum-expunge require gnus-score expand-file-name "~/.xemacs/gnus/.score/spam.score" mapcar #<compiled-function (x) "...(20)" [x from remove] 4> spam ("tomb") t gnus-demon-add-handler nk-gnus-demon-scan-news 60 nil gnus-demon-add-rescan] 4)
|   load-internal("~/.xemacs/gnus/gnus.elc" nil t nil binary)
|   load("~/.xemacs/gnus/gnus.elc" nil t)
|   gnus-read-init-file()
|   gnus-1(nil nil nil)
|   gnus(nil)
|   call-interactively(gnus)
`----

I've tried a (require 'gnus-sum) beforehand, but to no avail.  It
works if I start Gnus and load spam afterwards, so I think, it's
simply sort of a timing problem.  Any pointers?

Another thing (although I might have misread the manual): I've thought
messages in spam-junk-mailgroups should be marked automatically as
SPAM, but this is not the case.  Am I missing some option or should I
add the complete group name along with the backend (nnml in my case)?

Thanks,
norbert.

* Re: Problems including spam
@ 2002-12-31 17:10 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2002-12-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, nk@viteno.net wrote:
> ,----[ spam.bt ]
> | Signaling: (error "Invalid prefix keys in sequence" ?S "St")
> | define-key(#<keymap size 386 0x33bc> "St" spam-bogofilter-score)
> | gnus-define-keys-1(gnus-summary-mode-map ("St"
> | spam-bogofilter-score "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "Mst"
> | spam-bogofilter-score "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "ä"
> | gnus-summary-mark-as-spam)) byte-code("..."
> | [gnus-summary-highlight gnus-define-keys-1 gnus-summary-mode-map
> | ("St" spam-bogofilter-score "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "Mst"
> | spam-bogofilter-score "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam "ä"
> | gnus-summary-mark-as-spam) ((eq mark gnus-spam-mark)
> | . gnus-splash-face)] 3) load-internal("spam" nil t nil binary)
> | load("spam" nil t nil) require(spam) byte-code("..."
> | [spam-use-bogofilter spam-junk-mailgroups gnus-global-score-files
> | gnus-summary-mode-map gnus-adaptive-score-alist define-key
> | [(control c) x] gnus-scum-expunge require gnus-score
> | expand-file-name "~/.xemacs/gnus/.score/spam.score" mapcar
> | #<compiled-function (x) "...(20)" [x from remove] 4> spam ("tomb")
> | t gnus-demon-add-handler nk-gnus-demon-scan-news 60 nil
> | gnus-demon-add-rescan] 4) load-internal("~/.xemacs/gnus/gnus.elc"
> | nil t nil binary) load("~/.xemacs/gnus/gnus.elc" nil t)
> | gnus-read-init-file() gnus-1(nil nil nil) gnus(nil)
> | call-interactively(gnus)
> `----
>
> I've tried a (require 'gnus-sum) beforehand, but to no avail.  It
> works if I start Gnus and load spam afterwards, so I think, it's
> simply sort of a timing problem.  Any pointers?

Strange, it works for me.  Maybe I load something in my .gnus that
sets up that prefix, this is what I use:

(require 'smtpmail)                     ; we use SMTP to send mail out
(require 'gnus-msg)
(require 'gnus-uu)
(require 'message)
(require 'message-x)
(require 'mm-util)
(require 'boxquote)
(require 'spam)
(require 'w3m)

Can you check on that?  I'm working on spam.el right now, so it would
be helpful if you could look into it if you can't wait.

> Another thing (although I might have misread the manual): I've
> thought messages in spam-junk-mailgroups should be marked
> automatically as SPAM, but this is not the case.  Am I missing some
> option or should I add the complete group name along with the
> backend (nnml in my case)?

You need the complete group name, it's not a regex.

I'm working on adding a group parameter "spam-contents" right now that
would tell spam.el to process messages as spam for a specific group,
with the related global variable.  Wait a few hours :)

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Problems including spam
@ 2003-01-02  0:15 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-02  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nk

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003, tzz@lifelogs.com wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jan 2003, nk@viteno.net wrote:
>> (require 'gnus-uu) is necessary for the key bindings in spam.el to
>> work.  Maybe it would be a good thing to put this statement into
>> the file?
>
> That's fine with me, does anyone have an objection?

With no objections, spam.el now requires gnus-uu.el :)

>>> I'm working on adding a group parameter "spam-contents" right now
>>> that would tell spam.el to process messages as spam for a specific
>>> group, with the related global variable.  Wait a few hours :)
>>
>> Done, I'm using the new version :-)
>
> It's not working yet, I posted yesterday to the ding list asking for
> comments on the suggested mechanism of group spam content
> classification and spam processors.  The spam.el code to use those
> group parameters is not done yet, maybe I'll get to it today.

OK, the spam-contents parameter and its friends spam-process and
spam-process-destination are in CVS now.  Out of them, only
spam-contents is used right now at summary entry time, but I'll work
on the other functionality.

The defcustoms and group parameters were the hardest part to code and
debug.  It's *all* user-customizable now.  The code to use the
customizations should be 10x easier than before :)

Everyone who uses spam.el: do (customize-group "spam") and also look
at the new group parameters for spam processing (spam-process,
spam-contents, spam-process-destination).  I would appreciate any
feedback, especially on the documentation and appearance of those
variables.

Also, the format of spam-spam-marks and spam-ham-marks has changed.  I
use a set now, thanks to Kai's suggestion, so in the unlikely event
you have customized those marks, you'll have to redo the
customization.  It looks a lot better now, though.

Ted

* Re: Problems including spam
@ 2003-01-01 14:42 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-01 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nk

@ 2003-01-01 14:31 Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-01-01 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Happy new year.

> Can you check on that?  I'm working on spam.el right now, so it would
> be helpful if you could look into it if you can't wait.

I've been away for the last 24 hours, no need to hurry :-)  It took
the message more than one day to get through (thus the double posting
...).

(require 'gnus-uu) is necessary for the key bindings in spam.el to
work.  Maybe it would be a good thing to put this statement into the
file?

> You need the complete group name, it's not a regex.

Thanks, changed... waiting for new spam to arrive.