* Custom headers in gnus for replies
@ 2002-10-14  1:39 Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2002-10-14  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using gnus to read mailing lists which have been gated to newsgroups.
The news gateways are one way - when I want to reply I have to mail
to the original recipients.

The gateway software allows this by inserting headers like

Currently I always edit the reply mails by hand and cut and paste the list
from X-Original-cc and X-Mailing-List. Due to the arcane mail header syntax
this sometimes leads to corrupted lists, especially when the cc list
is complex and was spread over multiple lines.

Is there a way to get gnus to do this for me? Basically I just want
it to interpret X-Mailing-List as another From/Cc (to be inserted
in the recipient list with group reply) and process the X-Original-Cc
like a normal cc header.

Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

-Andi

* Re: Custom headers in gnus for replies
@ 2002-12-28 23:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> writes:

> I'm using gnus to read mailing lists which have been gated to newsgroups.
> The news gateways are one way - when I want to reply I have to mail
> to the original recipients.
>
> The gateway software allows this by inserting headers like

> Currently I always edit the reply mails by hand and cut and paste the list
> from X-Original-cc and X-Mailing-List. Due to the arcane mail header syntax
> this sometimes leads to corrupted lists, especially when the cc list
> is complex and was spread over multiple lines.
>
> Is there a way to get gnus to do this for me? Basically I just want
> it to interpret X-Mailing-List as another From/Cc (to be inserted
> in the recipient list with group reply) and process the X-Original-Cc
> like a normal cc header.
>
> Is there any easy way to do this?

There is now.  I've extended `message-get-reply-headers' to take a
list of headers to be picked at.  So you can say:

(defun andi-wide-reply ()
  (message-get-reply-headers t nil '("to" "cc" "from" "x-mailing-list"
                                     "x-original-cc")))
(setq message-wide-reply-to-function 'andi-wide-reply)

And that's untested code, but it might work.  :-)