* can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
@ 2010-11-12 17:33 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-11-12 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Normally to scroll an article just one line, one hits RET (gnus-summary-scroll-up).

However, after using
   h runs the command gnus-summary-select-article-buffer
   (with `gnus-widen-article-buffer' set, to show only the article buffer)

RET just gives
   widget-button-press: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article gmane.linux.debian.user.news*>

Maybe one could say it is due to my
http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/ using emacs-w3m or something.
However widget-button-press should be smart enough to know that when the
cursor is not upon a link it should just act like RET does in the
*Summary* buffer.

One would think that J (w3m-scroll-up-1) would do what we want, but we
find in gnus *Article* buffer that is not bound, which reveals another
bug: J, i, etc. unbound keys, when typed into the *Article* buffer,
cause it to fly back to the top of the article, instead of having the
article remain in place.

By the way, in pure emacs-w3m, if J is the way to scroll one line, why
is there no w3m-scroll-down-1 function/binding?

$ apt-show-versions emacs-snapshot w3m-el-snapshot
emacs-snapshot/sid uptodate 1:20101030-1
w3m-el-snapshot/unstable uptodate 1.4.400+0.20100725-1

* Re: can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
@ 2010-11-14 16:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Normally to scroll an article just one line, one hits RET
> (gnus-summary-scroll-up).
>
> However, after using
>    h runs the command gnus-summary-select-article-buffer
>    (with `gnus-widen-article-buffer' set, to show only the article buffer)
>
> RET just gives
>    widget-button-press: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article
> gmane.linux.debian.user.news*>

Yes, that's how RET is bound in the article buffer.  The scroll-up thing
is only bound in the summary buffer.

* Re: can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
@ 2010-11-14 19:11   ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2010-11-14 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>
>> Normally to scroll an article just one line, one hits RET
>> (gnus-summary-scroll-up).
>>
>> However, after using
>>    h runs the command gnus-summary-select-article-buffer
>>    (with `gnus-widen-article-buffer' set, to show only the article buffer)
>>
>> RET just gives
>>    widget-button-press: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article
>> gmane.linux.debian.user.news*>
>
> Yes, that's how RET is bound in the article buffer.  The scroll-up thing
> is only bound in the summary buffer.

I think maybe he's asking whether it's possible to bind RET to a
function which, if on a button, toggles it and otherwise scrolls down
one. Although I may have misunderstood.

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 315 bytes --]

* Re: can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-14 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

> I think maybe he's asking whether it's possible to bind RET to a
> function which, if on a button, toggles it and otherwise scrolls down
> one. Although I may have misunderstood.

If he wants what `scroll-up-line' does in a buffer, he can just bind
that function to a key.  I don't think the Article buffer is special
here...

* Re: can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
@ 2010-11-16  4:42       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-11-16  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LMI> Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

>> I think maybe he's asking whether it's possible to bind RET to a
>> function which, if on a button, toggles it and otherwise scrolls down
>> one. Although I may have misunderstood.

Yes! Sounds great.

LMI> If he wants what `scroll-up-line' does in a buffer, he can just bind
LMI> that function to a key.  I don't think the Article buffer is special
LMI> here...

Yes. Reading with only the *Article* buffer visible, one quickly notices
that not all the basic keys have been bound yet. For example, it is so
frustrating that one can only scroll up or down several lines. If one
wants to scroll down one line, he must open back up the Summary buffer
just to do that. On the other hand, leaving Rupert's suggestion unbound
just mean that RET does nothing most of the time, when it could do
something all of the time.

* Re: can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
@ 2010-11-16  5:14         ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-11-16  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

By the way, with both the *Summary* and *Article* buffer showing, when you
see a URL in the *Article* buffer and click it with the mouse, you will get
    insert-for-yank: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical*>
unless you do C-x o to put the cursor into the *Article* buffer first.
Of course I use these http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/ files though.

* Re: can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
@ 2010-11-16 18:16           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-16 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> By the way, with both the *Summary* and *Article* buffer showing, when you
> see a URL in the *Article* buffer and click it with the mouse, you will get
>     insert-for-yank: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article
> gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical*>
> unless you do C-x o to put the cursor into the *Article* buffer first.

I'm unable to reproduce this bug.

* Re: can't scroll one line if only *Article* buffer showing
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-16 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Yes. Reading with only the *Article* buffer visible, one quickly notices
> that not all the basic keys have been bound yet. For example, it is so
> frustrating that one can only scroll up or down several lines. If one
> wants to scroll down one line, he must open back up the Summary buffer
> just to do that.

If you scroll up/down buffers one line a lot, then I'd suggest binding
some key globally to `scroll-up-line'.