* Utter frustration
@ 1998-09-21 15:44 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I cannot believe this is happening.

I'm seriously considering moving to slrn.  Or tin.  Or PINE.  Or
anything that would stop the pain.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Utter frustration
@ 1998-09-21 16:05 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1998-09-21 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

H> I cannot believe this is happening.  I'm seriously considering
H> moving to slrn.  Or tin.  Or PINE.  Or anything that would stop the
H> pain.

Sure, that would help.  You'd still have to edit the newsrc for those.

So, try this.  Make gnus write out a .newsrc as well as a .eld.  Edit
the .newsrc (easy with a quick macro and M-x apply).  Restart gnus.
Gnus should read both, with the article numbers in the .newsrc taking
precedence (because it's newer).

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
Never argue with a fool -- people might not be able to tell the difference.

* Re: Utter frustration
@ 1998-09-21 16:07 ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-09-21 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I'm seriously considering moving to slrn.  Or tin.  Or PINE.  Or
> anything that would stop the pain.

None of them would have helped. The problem remains the same.

You'll just have to M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET and
be done with it.

Jan

* Re: Utter frustration
@ 1998-09-21 17:31   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-09-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
> > I'm seriously considering moving to slrn.  Or tin.  Or PINE.  Or
> > anything that would stop the pain.
>
> None of them would have helped. The problem remains the same.

Gnus could be more helpful.  Something like:

(when (< last-article-number-on-server last-read-article-number)
  (if (yes-or-no-p "Server numbers have been reset, start on a fresh? ")
      (gnus-group-clear-data)
    (error "Server reset")))

I believe rn did that.

* Re: Utter frustration
@ 1998-09-21 17:43     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> > Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> >
> > > I'm seriously considering moving to slrn.  Or tin.  Or PINE.  Or
> > > anything that would stop the pain.
> >
> > None of them would have helped. The problem remains the same.
>
> Gnus could be more helpful.  Something like:
>
> (when (< last-article-number-on-server last-read-article-number)
>   (if (yes-or-no-p "Server numbers have been reset, start on a fresh? ")
>       (gnus-group-clear-data)
>     (error "Server reset")))
>
> I believe rn did that.

Yes, that would be very cool.  It would at least spare me the agony of
trying to edit .newsrc.eld, .newsrc, `G E' output, and finding about
`gnus-group-clear-data' and `gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups',
in no particular order.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Re: Utter frustration
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-23 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Gnus could be more helpful.  Something like:
>
> (when (< last-article-number-on-server last-read-article-number)

The problem here is that `last-article-number-on-server' is something
that may not be all that reliable.  For instance, I sometimes switch
between having `gnus-read-active-file' set to t, `some' and nil.  On
the nntp server I use, all these three return differing data.
(Vaguely differing.)  So this test would routinely trigger for me.

Being asked to nuke all the data in this situation would not be
helpful, since many people always answer "yes" to questions they do
not ask.  And that would be disasterous in this situation.

* Re: Utter frustration
@ 1998-09-29 13:29       ` Christopher Davis
From: Christopher Davis @ 1998-09-29 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

PA>  == Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>
LMI> == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>

 PA> Gnus could be more helpful.  Something like:
 PA> (when (< last-article-number-on-server last-read-article-number)

 LMI> The problem here is that `last-article-number-on-server' is
 LMI> something that may not be all that reliable.  For instance, I
 LMI> sometimes switch between having `gnus-read-active-file' set to t,
 LMI> `some' and nil.  On the nntp server I use, all these three return
 LMI> differing data.  (Vaguely differing.)  So this test would
 LMI> routinely trigger for me.

Toss in a fudge factor, then.  Very few resets are going to be less
than, say, 5000 articles or so, especially since we're in extremely late
September 1993...

"Vaguely differing" is probably <100, almost certainly <500, and almost
definitely <1000.  5000 is for extra extra safety.

(defcustom gnus-group-reset-fudge-factor 5000
  "Fudge factor when checking for reset article numbers.
If the article number goes backwards more than this number, ask the
user whether to reset the group."
   :group 'gnus-fixing-other-peoples-mistakes
   :type 'integer)

Okay, so the :group is probably going to have to change...

--
Christopher Davis * <ckd-sig@ckdhr.com> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>

* Re: Utter frustration
@ 1998-10-01  3:10         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-01  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Davis <ckd@ckdhr.com> writes:

> Toss in a fudge factor, then.  Very few resets are going to be less
> than, say, 5000 articles or so, especially since we're in extremely late
> September 1993...

I don't like fudge, especially when the results may be unpredictable.