* Gnus is asking for a username
@ 2013-02-14 11:24 mihkel
From: mihkel @ 2013-02-14 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi.

This has been going on for a while now, but now the limit has reached :)
I am subscribed to several newsgroups via gmane.org and whenever I hit c
(mark all articles read) in Group Topic buffer Gnus asks me a
username. I usually hit C-g to avoid providing one. All articles are
marked as read then.

I can read messages in gmane newsgroup without providing a
username.

What is going on?

Regards,
mihkel

* Re: Gnus is asking for a username
@ 2013-06-06 15:49 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-06-06 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:24:36 +0200 mihkel <turakas@gmail.com> wrote:

m> This has been going on for a while now, but now the limit has reached :)
m> I am subscribed to several newsgroups via gmane.org and whenever I hit c
m> (mark all articles read) in Group Topic buffer Gnus asks me a
m> username. I usually hit C-g to avoid providing one. All articles are
m> marked as read then.

m> I can read messages in gmane newsgroup without providing a
m> username.

m> What is going on?

I have no idea, sorry.  I've never seen this happen.

Ted

* Re: Gnus is asking for a username
@ 2013-06-06 18:49   ` mihkel
From: mihkel @ 2013-06-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thanks for the reply. Just writing to say that the problem is still
present. Now I use Ma Gnus v0.8, but the gnus init file related to
news.gmane.org has remained same:

(nntp "news.gmane.org"
        (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")
        (nntp-server-port 563)
        (nntp-stream ssl)

mihkel

@ 2013-06-07  7:11     ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2013-06-07  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mihkel; +Cc: ding

On Thu, Jun 06 2013, mihkel wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Just writing to say that the problem is still
> present. Now I use Ma Gnus v0.8, but the gnus init file related to
> news.gmane.org has remained same:

I'd sugget M-x toggle-debug-on-quit, so you'll get a backtrace when
hitting C-g that could help guessing where the problem comes from.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker / freelance consultant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Gnus is asking for a username
@ 2013-06-07  8:03       ` mihkel
From: mihkel @ 2013-06-07  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi.

After M-x toggle-debug-on-quit I get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit) signal(quit nil)
  byte-code("^H\204^G^@\301 \210\302\303\304\"\207" [debug-on-quit
  nntp-close-server signal quit nil] 3) byte-code("\306^H
  \n#\210^K\205^O^@\307^K\310\311#^\\312\216\310\313\314\217^U*\310\207"
  [-group -server -connectionless nntp-connection-timeout -timer
  nntp-with-open-group$ nntp-with-open-group-function(nil
  "news.gmane.org" nil #[nil
  "\306\307^HD^Y^Z^K\204^R^@\f\204^R^@\310^M!\210\311\312 \313#^^
  ^M^^!^N\"^N!;\203+^@\314^N!!\202-^@^N!\315\211^^#^$
  nntp-request-group("gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce"
  "news.gmane.org" nil
  ("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce" 6 ((1
  . 426)) ((seen (1 . 426))) "nntp:ne$
  gnus-activate-group("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce")
  gnus-sequence-of-unread-articles("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce")
  gnus-group-catchup("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce"
  nil) gnus-group-catchup-current() gnus-topic-catchup-articles("Gnus")
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-catchup-articles nil nil)

So it complains about news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce
- a newsgroup I'm subscribed to. In Browse Server buffer I don't see
that group anymore. Could this be the case? How I unsubscibe from
linux.redhat.fedora.announce, when I can't see it in Browse Server
buffer.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mihkel; +Cc: ding

mihkel <turakas@gmail.com> writes:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit) signal(quit nil)
>   byte-code("^H\204^G^@\301 \210\302\303\304\"\207" [debug-on-quit
>   nntp-close-server signal quit nil] 3) byte-code("\306^H

[...]

>   gnus-activate-group("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce")
>   gnus-sequence-of-unread-articles("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce")
>   gnus-group-catchup("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce"

[...]

> So it complains about news.gmane.org:gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.announce
> - a newsgroup I'm subscribed to.

Are you using the `c' command on this group, and that leads Gnus to
query you for a password?

> In Browse Server buffer I don't see that group anymore. Could this be
> the case? How I unsubscibe from linux.redhat.fedora.announce, when I
> can't see it in Browse Server buffer.

Just `j'ump to the group and kill it.

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php