* gnus-group missing require for gnus-util ?
@ 2013-06-14 17:19 Bojan Nikolic
From: Bojan Nikolic @ 2013-06-14 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

After a recent pull (first after a long time) I got hit by undefined
function gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces being
used from within gnus-group.el.

This function is defined in gnus-util so maybe gnus-group should require
gnus-util?

--
Bojan Nikolic          ||          http://www.bnikolic.co.uk

* Re: gnus-group missing require for gnus-util ?
@ 2013-08-01 14:44 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bojan Nikolic; +Cc: ding

Bojan Nikolic <bojan@bnikolic.co.uk> writes:

> After a recent pull (first after a long time) I got hit by undefined
> function gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces being
> used from within gnus-group.el.
>
> This function is defined in gnus-util so maybe gnus-group should require
> gnus-util?

gnus-group.el requires gnus.el, which requires gnus-util.el, so that
shouldn't be possible.  My guess would be that you have an old version
of gnus-util loaded before you load Gnus.

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php

* Re: gnus-group missing require for gnus-util ?
@ 2013-08-02  2:48   ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2013-08-02  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Bojan Nikolic <bojan@bnikolic.co.uk> writes:
>> After a recent pull (first after a long time) I got hit by undefined
>> function gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces being
>> used from within gnus-group.el.
>>
>> This function is defined in gnus-util so maybe gnus-group should require
>> gnus-util?

> gnus-group.el requires gnus.el, which requires gnus-util.el, so that
> shouldn't be possible.  My guess would be that you have an old version
> of gnus-util loaded before you load Gnus.

This sounds like the same thing I reported a couple weeks ago.  If you are on Fedora 19 (at least) the provided emacs has an old gnus-util compiled in.  My workaround is to explicitly load gnus-util in my .gnus.el file.  require won't cut it since it's already provided.  I've been meaning to report this as a bug to Fedora but haven't got around to it yet.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: gnus-group missing require for gnus-util ?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-02 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

> This sounds like the same thing I reported a couple weeks ago.  If you
> are on Fedora 19 (at least) the provided emacs has an old gnus-util
> compiled in.

Geez.  That's not good.  Anybody know why they'd do something like that?

> My workaround is to explicitly load gnus-util in my
> .gnus.el file.  require won't cut it since it's already provided.

Yup.

@ 2013-08-03  3:36       ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2013-08-03  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have now reported it as a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com.  Bug ID is 991625.

--

@ 2013-08-03 13:08         ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2013-08-03 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:
>>> This sounds like the same thing I reported a couple weeks ago.  If you
>>> are on Fedora 19 (at least) the provided emacs has an old gnus-util
>>> compiled in.

>> Geez.  That's not good.  Anybody know why they'd do something like that?

> I have now reported it as a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com.  Bug ID is 991625.

Still a bug (I believe anyway) but it's not what I thought.  I wasn't aware that emacs -q didn't also prevent loading of site-start.el.  When running emacs --no-site-file, gnus-util is not provided and Ma gnus works without need for any other workaround.  I've updated the bug report to indicate that the issue is in the site-start.el that Fedora provides.