* collapsed thread indicator change?
@ 2001-09-10 14:51 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-09-10 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I didn't see this in the manual: can the collapsed thread indicator
[...] be changed?  It would be great if the left side trough (sorry if
this is not the right term for it) that Emacs 21 has could be used to
indicate a collapsed thread, for instance.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: collapsed thread indicator change?
@ 2001-09-11 20:40 ` Martin Kretzschmar
       [not found]   ` <87g09t4dpt.fsf@bassanio.walfield.org>
From: Martin Kretzschmar @ 2001-09-11 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:

> I didn't see this in the manual: can the collapsed thread indicator
> [...] be changed?  It would be great if the left side trough (sorry if
> this is not the right term for it) that Emacs 21 has could be used to
> indicate a collapsed thread, for instance.

If I understand that part of emacs (you speak of the ``fringe'' btw),
there is little chance to do this (and Simons idea of indicating
encryption state in the fringe). The only possible pixmaps in the
fringe seem to be coded in C and are:

* line is wrapped (that \ replacement in the right fringe, the same
  thing horizontally ?mirrored/reflected?
* mode a -> arrow as replacement for $ when overlong lines are not
  wrapped (how's that mode called?) and again a ?reflected?  version
  for the left fringe
* the triangle used in debuggers (graphical replacement for the
  overlay-arrow-bla) and of course recent gnus' summary buffer.
* I thought I'd remember 7 glyphs...where's that source CD...can't
  find it...
* it's in something like src/xdisp.c...

I didn't read it carefully, so

please prove me wrong

	Martin

* Re: collapsed thread indicator change?
@ 2001-09-12 14:43   ` Martin Kretzschmar
       [not found]   ` <87g09t4dpt.fsf@bassanio.walfield.org>
From: Martin Kretzschmar @ 2001-09-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Kretzschmar <Martin.Kretzschmar@inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:
>
>> I didn't see this in the manual: can the collapsed thread indicator
>> [...] be changed?  It would be great if the left side trough (sorry if
>> this is not the right term for it) that Emacs 21 has could be used to
>> indicate a collapsed thread, for instance.
>
> If I understand that part of emacs (you speak of the ``fringe'' btw),
> there is little chance to do this (and Simons idea of indicating
> encryption state in the fringe). [snip]

OTOH you can change ... to something else (but you can't change its
position). Look for selective display in the elisp manual. Or try
this:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook
	  (lambda () (set-display-table-slot buffer-display-table
					     'selective-display
					     (string-to-vector "hit C-M-s for more"))))

	Martin

* Re: collapsed thread indicator change?
       [not found]     ` <877kv41o1c.fsf@mogli.aximilation.org>
@ 2001-09-12 16:01       ` Neal H Walfield
From: Neal H Walfield @ 2001-09-12 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Kretzschmar <Martin.Kretzschmar@inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:

>>> If I understand that part of emacs (you speak of the ``fringe'' btw),
>>> there is little chance to do this
>>
>> [ snip ]
>> > please prove me wrong
>>
>> I do not think this is what he is talking about at all.
>
> OK I focused completely on the not so important 2nd sentence but this
> was the third post with an emacs21-fringe idea which seems hard to
> implement, so I posted this.
>
>>                                                           Rather, my
>> interpretation is that he is suggesting that a few variables be added
>> to indicate how a collapsed / uncollapsed topic should be indicated to
>> the user.
>
> Now you've misunderstood something.

Er right, I misread thread as topic.

>  He is talking about threads which
> are a summary buffer thing. Hitting C-M-s on a parent of a thread
> hides its children and display an ellipsis [...] at the end of the
> line.
>
>>             Currently, in the default setup where
>> gnus-topic-line-format is "%i[ %(%{%n%}%) -- %A ]%v\n", we have the
>> following for an open topic:
>>
>>         [ misc -- 0 ]
>>
>> And:
>>
>>         [ misc -- 0 ]...
>>
>> for one which is collapsed (the `...' is create by the %v).
>>
>> Instead, %v should not be fixed and should be be replaced by, for
>> instance, gnus-topic-collapsed-string when collapsed and
>> gnus-topic-uncollapsed-string when open.
>
> Agreed. Search for gnus-topic-insert-topic-line in gnus-topic.el and
> find these two hardcoded. There would be a fast fix. But then, in
> gnus-sum.el, which controls what the OP wanted to customize, this
> doesn't work. The ellipsis is implemented completely differently
> there (without %v). I have almost found a way to change it there.
>
> 	Martin
>
> btw, why aren't we discussing this on the list?

Oops.  I hit the wrong keys.

* Re: collapsed thread indicator change?
@ 2001-09-13 18:51     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-09-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Kretzschmar <Martin.Kretzschmar@inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:

> OTOH you can change ... to something else (but you can't change its
> position). Look for selective display in the elisp manual. Or try
> this:
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook
> 	  (lambda () (set-display-table-slot buffer-display-table
> 					     'selective-display
> 					     (string-to-vector "hit C-M-s for more"))))

This is good enough for me, but I have two suggestions (following up
on yours and Neal's messages):

- make this a Gnus variable, and/or document it in the manual.  Many
  messages I get use "..." at the end of the subject, because the
  author used it, and perhaps others annoyed by the same thing will
  appreciate the feature too.

- Emacs coders, tell us how to add new pixmaps to the fringe :)  I can
  hack it myself eventually, but to someone who knows the code already
  this may be a 10-minute thing.

@ 2001-09-18 12:29       ` Martin Kretzschmar
From: Martin Kretzschmar @ 2001-09-18 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just another thought...

With Emacs 21 you can have display-margins. That is, you can leave
some columns empty at the left or at the right. Then, your normal text
can have some text or image assigned to display in that margin.

Eval this in the scratch buffer to see how it in action. (Warning,
manual elisp mail worm <g>)

(require 'time)  ;; to get an example icon
(setq left-margin-width 2)
;; Now C-x b to this buffer! See the new margin.
(insert (propertize "Bla" 'display `((margin left-margin)
                                     ,display-time-mail-icon)))

	Martin

* Re: collapsed thread indicator change?
@ 2001-09-18 13:55         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2001-09-18 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Kretzschmar <Martin.Kretzschmar@inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:

> With Emacs 21 you can have display-margins. That is, you can leave
> some columns empty at the left or at the right. Then, your normal text
> can have some text or image assigned to display in that margin.
>
> Eval this in the scratch buffer to see how it in action. (Warning,
> manual elisp mail worm <g>)
>
> (require 'time)  ;; to get an example icon
> (setq left-margin-width 2)
> ;; Now C-x b to this buffer! See the new margin.
> (insert (propertize "Bla" 'display `((margin left-margin)
>                                      ,display-time-mail-icon)))

That looks interesting.  The icon only showed up after I switched to
another buffer and then back to the scratch buffer, though.  I'm not
sure if that's expected Emacs 21 behavior.

@ 2001-09-19  9:47           ` Martin Kretzschmar
From: Martin Kretzschmar @ 2001-09-19  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com> writes:

> Martin Kretzschmar <Martin.Kretzschmar@inf.tu-dresden.de> writes:
>
>> (require 'time)  ;; to get an example icon
>> (setq left-margin-width 2)
>> ;; Now C-x b to this buffer! See the new margin.
>> (insert (propertize "Bla" 'display `((margin left-margin)
>>                                      ,display-time-mail-icon)))
>
> That looks interesting.  The icon only showed up after I switched to
> another buffer and then back to the scratch buffer, though.  I'm not
> sure if that's expected Emacs 21 behavior.

Yes, it's documented that way. Note the comment on the third line.

Just set the margin width before showing the buffer in a window.

I'll try to use that margin for indicating collapsed threads. When I
find something that works, I'll post it.

	Martin