* Make Category Score match on Re:
@ 1998-08-01 10:33 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-01 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trying to get more use out of the 'Agent' side of Gnus.  I am
experimenting on more complete or detailed categories and scores to
control downloading.  Following Kais pointer on using 'false' for
default I now have a set up like this:

default category =false
High category    =high
Re: Category     =high
Certain groups are assigned to each category.  Only one nntp server is
involved and is assinged to agent bu default.

The score for the 'High' category is a lenghty list of posters in "From"
format.
The score for the 'Re:' category looks like this:
(("subject"
  ("Re: " nil nil r)))
An attemp to catch only the reply postings in certain groups.

IT seems this category score is ignored when agent looks at the
headers.  So none of the articles with Re: in the subject are being
marked for download.  Four groups are assigned to this category. None
of the reply posting are being found.

Thinking gnus  might be set internally to ignore the Re: part of
subject header,  I tried it manually on a regular score file and it
does score all reply articlces nicely.

The info manual says the score for categories are in the same syntax
as regular score files.  But is the machinery that looks at category
scores  set up the same as regular scoring?

Does the scoring mechanism for category scoring ignore the "Re:" in
subject lines?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Make Category Score match on Re:
@ 1998-08-01 14:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-01 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does the scoring mechanism for category scoring ignore the "Re:" in
> subject lines?

I've looked over the code, and I couldn't see anything like that...
unless you have `gnus-score-thread-simplify' set.

* Re: Make Category Score match on Re:
@ 1998-08-01 18:39   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-01 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Does the scoring mechanism for category scoring ignore the "Re:" in
> > subject lines?
>
> I've looked over the code, and I couldn't see anything like that...

Probably more home grown bungling on my part.

> unless you have `gnus-score-thread-simplify' set.

gnus-score-thread-simplify's value is
nil
The only other thread related thing I have set (I think) is
(setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)

Checking some more this morning I see 3 of 4 groups assigned to the 'Re:'
category are working like I wanted so apparently I have something
misconfigured for the one group. 'G-p' shows 'nil'.

The groups where I want to screen only the replies are assigned to a
category like so:

Category 'Re:' high

Score: (("subject"
  ("Re: " nil nil r)))

Groups: ("comp.protocols.ppp" "alt.unix.wizards" "comp.editors"
"comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains")

alt.unix.wizards is not having replies screened for some reason.
The '@' mark is still being attached to postings with 'Re:' in the
subject and so they are not being downloaded.  The other three are
working fine.

How can I trace what is happening with alt.unix.wizards?  I hoped for
a simple spelling error or the like but see none.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-02 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Checking some more this morning I see 3 of 4 groups assigned to the 'Re:'
> category are working like I wanted so apparently I have something
> misconfigured for the one group. 'G-p' shows 'nil'.

Are you sure that the fourth group really belongs to the category you
think it belongs to, and no other category?

* Re: Make Category Score match on Re:
@ 1998-08-02 20:51       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-02 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Checking some more this morning I see 3 of 4 groups assigned to the 'Re:'
> > category are working like I wanted so apparently I have something
> > misconfigured for the one group. 'G-p' shows 'nil'.
>
> Are you sure that the fourth group really belongs to the category you
> think it belongs to, and no other category?

Yep I'm sure  -- but glory be it works now.  Only thing I can think of
is that the changes I was making hadn't been written when I checked
it out before.  So shutting down may have written to file.
Is that likely?

I've made no changes since previous post and have not even fired up
the instance with this setup - it is an experimental setup on a
seperate user account.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-02 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yep I'm sure  -- but glory be it works now.  Only thing I can think of
> is that the changes I was making hadn't been written when I checked
> it out before.  So shutting down may have written to file.
> Is that likely?

It's not impossible, but I don't think it's likely.