* Digest bursting
@ 1997-11-01 19:54 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-11-01 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am now subscribed to a digest-only mailing list, and I find that the
Gnus command to enter digest groups is not sufficient.  The VM
mailreader has the ability to "burst" digests, incorporating the
digested articles to the Summary buffer, instead of the original
digest -- which makes them easier to follow, in the sense of
rethreading with the original articles, expiry, etc.

Will Gnus support digest bursting in the future?  Does anyone else
think it might be useful?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Digest bursting
@ 1997-11-02  2:34 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-11-02  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I am now subscribed to a digest-only mailing list, and I find that the
> Gnus command to enter digest groups is not sufficient.  The VM
> mailreader has the ability to "burst" digests, incorporating the
> digested articles to the Summary buffer, instead of the original
> digest -- which makes them easier to follow, in the sense of
> rethreading with the original articles, expiry, etc.
>
> Will Gnus support digest bursting in the future?  Does anyone else
> think it might be useful?

  You should be able to hit 'C-d' in the summary buffer and be put into the
equivalent of a 'virtual folder' in VM-speak.  Then you can select the
articles and Br (respool) them to 'nnml'.

-bp

* Re: Digest bursting
@ 1997-11-02  3:44   ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1997-11-02  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

William M Perry <wmperry@aventail.com> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

>> Will Gnus support digest bursting in the future?  Does anyone else
>> think it might be useful?

>   You should be able to hit 'C-d' in the summary buffer and be put into the
> equivalent of a 'virtual folder' in VM-speak.  Then you can select the
> articles and Br (respool) them to 'nnml'.

As far as I know, that code has always worked pretty good.

If you use procmail, you can have it burst digests for you.  Here's a
couple of recipes I've been using for some time now:

# Risks Digest
:0
* ^Return-Path:.*((owner-)?risks(-owner)?|risko)@
* ^Subject:[    ]*RISKS DIGEST
{
	:0c:
	risks-digest.spool

	# Split the digest, since digests suck
	:0f:risks.spool.lock
	| formail -ds >> risks.spool

	:0
	/dev/null
}

# cola via email
:0
* ^(Sender|Return-Path):.*owner-[lL]inux-[Aa]nnounce@
{
	:0c:
	lnx-announce-digest.spool

	# Now attempt splitting the digest
	:0f:linux-announce.spool.lock
	| formail -ds >> linux-announce.spool

	:0
	/dev/null
}

* Re: Digest bursting
@ 1997-11-02 16:53   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-11-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> You should be able to hit 'C-d' in the summary buffer and be put
> into the equivalent of a 'virtual folder' in VM-speak.  Then you can
> select the articles and Br (respool) them to 'nnml'.

This doesn't work as nicely, because `B r' will not place the articles
to the correct group.  What I really want is something a sequence like
`C-d M P b B m <current-group> RET', where <current-group> will be the
group I am in -- but without the overhead of creating a virtual
subgroup.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
The end of the world is coming...  SAVE YOUR BUFFERS!

* Re: Digest bursting
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-05 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> This doesn't work as nicely, because `B r' will not place the articles
> to the correct group.  What I really want is something a sequence like
> `C-d M P b B m <current-group> RET', where <current-group> will be the
> group I am in -- but without the overhead of creating a virtual
> subgroup.

Ok; I've now added this to the todo list.

* RE: Digest bursting
@ 1997-11-03 14:00 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1997-11-03 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think it would be useful, being a VM convert as well...