* NEWS entries
@ 2003-04-29  1:14 Jesper Harder
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-29  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I took a *very* quick glance through the ChangeLog to look for new
user visible stuff missing in GNUS-NEWS.

(I'm pretty sure there are many, many other new options and commands,
so it's probably a good idea if other people also looked).

Here are some possible new entries -- please suggest corrections,
better wording (or if you don't think some of them are NEWSworthy)
etc.:

** Dired integration
`gnus-dired-minor-mode' installs key bindings in dired buffers to send
a file as an attachment (`C-c C-a'), open a file using the approriate
mailcap entry (`C-c C-f'), and print a file using the mailcap entry
(`C-c P').  It is enabled with

      (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'turn-on-gnus-dired-mode)

** Gnus can display RSS newsfeeds as a newsgroup.  To get started do `B
nnrss RET RET' in the Group buffer.

** Messages can be printed with the Muttprint program (`O P').

** Single-part yenc encoded attachments can be decoded.

** Picons
Picons are small "personal icons" representing users, domain and
newsgroups, which can be displayed in the Article buffer.  To enable
picons, install the picons database from

     http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/index.html

and point `gnus-picon-databases' to that location.

The picons code has been reimplemented to work in Emacs -- some
options have been removed or renamed.

** If the new option `gnus-treat-body-boundary' is non-nil, a boundary
line is drawn at the end of the headers.

** Retrieval of charters and control messages
There are new commands for fetching newsgroup charters (`H c') and
control messages (`H C').

** Delayed articles
You can delay the sending of a message with `C-c C-j' in the Message
buffer.  The messages are delivered at specified time.  This is useful
for sending yourself reminders.  Setup with (gnus-delay-initialize).

** If `auto-compression-mode' is enabled, attachments are automatically
decompressed when activated.

** If the new option `nnml-use-compressed-files' is non-nil,
the nnml back end allows compressed message files.

** Signed article headers (X-PGP-Sig) can be verified with `W p'.

** An arrow is displayed in the fringe to indicate the current article
Use (setq gnus-summary-display-arrow nil) to disable it.

** Warn about email replies to news
Do you often find yourself replying to news by email by mistake?  Then
the new option `gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news' is just the thing for
you.

** If the new option `gnus-summary-display-while-building' is non-nil,
the summary buffer is shown and updated as it's being built.

** The new `recent' mark "." indicates newly arrived messages (as
opposed to old but unread messages).

** The new option `gnus-gcc-mark-as-read' automatically marks
Gcc articles as read.

** The nndoc back end now supports mailman digests and exim bounces.

** Gnus supports RFC 2369 mailing list headers, and adds a number of
related commands in mailing list groups.

** The Date header can be displayed in a format that can be read aloud
in English, see `gnus-treat-date-english'.

** The envelope from can be customized when using Sendmail, see
`message-sendmail-envelope-from'.

** diffs are automatically highlighted in groups matching
`mm-uu-diff-groups-regexp'

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-04-29  2:29 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-04-29  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> I took a *very* quick glance through the ChangeLog to look for new
> user visible stuff missing in GNUS-NEWS.

Great!

> ** Messages can be printed with the Muttprint program (`O P').

We have this:

** Printing capabilities are enhanced.

Gnus supports Muttprint natively with O P from the Summary and Article
buffers.  Also, each individual MIME part can be printed using p on
the MIME button.

> ** Picons
> Picons are small "personal icons" representing users, domain and
> newsgroups, which can be displayed in the Article buffer.  To enable
> picons, install the picons database from
>
>      http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/index.html
>
> and point `gnus-picon-databases' to that location.
>
> The picons code has been reimplemented to work in Emacs -- some
> options have been removed or renamed.

This gives the appearance that Picons is a new feature, but isn't the
new part only that it has been reimplemented?  Maybe that could be
stressed more.

> ** An arrow is displayed in the fringe to indicate the current article
> Use (setq gnus-summary-display-arrow nil) to disable it.

** The Summary Buffer uses an arrow in the fringe to indicate the current article
Use (setq gnus-summary-display-arrow nil) to disable it.

?

> ** The new option `gnus-gcc-mark-as-read' automatically marks
> Gcc articles as read.

We have:

** gnus-inews-mark-gcc-as-read has been renamed to gnus-gcc-mark-as-read.

> ** The envelope from can be customized when using Sendmail, see
> `message-sendmail-envelope-from'.

** The envelope sender address can be customized when using Sendmail, see

@ 2003-04-29 17:19 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-04-29 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:

> I took a *very* quick glance through the ChangeLog to look for new
> user visible stuff missing in GNUS-NEWS.
>
> (I'm pretty sure there are many, many other new options and commands,
> so it's probably a good idea if other people also looked).

Are the new article buttons and `gnus-button-*-level's worth an entry?

The suggesting from Simon in
<news:iluznmhotyr.fsf@latte.josefsson.org> could be added:

** Upgrading from previous (stable) version if you have used Oort.

If you have tried Oort (the unstable Gnus branch leading to this
release) but went back to a stable version, be careful when upgrading
to this version.  In particular, you will probably want to remove all
.marks (nnml) and .mrk (nnfolder) files, so that flags are read from
your .newsrc.eld instead of from the .marks/.mrk file where this
release store flags.  See a later entry for more information about
marks.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-04-30  1:42   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-30  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> ** Messages can be printed with the Muttprint program (`O P').
>
> We have this:
>
> ** Printing capabilities are enhanced.
>
> Gnus supports Muttprint natively with O P from the Summary and Article

Ah, yes.

> This gives the appearance that Picons is a new feature, but isn't the
> new part only that it has been reimplemented?  Maybe that could be
> stressed more.

Maybe just switch the two paragraphs:

** Picons
The picons code has been reimplemented to work in GNU Emacs -- some of
the previous options have been removed or renamed.

Picons are small "personal icons" representing users, domain and
newsgroups, which can be displayed in the Article buffer.  To enable
picons, install the picons database from

      http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/index.html

and point `gnus-picon-databases' to that location.

?

> ** The Summary Buffer uses an arrow in the fringe to indicate the current article
> Use (setq gnus-summary-display-arrow nil) to disable it.
>
> ?

Yup.

>> ** The new option `gnus-gcc-mark-as-read' automatically marks
>> Gcc articles as read.
>
> We have:
>
> ** gnus-inews-mark-gcc-as-read has been renamed to gnus-gcc-mark-as-read.

Hmm, but gnus-inews-mark-gcc-as-read was also new in Oort before it
was renamed (I think).  So maybe it's not mentioning it at all because
it was never part of a released Gnus version?

> ** The envelope sender address can be customized when using Sendmail, see
> `message-sendmail-envelope-from'.
>
> ?

Yup.

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-04-30  1:45   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-30  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 29 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> I took a *very* quick glance through the ChangeLog to look for new
>> user visible stuff missing in GNUS-NEWS.
>>
>> (I'm pretty sure there are many, many other new options and commands,
>> so it's probably a good idea if other people also looked).
>
> Are the new article buttons and `gnus-button-*-level's worth an entry?

Definitely, IMHO.  It's very user visible.

> The suggesting from Simon in
> <news:iluznmhotyr.fsf@latte.josefsson.org> could be added:
>
> ** Upgrading from previous (stable) version if you have used Oort.
>
> If you have tried Oort (the unstable Gnus branch leading to this

I think it's a good idea.

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-04-30  2:42     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-04-30  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

>> This gives the appearance that Picons is a new feature, but isn't the
>> new part only that it has been reimplemented?  Maybe that could be
>> stressed more.
>
> Maybe just switch the two paragraphs:
>
> ** Picons
> The picons code has been reimplemented to work in GNU Emacs -- some of
> the previous options have been removed or renamed.
>
> Picons are small "personal icons" representing users, domain and
> newsgroups, which can be displayed in the Article buffer.  To enable
> picons, install the picons database from
>
>       http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/index.html
>
> and point `gnus-picon-databases' to that location.
>
> ?

I like it.

>>> ** The new option `gnus-gcc-mark-as-read' automatically marks
>>> Gcc articles as read.
>>
>> We have:
>>
>> ** gnus-inews-mark-gcc-as-read has been renamed to gnus-gcc-mark-as-read.
>
> Hmm, but gnus-inews-mark-gcc-as-read was also new in Oort before it
> was renamed (I think).  So maybe it's not mentioning it at all because
> it was never part of a released Gnus version?

Yes, replace it with your entry.

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-04-30 14:55     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-04-30 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>> Are the new article buttons and `gnus-button-*-level's worth an entry?
>
> Definitely, IMHO.  It's very user visible.

Added.  Feel free to improve the wording, if necessary.

>> If you have tried Oort (the unstable Gnus branch leading to this
>
> I think it's a good idea.

Added.

I noticed that in 5.9, the NEWS entries were also integrated in (info
"(gnus)New Features").  Should this be done for Oort, before the
release?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-04-30 18:26       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-04-30 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

On Wed, Apr 30 2003, Reiner Steib wrote:

> I noticed that in 5.9, the NEWS entries were also integrated in (info
> "(gnus)New Features").  Should this be done for Oort, before the
> release?

At least, no objection. ;-) I've converted it and added it to
`gnus.texi'.

Lars, please feel free to change the Oort menu entry (two occurances):

* Oort Gnus::                   It's big, it's far out.  Gnus 5.10.

Or remove the whole patch, if the NEWS entries shouldn't be in the
manual for some reason.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-05-01  1:54         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-05-01  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 30 2003, Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> I noticed that in 5.9, the NEWS entries were also integrated in (info
>> "(gnus)New Features").  Should this be done for Oort, before the
>> release?
>
> At least, no objection. ;-) I've converted it and added it to
> `gnus.texi'.

Great.  I added some more markup (stuff that only matters in the
printed version), and a couple of @xrefs instead of "See ...".

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-05-01  6:40         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-01  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Lars, please feel free to change the Oort menu entry (two occurances):
>
> * Oort Gnus::                   It's big, it's far out.  Gnus 5.10.
>
> Or remove the whole patch, if the NEWS entries shouldn't be in the
> manual for some reason.

It should; the GNUS-NEWS file has been included for all previous
versions...

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-05-01 13:53 ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2003-05-01 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> ** If the new option `gnus-treat-body-boundary' is non-nil, a boundary
> line is drawn at the end of the headers.

I just set this `t' and now I have some interesting boundaries in
your message but no boundary at the end of the headers.

,----
| From: Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com>
| Subject: NEWS entries
| Newsgroups: gnus.ding
| Date: Tue Apr 29 03:14:03 2003 +0200
|
| I took a *very* quick glance through the ChangeLog to look for new
| user visible stuff missing in GNUS-NEWS.
| ______________________________________________________________________________
| (I'm pretty sure there are many, many other new options and commands,
| so it's probably a good idea if other people also looked).
|
| Here are some possible new entries -- please suggest corrections,
| better wording (or if you don't think some of them are NEWSworthy)
| etc.:
|

| ** Dired integration
| `gnus-dired-minor-mode' installs key bindings in dired buffers to send
| a file as an attachment (`C-c C-a'), open a file using the approriate
| mailcap entry (`C-c C-f'), and print a file using the mailcap entry
| (`C-c P').  It is enabled with
|
|       (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'turn-on-gnus-dired-mode)
|
| ** Gnus can display RSS newsfeeds as a newsgroup.  To get started do `B
| nnrss RET RET' in the Group buffer.
|  ______________________________________________________________________________
|
| ** Messages can be printed with the Muttprint program (`O P').
|
| ** Single-part yenc encoded attachments can be decoded.
`----

Cheers, Ray
--
It's clear that whoever set up the font colorings for most programming
modes has seen too many Peter Max posters, or did more acid than I did

* Re: NEWS entries
@ 2003-05-01 13:58   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-01 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2003@zonix.de> writes:

> I just set this `t' and now I have some interesting boundaries in
> your message but no boundary at the end of the headers.

It should be `head'; I've now updated the file...