* [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
@ 1998-11-26 12:42 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 1998-11-26 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

	If I get a MIME message with an image and if I `S o m' to somebody,
the result is not understood as containing the image, and the whole stuff is
displayed in the article buffer.

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /      E.N.S.T. INF C201.1      mailto:verna@inf.enst.fr

* Re: [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
@ 1998-11-26 17:02 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1998-11-26 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <verna@inf.enst.fr> writes:

> If I get a MIME message with an image and if I `S o m' to somebody, the
> result is not understood as containing the image, and the whole stuff
> is displayed in the article buffer.

I often use `S o m' with other people using Gnus, they just do `C-d' on
their side to recover the quoted article in all its glory.

P.S. - This is a fairly traditional use of `C-d', not at all related to
MIME dissection.

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

* Re: [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
@ 1998-11-26 17:10   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-11-26 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:

> I often use `S o m' with other people using Gnus, they just do `C-d'
> on their side to recover the quoted article in all its glory.
>
> P.S. - This is a fairly traditional use of `C-d', not at all related
> to MIME dissection.

Yup.  Finally we agree about something wrt Gnus.  :-)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
@ 1998-11-26 17:15   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 1998-11-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

	[ interesting supercite prefix isn't it ? ]

ois Pinard writes:

ois> I often use `S o m' with other people using Gnus, they just do `C-d' on
ois> their side to recover the quoted article in all its glory.

	Thanks for the hint.

ois> P.S. - This is a fairly traditional use of `C-d', not at all related to
ois> MIME dissection.

	Yup. But in this case, the work shouldn't be on the receiver's part.

--

@ 1998-11-26 22:26 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-26 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <verna@inf.enst.fr> writes:

> 	If I get a MIME message with an image and if I `S o m' to somebody,
> the result is not understood as containing the image, and the whole stuff is
> displayed in the article buffer.

`S o m' will change to use a MIME encapsulation, but that hasn't been
implemented yet.

* Re: [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
@ 1998-11-27  3:05   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-11-27  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> `S o m' will change to use a MIME encapsulation, but that hasn't
> been implemented yet.

When it is, could there please be an option to use the current
non-MIME encapsulation, perhaps by toggling some variable?  At least
one mailing list I am on (bugtraq, if it matters) requires periodic
resubscription which is automated by having me forward the resubscribe
message back to them.  Their parser doesn't recognize MIME
encapsulation.  When I used tm under 5.6.* and earlier I had some
advice on S o m that turned off MIME when I needed to do that.  While
I could certainly do that again, a cleaner solution would be
preferable :-)

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
@ 1998-11-27  6:58     ` Han Pilmeyer
From: Han Pilmeyer @ 1998-11-27  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

DSG> When it is, could there please be an option to use the current
DSG> non-MIME encapsulation, perhaps by toggling some variable?  At least
DSG> one mailing list I am on (bugtraq, if it matters) requires periodic
DSG> resubscription which is automated by having me forward the resubscribe
DSG> message back to them.  Their parser doesn't recognize MIME
DSG> encapsulation.

You could always use 'S D r' to resent the message. I'm assuming that
there won't be any changes to this for MIME.

Cheers.
--
-- Han Pilmeyer, han@uto.dec.com, Phone: +31 342 428694, FAX: +31 342 428606 --
-- Digital Equipment B.V., Europalaan 44, 3526 KS Utrecht, The Netherlands   --

* Re: [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-27 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> When it is, could there please be an option to use the current
> non-MIME encapsulation, perhaps by toggling some variable?

Well, a sensibly composed MIME encapsulation looks virtually as pretty
as a non-MIME encapsulation, so I don't know whether that would be
necessary...  (And `S D r', as noted, would probably be a better
solution in the situation you describe.)

* Re: [Q] Forwarding MIME doesn't work ?
@ 1998-11-30 16:01       ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-11-30 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, a sensibly composed MIME encapsulation looks virtually as
> pretty as a non-MIME encapsulation, so I don't know whether that
> would be necessary...

It's not a matter of prettyness, it's a matter of what netspace.org
expects a forwarded message to look like.

> (And `S D r', as noted, would probably be a better solution in the
> situation you describe.)

Unfortunately not.  They really do seem to be looking for the
currently typical forward separators (---- Begin forwarded message).
Unless, of course, something has changed in the past 6 months.  I can
try again next time they want me to re-up.  I'll also try S D r (I've
only ever tried S O m in the past).

It's really not that big a deal to me if I have to use advice for this
particular case.  I can also hope that netspace.org will eventually
recognize the message in a MIME enclosure (my email on this to their
help address many moons ago went unanswered).

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-30 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> It's not a matter of prettyness, it's a matter of what netspace.org
> expects a forwarded message to look like.

Ok.  When I Mimetilate the function, I'll add an option that will give
the old behavior as well.