* nndoc groups no longer inheriting parent parameters
@ 2001-12-27 14:32 David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-12-27 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's been a while since I've seen something on comp.risks.  I read
comp.risks in a nnvirtual group (as I do most nntp groups) where the
virtual is made up of the nntp group and an nnml group to which I copy
articles a I care to save.  I know about the cache.  I've been through
one too many server renumberings to want to use that.  Anyway, as you
may know, messages in comp.risks are digests.  I have
gnus-show-threads set to nil comp.risks (nntp) by means of group
parameters.  Today, when I enter a digest, threading is on.  For the
purposes of the risks digest, I find this annoying.  One thing I
notice is that when I enter the digest, the backend listed in the
variable gnus-newsgroup-name is "nnvirtual", so I tried adding the
parameter to the nnvirtual group.  No dice.  I tried setting
gnus-group-parameters to turn off threading with a regexp of
".*risks.*".  Still no dice.  Going through the nntp group directly
(e.g. not using the nnvirtual group) works as expected.  However, in
both cases, running (gnus-group-find-parameter gnus-newsgroup-name)
after entering the digest only shows a quit-config, so the problem has
to be somewhere in nnvirtual.  I'm happy to try to debug this if
someone can help me get started with a pointer towards the right place
in the code to look.  I don't see anything in the ChangeLog regarding
nnvirtual since October other than a doc fix and I've definitely seen
some digests since then.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: nndoc groups no longer inheriting parent parameters
@ 2001-12-28 23:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-28 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> Today, when I enter a digest, threading is on.  For the purposes of
> the risks digest, I find this annoying.  One thing I notice is that
> when I enter the digest, the backend listed in the variable
> gnus-newsgroup-name is "nnvirtual", so I tried adding the parameter
> to the nnvirtual group.  No dice.

What is the group parameter you've tried adding to the nnvirtual
group, precisely?

* Re: nndoc groups no longer inheriting parent parameters
@ 2001-12-31 15:07   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-12-31 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

G p on both comp.risks and nnml:comp.risks shows

((gnus-show-threads))

I typed it in as ((gnus-show-threads nil)).  It had worked for ages.

Thanks,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> G p on both comp.risks and nnml:comp.risks shows
>
> ((gnus-show-threads))
>
> I typed it in as ((gnus-show-threads nil)).  It had worked for ages.

Now I'm confused again.  Didn't you say that this was about nnvirtual
groups?

* Re: nndoc groups no longer inheriting parent parameters
@ 2002-01-02 15:46       ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2002-01-02 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:
>> G p on both comp.risks and nnml:comp.risks shows
>>
>> ((gnus-show-threads))
>>
>> I typed it in as ((gnus-show-threads nil)).  It had worked for ages.

> Now I'm confused again.  Didn't you say that this was about nnvirtual
> groups?

Right.  The nnvirutal group consists of comp.risks and
nnml:comp.risks.  I the group parameters for both of those, I set
gnus-show-threads to nil.  In the past, if I entered the nnvirtual
group and typed C-d on one of the digests (all messages are digests)
the digest would open with threading turned off.  Now it does not.
However, if I enter either the nntp or nnml group directly, it works
as expected.  I tried setting gnus-show-threads to nil in the
nnvirtual group's parameter, but that didn't work either.

Thanks,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> Right.  The nnvirutal group consists of comp.risks and
> nnml:comp.risks.  I the group parameters for both of those, I set
> gnus-show-threads to nil.  In the past, if I entered the nnvirtual
> group and typed C-d on one of the digests (all messages are digests)
> the digest would open with threading turned off.  Now it does not.

Right.

Well, I think the current behavior is correct.  nnvirtual groups
should not inherit anything but the articles from the component
groups.  If you want the nndoc group generated from the nnvirtual
group to get `gnus-show-threads' set to nil, you have to add that

@ 2002-01-22 22:00           ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2002-01-22 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:
>> Right.  The nnvirutal group consists of comp.risks and
>> nnml:comp.risks.  I the group parameters for both of those, I set
>> gnus-show-threads to nil.  In the past, if I entered the nnvirtual
>> group and typed C-d on one of the digests (all messages are digests)
>> the digest would open with threading turned off.  Now it does not.

> Right.

> Well, I think the current behavior is correct.  nnvirtual groups
> should not inherit anything but the articles from the component
> groups.

Yes.  I have no trouble with that change, other than I didn't see any
mention of it in the ChangeLog.

> If you want the nndoc group generated from the nnvirtual group to
> get `gnus-show-threads' set to nil, you have to add that parameter
> to the nnvirtual group.

But that's what I've done, and the nndoc group (which according to the
modeline is really a nnvirtual?!?!?) doesn't inherit the parameter.

--

@ 2002-01-26 22:18             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-26 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

>> Well, I think the current behavior is correct.  nnvirtual groups
>> should not inherit anything but the articles from the component
>> groups.
>
> Yes.  I have no trouble with that change, other than I didn't see any
> mention of it in the ChangeLog.

If nnvirtual groups ever have inherited other stuff than articles from
their component groups, that's something I haven't been aware of.

>> If you want the nndoc group generated from the nnvirtual group to
>> get `gnus-show-threads' set to nil, you have to add that parameter
>> to the nnvirtual group.
>
> But that's what I've done, and the nndoc group (which according to the
> modeline is really a nnvirtual?!?!?) doesn't inherit the parameter.

I'm unable to reproduce this bug.  If I put

((gnus-show-threads nil))

into the `G p' buffer, I get that variable set to nil in the group.
If I `C-d' a digest in that group, that variable is set to nil in that
nndoc group.

* Re: nndoc groups no longer inheriting parent parameters
@ 2002-01-30 15:00               ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2002-01-30 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> If you want the nndoc group generated from the nnvirtual group to
>>> get `gnus-show-threads' set to nil, you have to add that parameter
>>> to the nnvirtual group.
>>
>> But that's what I've done, and the nndoc group (which according to the
>> modeline is really a nnvirtual?!?!?) doesn't inherit the parameter.

> I'm unable to reproduce this bug.  If I put

> ((gnus-show-threads nil))

> into the `G p' buffer, I get that variable set to nil in the group.
> If I `C-d' a digest in that group, that variable is set to nil in that
> nndoc group.

I've tried edebugging gnus-summary-enter-digest-group and
gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group and still do not understand why the
parameters set for it get lost when entering a digest within the
virtual group.  Here's the entry for it in my .newsrc.eld:

("nnvirtual:comp.risks" 3
 ((1 . 25))
 ((seen 1 (4 . 7) 14 17 19 (21 . 23) 25) (dormant 1 (4 . 7) 14 22))
 (nnvirtual "^$\\|\\(^comp\\.risks$\\)\\|\\(^nnml:comp\\.risks$\\)")
 ((newsgroup . t) (gnus-use-threads nil)))

However, I tried (again) to use gnus-parameters to solve the problem
and this time it worked.  Setting gnus-parameters to
(("nnvirtual:comp.risks-.*" (gnus-show-threads nil))) explicitly sets
the parameter in the nndoc group (I still have to wonder if the prefix
not being changed from "nnvirtual" to "nndoc" has something to do with
the problem) and threading is turned off as desired.  I know I tried
this before, but probably messed up the regexp or some other form of
operator error.

Thanks,