* mime problem
@ 2000-04-05 18:45 lconrad
From: lconrad @ 2000-04-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here are some of the headers of a mail that both gnus and metamail
failed to grok as the sender intended them to, in the form I received
it.  It was apparently an animated gif, before microsoft outlook,
majordomo, and whatever other mail-manglers mangled it got through
with it.  I can forward the full message if anyone is interested in
looking at it.

I've had this problem before, and I'm not sure it's a gnus problem.
As maintainer of a majordomo mailing list, I get sent messages which
bounce because they exceed a (fairly small) length limit.  I could
send them on, but I like to look at them before I do that, and I never
seem to be able to do that.

When I get the message, I see text that looks to me like mime headers,
but that doesn't seem to buttonize like mime headers in gnus, or to be
decoded into separate parts by "metamail -w".  I never see anything
resembling a gif.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3260 bytes --]

From: wort-approval@world.std.com
To: wort-approval@world.std.com
Subject: BOUNCE wort@world.std.com:     Message too long (>40000 chars)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:42:52 -0400 (EDT)

From: "greg roody" <groody@emc.com>
To: <wort@wort.org>
Subject: humorous
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:28:42 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_01A2_01BF9D57.6204A390

this may not make it, but it's small enough to try.

 6beers~(1).gif
------=_NextPart_000_01A2_01BF9D57.6204A390

(encoded gif deleted)
------=_NextPart_000_01A2_01BF9D57.6204A390--

Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

* Re: mime problem
@ 2000-04-05 19:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

lconrad@world.std.com writes:

I think Gnus has problems with file names such as this one.

Maybe it should just convert the strange name to a sane one before
using it?  And why does it save the file to the name given even if
it's only for display?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: mime problem
@ 2000-04-05 19:30   ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-04-05 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> lconrad@world.std.com writes:

> I think Gnus has problems with file names such as this one.

Really?  I thought it would be the lack of MIME headers in the
majordomo bounce.  The message doesn't look like a MIME message to
Gnus or metamail, so it's not going to extract any of the parts.

219 days, 20 hours, 5 minutes, 29 seconds till we run away.
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.

* Re: mime problem
@ 2000-04-05 22:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-05 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

lconrad@world.std.com writes:

> When I get the message, I see text that looks to me like mime headers,
> but that doesn't seem to buttonize like mime headers in gnus, or to be
> decoded into separate parts by "metamail -w".  I never see anything
> resembling a gif.

Right.  Hm.  Could a digest type be added to nndoc for this kind of
thing?  That would be cool.

Try typing `A D' (or C-d?) on the message and have a look at the
central part.  Maybe if nndoc grokked that, too, it would be really
useful?

kai
--

@ 2000-04-05 22:40     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-05 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Really?  I thought it would be the lack of MIME headers in the
> majordomo bounce.

Argh.  Of course, you're right.

kai
--

@ 2000-04-06 14:31   ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2000-04-06 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Kai> Try typing `A D' (or C-d?) on the message and have a look at the
    Kai> central part.  Maybe if nndoc grokked that, too, it would be really
    Kai> useful?

I get error messages when I do either of those things.  Here's the
recent messages; the actual message that appears before the "No
articles..." message also says "Couldn't request group:".

Recent minibuffer messages (most recent first):

No articles in group nnml+private:misc-4838
Opening nndoc server on nndoc:nnml+private:misc-4838-ephemeral...

--

@ 2000-04-20  0:40   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Try typing `A D' (or C-d?) on the message and have a look at the
> central part.  Maybe if nndoc grokked that, too, it would be really
> useful?

nndoc could try to grok non-MIME mail bounces, but it would be
guesswork.  Some of those bounces are really difficult to figure out.

It would be nice if there was a function (kinda along the lines mm-uu)
that goes through the bounced message, tries to guess at what's the
bounced message, and then return a list of MIME handles for Gnus to
process.  That would be helpful...