* message.el and drafts
@ 1998-09-24  5:36 Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-09-24  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I love nndraft because I'm always getting interrupted.  I've also got
C-x m bound to message-mail so I can use it even without loading gnus
-- but I lose the draft feature in that case.

So I'm thinking about doing this:

Smartening up message.el (message-set-auto-save-file-name) to set the
*mail* buffer's buffer-file-name to something like
message-autosave-directory/draft-[some-unique-number].

Smartening up gnus so at launch time it looks for those files and
slurps them into nndraft.

Thoughts?

I don't want to do this if Lars won't take the patch.  ;-)

--
matta

* Re: message.el and drafts
@ 1998-09-24 16:40 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-24 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:

> Smartening up message.el (message-set-auto-save-file-name) to set the
> *mail* buffer's buffer-file-name to something like
> message-autosave-directory/draft-[some-unique-number].

This won't (in general) be sufficient.  I may (for instance) decide
that nndraft will have to do extra things when associating message
buffers to draft files, especially in conjunction with MIME things.

* Re: message.el and drafts
@ 1998-09-24 23:17   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-09-24 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:
>
> > Smartening up message.el (message-set-auto-save-file-name) to set
> > the *mail* buffer's buffer-file-name to something like
> > message-autosave-directory/draft-[some-unique-number].
>
> This won't (in general) be sufficient.  I may (for instance) decide
> that nndraft will have to do extra things when associating message
> buffers to draft files, especially in conjunction with MIME things.

Makes sense.  I've come up with this, which starts up gnus but
immediately shoves it in the background and runs message-mail:

(defun my-message-mail ()
  (interactive)
  (require 'gnus-util)
  (unless (gnus-alive-p)
    (save-window-excursion
      (let ((gnus-inhibit-startup-message t))
	(gnus 2))))
  (message-mail))
(global-set-key "\C-xm" 'my-message-mail)

Problem is, there is no way to start Gnus without having it fetch my
mail -- an annoying delay when I want to send mail.  I'd like to have
it start at level 2 (the usual way I run it) but not fetch anything.

How about me changing the dont-connect arg to be:

 nil     - normal startup
 t       - don't connect to the primary server
 'never  - don't connect to _any_ server regardless of start level

Then I can run (gnus 2 'never).

In fact, often I start gnus up to reference old mail.  I'd probably
choose to make (gnus 2 'never) the default way I launch gnus -- I can
always do a 'g' after it loads.

--
matta

* Re: message.el and drafts
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-29 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:

> Problem is, there is no way to start Gnus without having it fetch my
> mail -- an annoying delay when I want to send mail.  I'd like to have
> it start at level 2 (the usual way I run it) but not fetch anything.

`gnus-no-server' will usually do somewhat well in starting Gnus
without doing that much.