* don't consult auth-sources for a particular server
@ 2010-09-30 16:54 Austin F. Frank
From: Austin F. Frank @ 2010-09-30 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello!

Again, thanks to all (and especially to Lars and Ted and Julien) for
recent improvements to Gnus.

I wonder, is there a way to tell gnus that I'm fine with a particular
select method being totally insecure?  Right now when I open any of the
groups subscribed through gmane it seems like auth-sources consults my
.authinfo.gpg.  I _promise_ this doesn't need to happen for this
server.  Is there a way to guarantee that my login credentials are never
checked for gmane groups?

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: don't consult auth-sources for a particular server
@ 2010-09-30 16:57 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-30 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:54:09 -0400 "Austin F. Frank" <austin.frank@gmail.com> wrote:

AFF> Again, thanks to all (and especially to Lars and Ted and Julien) for
AFF> recent improvements to Gnus.

AFF> I wonder, is there a way to tell gnus that I'm fine with a particular
AFF> select method being totally insecure?  Right now when I open any of the
AFF> groups subscribed through gmane it seems like auth-sources consults my
AFF> .authinfo.gpg.  I _promise_ this doesn't need to happen for this
AFF> server.  Is there a way to guarantee that my login credentials are never
AFF> checked for gmane groups?

Hmm, that should be possible.  Right now you could set `auth-sources' to
map that server to a nonexistent file, but a const option seems
cleaner.  I'll add it to my TODO list.

Ted

* Re: don't consult auth-sources for a particular server
@ 2010-09-30 16:59 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

"Austin F. Frank" <austin.frank@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder, is there a way to tell gnus that I'm fine with a particular
> select method being totally insecure?  Right now when I open any of the
> groups subscribed through gmane it seems like auth-sources consults my
> .authinfo.gpg.  I _promise_ this doesn't need to happen for this
> server.  Is there a way to guarantee that my login credentials are never
> checked for gmane groups?

It should only look into that file if it needs to get a password, I
think?  Hm, no, the .authinfo file can have the "force" tag, which
controls whether the password is sent even if the server doesn't ask for
it.  So it's a chicken/egg/omelet problem.

I'd just set auth-sources to ~/.authinfo, and forget about the .gpg file
myself...

* Re: don't consult auth-sources for a particular server
@ 2011-02-25 22:17   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-25 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:57:43 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:54:09 -0400 "Austin F. Frank" <austin.frank@gmail.com> wrote:
AFF> Again, thanks to all (and especially to Lars and Ted and Julien) for
AFF> recent improvements to Gnus.

AFF> I wonder, is there a way to tell gnus that I'm fine with a particular
AFF> select method being totally insecure?  Right now when I open any of the
AFF> groups subscribed through gmane it seems like auth-sources consults my
AFF> .authinfo.gpg.  I _promise_ this doesn't need to happen for this
AFF> server.  Is there a way to guarantee that my login credentials are never
AFF> checked for gmane groups?

TZ> Hmm, that should be possible.  Right now you could set `auth-sources' to
TZ> map that server to a nonexistent file, but a const option seems
TZ> cleaner.  I'll add it to my TODO list.

With the recent caching work, this is not really an issue: the file is
cached in memory and needs to be opened if you have any credentials in
it anyway.  So I don't think this needs a special case as I thought
originally.

Ted