* MIME/Crypto functions for Emacs
@ 2000-11-28 17:54 Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2000-11-28 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Everyone!

Okay, I checked into the problems that gnus has with Crypto MIME and
modified message-options-set-recipient by reusing some mailcrypt
functionality as well as some own little additions. I also made
specifying recipients in the encryption tag work. It is still very
much a cludge - but at least it makes the stuff work for now.

Furthermore I have modified the bbdb-gpg.el stuff to integrate better
with the new way of handling it and wrote a bunch of functions to make
it more comfortable.

Some of them are meant for being used as keybindings. Personally I
use
        F1 gnus-set-pgp-sign
        F2 gnus-set-pgp-encrypt
        F3 gnus-set-pgp-encrypt-with-recipients
        F4 gnus-set-pgp-none

when composing mail.

This code generates the following behaviour:

When composing mail you can toggle the crypto setting between signed /
encrypted / encrypted with explicit recipients / nothing by pressing
F1, F2, F3, F4.

When sending mail it checks the BBDB for the pgp-mail field of the
recipient. If it is set to encrypt, the encryption tag is
automatically inserted and the mail is being sent. If the pgp-mail
field is set to sign, it is set to sign and the mail is being sent.

If nothing can be found in the BBDB and it doesn't see any crypto tag
specification, it asks whether it should sign the mail. Yes sets
signing tag and sends it out. No makes it ask whether it should maybe
be encrypted. Yes sets the encryption tag and sends it out. No sends
it out plain.

In case of an encryption tag when sending the mail, the user is
prompted for recipients. The default is normally the contents of the
To, Cc and Bcc fields - if the recipients have been specified
explicitly, that is the default to prompt with. I made it always
prompt as I like making sure that the crypto settings are correct.

You can disable the "if there is no setting I probably forgot"
behaviour by simply leaving out some of the hooks.

This is _almost_ what I want. Now I would love some sort of
crypto-mail-aliases that allows translating certain recipients into
others or even groups of recipients. Then I'd be entirely happy.

All my code is under the GPL (of course) so in case you want to try it
out or use it as the basis for a better solution, you'll find it
appended here. It isn't beautiful but it works... ,-)

Regards,
                Georg