* Gnus MIME support and rmail
@ 2001-08-23  3:03 Andrew Koenig
From: Andrew Koenig @ 2001-08-23  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any plans to integrate the Gnus MIME support with
RMAIL?  Or is RMAIL considered obsolescent at this point?

* Re: Gnus MIME support and rmail
@ 2001-08-23 16:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-23 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Koenig <ark-mlist@research.att.com> writes:

> Are there any plans to integrate the Gnus MIME support with
> RMAIL?  Or is RMAIL considered obsolescent at this point?

Well -- I think it would be possible to adapt RMAIL to use the
Emacs-MIME functions, but that would be up to the RMAIL maintainers.
I don't know how actively maintained RMAIL is these days.

(If I were to guess, I think most Emacs people use VM or Gnus for
mail.)

* Re: Gnus MIME support and rmail
@ 2001-08-24  9:42   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-24  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (If I were to guess, I think most Emacs people use VM or Gnus for
> mail.)

Isn't RMS still using RMAIL?

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: Gnus MIME support and rmail
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-24 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Isn't RMS still using RMAIL?

I think so...

* Re: Gnus MIME support and rmail
@ 2001-08-27 14:39       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-08-27 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> Isn't RMS still using RMAIL?

Lars> I think so...

I think he always will be.

I convinced him a few years ago to add a X-Mailer: header or something
like that (I don't know if he's changed it to the user-agent header
since then though).

It's very hard to switch away from something you wrote.  Imagine Lars
switching to something other than Gnus.  He never would, even if the
rest of us stopped using it...

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Gnus MIME support and rmail
@ 2001-08-27 20:14         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-27 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> Lars> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >> Isn't RMS still using RMAIL?
>
> Lars> I think so...
>
> I think he always will be.

That's not necessarily bad.  I guess it rather means that RMAIL will
continue to be supported.  Maybe RMS will be happy about some (more)
MIME support in RMAIL?  Another idea would be to have RMAIL use
message mode, rather than mail mode.

kai
--

@ 2001-08-29 16:15   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-08-29 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well -- I think it would be possible to adapt RMAIL to use the
> Emacs-MIME functions, but that would be up to the RMAIL maintainers.
> I don't know how actively maintained RMAIL is these days.

According to the ChangeLog, MORIOKA Tomohiko <tomo@m17n.org> has added
some some mime hooks to rmail in Emacs 21.  Apparently, these hooks
are used by a package "rmail-mime" which is not part of Emacs 21.

* Re: Gnus MIME support and rmail
@ 2001-09-01 16:39 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2001-09-01 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 AK> Are there any plans to integrate the Gnus MIME support with
 AK> RMAIL?

There were, but the MIME library wasn't clean enough to do so when I
installed Gnus 5.9 in Emacs.  I worked somewhat on cleaning it up when
I installed it in Emacs, but the implication of a previous exchange
here was that it was no longer policy to maintain it for such a task,
and I dropped the work.

 AK> Or is RMAIL considered obsolescent at this point?

No.  It had plenty of features added during the feature freeze,
specifically for use with SEMI (or whatever it's called these days)
since that was the only option.

* Re: Gnus MIME support and rmail
@ 2001-12-30  7:30   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:

> There were, but the MIME library wasn't clean enough to do so when I
> installed Gnus 5.9 in Emacs.  I worked somewhat on cleaning it up when
> I installed it in Emacs, but the implication of a previous exchange
> here was that it was no longer policy to maintain it for such a task,
> and I dropped the work.

The MIME library is meant as a general MIME library.  It does need
cleaning up, though, and that's probably not going to happen until
somebody adapts it to work with another package.