* Oort 0.15 vs Courier-IMAP 1.7.0
@ 2003-03-05 15:50 Chad House
From: Chad House @ 2003-03-05 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently upgraded to a combination of ognus 0.15 and Courier-IMAP
1.7.0 (from ognus 0.05 and courier-imap 1.4.1).

While various other IMAP clients (Mutt, Mozilla Mail, and the Mac OS X
Mail.app) seem happy with the new Courier-IMAP, ognus 0.15 no longer
updates the IMAP groups in the *Group* buffer when I hit `g'. `M-g' on
an IMAP group like my INBOX works, however. (Yep, `g' is still bound
to `gnus-group-get-new-news').

If I set `nnimap-retrieve-groups-asynchronous' to nil, then pressing
`g' seems to do the right thing on the Maildir backend (i.e., messages
are moved from `new' to `cur' directories), but the *Group* buffer
message counts still aren't updated until I `M-g'.

Chad

* Re: Oort 0.15 vs Courier-IMAP 1.7.0
@ 2003-03-05 18:59 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-03-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chad House <chadh@pobox.com> writes:

> I recently upgraded to a combination of ognus 0.15 and Courier-IMAP
> 1.7.0 (from ognus 0.05 and courier-imap 1.4.1).
>
> While various other IMAP clients (Mutt, Mozilla Mail, and the Mac OS X
> Mail.app) seem happy with the new Courier-IMAP, ognus 0.15 no longer
> updates the IMAP groups in the *Group* buffer when I hit `g'. `M-g' on
> an IMAP group like my INBOX works, however. (Yep, `g' is still bound
> to `gnus-group-get-new-news').
>
> If I set `nnimap-retrieve-groups-asynchronous' to nil, then pressing
> `g' seems to do the right thing on the Maildir backend (i.e., messages
> are moved from `new' to `cur' directories), but the *Group* buffer
> message counts still aren't updated until I `M-g'.

Can you provide a *imap-log* (see `imap-log') output generated by
starting gnus, sending mail to a mailbox, pressing g and noting that
it doesn't notice the new mail, and then press M-g on that mailbox?  I
suspect a server bug.

* Re: Oort 0.15 vs Courier-IMAP 1.7.0
@ 2003-03-05 19:46   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-03-05 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Chad House <chadh@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> I recently upgraded to a combination of ognus 0.15 and Courier-IMAP
>> 1.7.0 (from ognus 0.05 and courier-imap 1.4.1).
>>
>> While various other IMAP clients (Mutt, Mozilla Mail, and the Mac OS X
>> Mail.app) seem happy with the new Courier-IMAP, ognus 0.15 no longer
>> updates the IMAP groups in the *Group* buffer when I hit `g'. `M-g' on
>> an IMAP group like my INBOX works, however. (Yep, `g' is still bound
>> to `gnus-group-get-new-news').

This is exactly the same problem I have been having for months.
Well, except I don't know what the Courier-IMAP version is (and
neither does the sysadmin -- apparently there is no version number
stored in the binary).

Chad: Try M-: (gnus-group-get-new-news t), I bet that will update the
counts correctly.

> Can you provide a *imap-log* (see `imap-log') output generated by
> starting gnus, sending mail to a mailbox, pressing g and noting that
> it doesn't notice the new mail, and then press M-g on that mailbox?  I
> suspect a server bug.

I sent you an imap-log buffer about a month ago but never heard back,
did you get it?

zw

* Re: Oort 0.15 vs Courier-IMAP 1.7.0
@ 2003-03-05 23:40     ` Chad House
From: Chad House @ 2003-03-05 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson, ding

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

[...]

> This is exactly the same problem I have been having for months.
> Well, except I don't know what the Courier-IMAP version is (and
> neither does the sysadmin -- apparently there is no version number
> stored in the binary).
>
> Chad: Try M-: (gnus-group-get-new-news t), I bet that will update the
> counts correctly.

Hmm. It doesn't seem to make a difference in my case -- the counts

@ 2003-03-06 11:08 ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2003-03-06 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having the same problem and can also provide debugging output if
it will help.

--
Andrew J. Korty, Principal Security Engineer
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology

* Re: Oort 0.15 vs Courier-IMAP 1.7.0
@ 2003-03-05 19:28 Chad House
From: Chad House @ 2003-03-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Can you provide a *imap-log* (see `imap-log') output generated by
> starting gnus, sending mail to a mailbox, pressing g and noting that
> it doesn't notice the new mail, and then press M-g on that mailbox?
> I suspect a server bug.

Yep, here you go. There was a single, new message in my INBOX Maildir
folder prior to the log:

========== Pressed `g' ==========
377 EXAMINE "INBOX.xml"
* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
* 51 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1037901425] Ok
377 OK [READ-ONLY] Ok
378 FETCH 1,* UID
* 1 FETCH (UID 47)
* 51 FETCH (UID 107)
378 OK FETCH completed.
379 EXAMINE "INBOX.spam"
* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
* 1 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1008180968] Ok
379 OK [READ-ONLY] Ok
380 FETCH 1,* UID
* 1 FETCH (UID 8)
* 1 FETCH (UID 8)
380 OK FETCH completed.
381 EXAMINE "INBOX.rdf"
* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
* 121 EXISTS
* 4 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1017069771] Ok
381 OK [READ-ONLY] Ok
382 FETCH 1,* UID
* 1 FETCH (UID 1)
* 121 FETCH (UID 3097)
382 OK FETCH completed.
383 EXAMINE "INBOX.perl"
* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
* 131 EXISTS
* 2 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1008182439] Ok
383 OK [READ-ONLY] Ok
384 FETCH 1,* UID
* 1 FETCH (UID 330)
* 131 FETCH (UID 2960)
384 OK FETCH completed.
385 EXAMINE "INBOX.debian"
* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
* 4 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1035205367] Ok
385 OK [READ-ONLY] Ok
386 FETCH 1,* UID
* 1 FETCH (UID 124)
* 4 FETCH (UID 127)
386 OK FETCH completed.
387 EXAMINE "INBOX"
* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
* 101 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 998665018] Ok
387 OK [READ-ONLY] Ok
388 FETCH 1,* UID
* 1 FETCH (UID 3924)
* 101 FETCH (UID 4628)
388 OK FETCH completed.
========== Pressed `M-g' ==========
389 SELECT "INBOX"
* FLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Recent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Draft \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen)] Limited
* 101 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 998665018] Ok
389 OK [READ-WRITE] Ok