* Topic and group parameters
@ 2002-01-13 17:08 Janne Rinta-Mänty
From: Janne Rinta-Mänty @ 2002-01-13 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

The order in which the value of a parameter is determined seems to be
(strongest first):

1. group parameters
2. topic parameters (from deepest to root topic)
3. gnus-parameters (in the order of the list)

...but is it?  Experiments with gcc-self (the columns are the values
of gcc-self in group parameters, topic parameters and gnus-parameters
('-' means no value at all); the last column is the value seen in Gcc:
when writing an article in the group (nil means no Gcc header)):

group     topic     g-p     Gcc

"group"   "topic"   "g-p"   "group"
"group"   nil       "g-p"   "group"
"group"   -         "g-p"   "group"
"group"   "topic"   -       "group"
"group"   "topic"   nil     "group"
"group"   nil       nil     "group"
-         "topic"   "g-p"   "topic"
-         "topic"   nil     "topic"
nil       "topic"   nil     nil
nil       "topic"   -       nil
-         "topic"   -       "topic"
nil       "topic"   "g-p"   "g-p" ???
-         nil       "g-p"   "g-p" ???
nil       nil       "g-p"   "g-p" ???

Last three values for Gcc look odd, I was expecting no Gcc header for
those combinations.

Also, I think that gnus-parameters should be stronger than topic
parameters.  The manual says in <info://Gnus/Topic+Parameters> "Group
parameters (of course) override topic parameters [...]", and
gnus-parameters has group parameters, only in a different place than
the "real" group parameters.

--
Janne Rinta-Mänty

* Re: Topic and group parameters
@ 2002-01-15 10:48 ` Janne Rinta-Mänty
From: Janne Rinta-Mänty @ 2002-01-15 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Janne Rinta-Mänty 2002-01-13T17:08:31Z:
> The order in which the value of a parameter is determined seems to
> be (strongest first):

> 1. group parameters
> 2. topic parameters (from deepest to root topic)
> 3. gnus-parameters (in the order of the list)

> ...but is it?  Experiments with gcc-self
[some garbage snipped]

Sorry, forget that, apparently I've lost my ability to read.

(dotimes (I 100)
  (print "None is not the same as nil"))

> Also, I think that gnus-parameters should be stronger than topic
> parameters.  The manual says in <info://Gnus/Topic+Parameters>
> "Group parameters (of course) override topic parameters [...]", and
> gnus-parameters has group parameters, only in a different place than
> the "real" group parameters.

What about this, then?

--

@ 2002-01-19 22:22 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

rintaman@cs.Helsinki.FI (Janne Rinta-Mänty) writes:

> Also, I think that gnus-parameters should be stronger than topic
> parameters.  The manual says in <info://Gnus/Topic+Parameters> "Group
> parameters (of course) override topic parameters [...]", and
> gnus-parameters has group parameters, only in a different place than
> the "real" group parameters.

The precedence now is:

group parameters
topic parameters
gnus-parameters

I'm not sure whether that precedence list makes sense or not.
Comments?