* 'idea' of a new backend [bit off-topic]
@ 2000-07-19 14:52 Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2000-07-19 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Me and my friend were discussing how Gnus does everything already -
all nnultimate and nnslashdot backends and whatnot. I use Gnus to read
some other news like information that I parse into a mh dir by a Perl
script. And I also download some cartoons from the web to maildirs and
view them with gnus. I like ticking cartoons I like for later review.

OK so. 'nnmp3'. Gnus backend which works pretty much like
nneething. Lists 'mp3' files and plays them with a player. Would need
a lot of extra glue for some things.

Now, think about scoring for mp3:s - and adaptive scoring. Makes you
grin, doesn't it?

Well, I leave it at that, you all can think out the specifics
yourself. I don't think that this is a workable idea - and even if it
would be implemented, it would contain a lot of unnecessary kludges.

-- Naked

* Re: 'idea' of a new backend [bit off-topic]
@ 2000-07-19 16:24 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-07-19 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nuutti Kotivuori <nuutti.kotivuori@sonera.com> writes:

> OK so. 'nnmp3'. Gnus backend which works pretty much like
> nneething. Lists 'mp3' files and plays them with a player. Would need
> a lot of extra glue for some things.
>
> Now, think about scoring for mp3:s - and adaptive scoring. Makes you
> grin, doesn't it?

nnapster + nnir = nnmp3. *grin*

* Re: 'idea' of a new backend [bit off-topic]
@ 2001-12-31  8:49 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nuutti Kotivuori <nuutti.kotivuori@sonera.com> writes:

> Me and my friend were discussing how Gnus does everything already -
> all nnultimate and nnslashdot backends and whatnot. I use Gnus to read
> some other news like information that I parse into a mh dir by a Perl
> script. And I also download some cartoons from the web to maildirs and
> view them with gnus. I like ticking cartoons I like for later review.
>
> OK so. 'nnmp3'. Gnus backend which works pretty much like
> nneething. Lists 'mp3' files and plays them with a player. Would need
> a lot of extra glue for some things.
>
> Now, think about scoring for mp3:s - and adaptive scoring. Makes you
> grin, doesn't it?

It does.  :-)

However, music is quite unlike all the other things that Gnus
handles.  News, mail, message boards and cartoons sites basically
consists of something that you wish to view once, and once only,
except a very few exceptional pieces that you want to have around.
Music isn't really like that -- you want to have it all hang around,
forever.

Gnus might not be the right interface to a music player, but Emacs
certainly is: <URL: http://quimby.gnus.org/jukebox/jukebox.html>