* server connection while offline and naming servers in the agent
@ 2002-08-08 17:11 NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2002-08-08 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

My server buffer looks like:

     {nntp:quimby.gnus.org} (offline) (agent)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nntp:news} (offline) (agent)
     {nnml:mail} (opened)

Despite this, there is a connection to the server nicknamed `news'
(really ludens.elte.hu).

Proc         Status   Buffer         Tty         Command
----         ------   ------         ---         -------
nntpd	     open      *server ludens.elte.hu nntp  *nntpd** (none) (network stream connection to ludens.elte.hu)

Why?

----

Another issue:  in the above server buffer, I've just added
nntp:quimby.gnus.org to the agent.  However, my News/agent/lib/servers
looks like:

((nntp "quimby.gnus.org") "nntp:news")

Note the inconsistency on the naming scheme: (xy "zz") vs "xy:zz".
I've been told that the latter is better because it's some kind of
`reference name', and naming all my select methods this way avoids
duplicate connections, which arise because (xy "zz")-style select
methods are treated differently.  I've just noticed however, that my
quimby newsgroups still have select methods like `(nntp
"quimby.gnus.org")', because this is what gnus-group-make-group or
gnus-group-browse-foreign-server created.  I think that all this
hassle with multiple ways for naming (not describing) a select method,
duplicate server entries in the server buffer because of this, using
the `not recommended' scheme by default in group creation functions
just sucks.  This should be clarified and fixed.

Andras

* Re: server connection while offline and naming servers in the agent
@ 2002-12-29 23:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-29 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

NAGY Andras <nagya@inf.elte.hu> writes:

> My server buffer looks like:
>
>      {nntp:quimby.gnus.org} (offline) (agent)
>      {nndraft:} (opened)
>      {nntp:news} (offline) (agent)
>      {nnml:mail} (opened)
>
> Despite this, there is a connection to the server nicknamed `news'
> (really ludens.elte.hu).
>
> Proc         Status   Buffer         Tty         Command
> nntpd	     open      *server ludens.elte.hu nntp  *nntpd** (none) (network stream connection to ludens.elte.hu)

So this means that going offline doesn't take all the nntp
connections down?  Is this repeatable?  And how did you get that list
of connections?  :-)

* server connection while offline and naming servers in the agent
@ 2002-08-08 17:10 NAGY Andras