* 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-01 14:51 Arvid Grøtting
From: Arvid Grøtting @ 2001-11-01 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today's strange observation:

After upgrading to a CVS Gnus today (current as of Thu Nov 1 15:47:54
CET 2001), reading of 8-bit characters (e.g. latin-1) stops working.
Not at once; they render correctly until I post something myself.
After that, they render as octal escape codes.

Reading 8-bit characters in files outside Gnus still works.

Of course, this could have something to do with my settings, but it
all worked wonderfully until the upgrade.

Any ideas?

--

Arvid

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-01 15:11 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-11-01 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Arvid Grøtting" <arvidg@netfonds.no> writes:

> Today's strange observation:
>
> After upgrading to a CVS Gnus today (current as of Thu Nov 1 15:47:54
> CET 2001), reading of 8-bit characters (e.g. latin-1) stops working.
> Not at once; they render correctly until I post something myself.
> After that, they render as octal escape codes.
>
> Reading 8-bit characters in files outside Gnus still works.
>
> Of course, this could have something to do with my settings, but it
> all worked wonderfully until the upgrade.
>
> Any ideas?

Could you tell me when is the previous update which works? It will
help to narrow down the bug.

ShengHuo

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-01 16:41   ` Arvid Grøtting
From: Arvid Grøtting @ 2001-11-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Could you tell me when is the previous update which works? It will
> help to narrow down the bug.

    cvs up -D 2001-10-6

gives a version that works.  I'll use that version for now.

    cvs up -D 2001-10-7

doesn't.

I haven't checked without an init file, and I do suspect something
unusual in my init files, as noone else seem to have reported this.
Should I post my init files (.emacs and .gnus.el)?

--

Arvid
human binary search engine

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-01 18:11     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-11-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Arvid Grøtting" <arvidg@netfonds.no> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Could you tell me when is the previous update which works? It will
>> help to narrow down the bug.
>
>     cvs up -D 2001-10-6
>
> gives a version that works.  I'll use that version for now.
>
>     cvs up -D 2001-10-7
>
> doesn't.
>
> I haven't checked without an init file, and I do suspect something
> unusual in my init files, as noone else seem to have reported this.
> Should I post my init files (.emacs and .gnus.el)?

Your customization triggers the bug.  article-decode-charset is not
the first item in gnus-article-decode-hook after you customize it.
If I guess right, I've fixed the bug.

ShengHuo

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-01 19:49 ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2001-11-01 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

OoO En ce début d'après-midi ensoleillé du jeudi 01 novembre 2001,
vers 15:51, Arvid Grøtting disait:

> After upgrading to a CVS Gnus today (current as of Thu Nov 1 15:47:54
> CET 2001), reading of 8-bit characters (e.g. latin-1) stops working.
> Not at once; they render correctly until I post something myself.
> After that, they render as octal escape codes.

I have another problem which may be related. I have upgraded to the
latest CVS (of Nov 1, 20:10 CET) and I get this error when compiling :

While compiling the end of the data in file /home/bernat/src/gnus/lisp/mm-util.el:
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined:
    coding-system-list, charset-after

And when I try to post an article (with 8 bits character), I get an
error stating that "charset-after" is void.

I was using the CVS from 29 Oct without a problem.

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-01 22:07   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-11-01 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Bernat <bernat@scientist.com> writes:

>And when I try to post an article (with 8 bits character), I get an
>error stating that "charset-after" is void.

i had this problem after my morning update too, at lunch-time it was fixed.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-01 23:32   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-11-01 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Bernat <bernat@scientist.com> writes:

> OoO En ce début d'après-midi ensoleillé du jeudi 01 novembre 2001,
> vers 15:51, Arvid Grøtting disait:
>
>> After upgrading to a CVS Gnus today (current as of Thu Nov 1 15:47:54
>> CET 2001), reading of 8-bit characters (e.g. latin-1) stops working.
>> Not at once; they render correctly until I post something myself.
>> After that, they render as octal escape codes.
>
> I have another problem which may be related. I have upgraded to the
> latest CVS (of Nov 1, 20:10 CET) and I get this error when compiling :
>
> While compiling the end of the data in file /home/bernat/src/gnus/lisp/mm-util.el:
>   ** The following functions are not known to be defined:
>     coding-system-list, charset-after
>
> And when I try to post an article (with 8 bits character), I get an
> error stating that "charset-after" is void.
>
> I was using the CVS from 29 Oct without a problem.

Are you using XEmacs w/o mule?

Maybe I've fixed it. Please check out the latest CVS and try.

ShengHuo

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-02  8:36     ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2001-11-02  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

OoO En cette nuit nuageuse du vendredi 02 novembre 2001, vers 00:32,
ShengHuo ZHU disait:

>> I was using the CVS from 29 Oct without a problem.

> Are you using XEmacs w/o mule?

Yes.

> Maybe I've fixed it. Please check out the latest CVS and try.

Yes, it is fixed.
éà
--
I AM SO VERY TIRED
I AM SO VERY TIRED

* Re: 8-bit reading of news broken after posting
@ 2001-11-02 10:33       ` Arvid Grøtting
From: Arvid Grøtting @ 2001-11-02 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Your customization triggers the bug.  article-decode-charset is not
> the first item in gnus-article-decode-hook after you customize it.

You're right:

gnus-article-decode-hook's value is
(article-decode-encoded-words article-decode-charset)

> If I guess right, I've fixed the bug.

Yup.  Works wonderfully now.  Thanks!

--

Arvid