* nnfolder: seems broken out of the box on 5.8.8
@ 2001-03-14 18:39 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2001-03-14 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've never used nnfolder before, although it seems to get recreated
even when I try to get rid of all traces of it.

I have no nnfolder- settings in my .gnus.el

When I eradicate any trace of what was previously set up, I get
~/Mail/archive/ created, empty, and the following settings
get copied into my servers:

(nnfolder "archive"
	  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
	  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
	  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
	  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))

And these look to be the current values of those variables as well.

When I use "G m" to make "testing" in "nnfolder:", I get a file
named ~/Mail/testing, and ~/Mail/active gets updated.  This seems contrary
to the settings above.

And in fact, when I then browse the server from the servers, I get
no groups again.

Shouldn't it be ~/Mail/archive/testing and shouldn't it touch
~/Mail/archive/active, and not mix that with my nnml: active file?

* Re: nnfolder: seems broken out of the box on 5.8.8
@ 2001-03-14 18:51 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-03-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> I've never used nnfolder before, although it seems to get recreated
> even when I try to get rid of all traces of it.
>
> I have no nnfolder- settings in my .gnus.el
>
> When I eradicate any trace of what was previously set up, I get
> ~/Mail/archive/ created, empty, and the following settings
> get copied into my servers:
>
> (nnfolder "archive"
> 	  (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
> 	  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
> 	  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
> 	  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
>
> And these look to be the current values of those variables as well.
>
> When I use "G m" to make "testing" in "nnfolder:", I get a file
> named ~/Mail/testing, and ~/Mail/active gets updated.  This seems contrary
> to the settings above.

The method (server) should be "nnfolder:archive" instead of
"nnfolder:".  "nnfolder:" means that you are using the default setting
(or whatever), in which nnfolder-directory is ~/Mail and
nnfolder-active-file is ~/Mail/active.

ShengHuo

* Re: nnfolder: seems broken out of the box on 5.8.8
@ 2001-03-16 22:21 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-03-16 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
> I've never used nnfolder before, although it seems to get recreated
> even when I try to get rid of all traces of it.

If you mean ~/Mail being recreated, I think that's because of nndraft.

WIBNI if we could do something like:
(setq gnus-draft-group "nnfoo:group.name")
where nnfoo would be any backend that supports the necessary
operations?  Then we wouldn't need an extra backend solely for drafts.
Or is nndraft too unlike any other backend?  It derives from nnmh, so
I wouldn't think it would be impossibly different.

paul

* Re: nnfolder: seems broken out of the box on 5.8.8
@ 2001-03-16 22:31   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2001-03-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Paul> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>> I've never used nnfolder before, although it seems to get recreated
>> even when I try to get rid of all traces of it.

Paul> If you mean ~/Mail being recreated, I think that's because of nndraft.

No, I mean ~/Mail/archive.  I got nothing anything close to resembling
this in my .gnus.el, and it insists on creating nnfolder:archive and opening
it.  I saw some code in the sources once that did that for an "archive"
group.  But I have

(setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:outbox")

in my .gnus.el, so I don't know why it even bothers with nnfolder:archive.

* Re: nnfolder: seems broken out of the box on 5.8.8
@ 2001-03-16 23:30   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-16 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: merlyn

On 16 Mar 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:

> WIBNI if we could do something like: (setq gnus-draft-group
> "nnfoo:group.name") where nnfoo would be any backend that supports
> the necessary operations?  Then we wouldn't need an extra backend
> solely for drafts.  Or is nndraft too unlike any other backend?  It
> derives from nnmh, so I wouldn't think it would be impossibly
> different.

Maybe nnmh has the advantage that you can just drop a file into a
directory and lo! you have saved a message.  Gnus uses this to ensure
that auto-saved messages are automatically stored in the draft folder.

If this wasn't the case, the method for auto-saving the current buffer
would have to be changed for message buffers.

Alas, Gnus doesn't auto-grok auto-saved messages.  You have to
manually rename the file from #42# to 42.  Oh, well.  I think I
reported this bug, so it might be fixed by now, but I'm too lazy to
look right now -- it's almost time to hit the sack.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* gnus-draft-group? (was: nnfolder: seems broken)
@ 2001-03-19 19:28     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-03-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 16 Mar 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:
> > WIBNI if we could do something like: (setq gnus-draft-group
> > "nnfoo:group.name") where nnfoo would be any backend that supports
> > the necessary operations?
>
> Maybe nnmh has the advantage that you can just drop a file into a
> directory and lo! you have saved a message.
>
> Gnus uses this to ensure
> that auto-saved messages are automatically stored in the draft folder.

I think this could be generalized to any one-file-per-message backend.
When you start composing a message, Gnus would hand it to the backend
via nnfoo-request-accept-article.  Then we'd just have to add an
nnfoo-article-file-name function to the backend interface; Gnus would
use that to find out what file that article is stored in, and
associate the message buffer with that file.  Would that work?

paul

* Re: gnus-draft-group? (was: nnfolder: seems broken)
@ 2001-03-19 19:41       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-19 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Mar 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:

> I think this could be generalized to any one-file-per-message
> backend.

It won't work for nnml, for example, because of the .overview file.

kai
--

@ 2001-03-19 19:48         ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-03-19 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 19 Mar 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:
> > I think this could be generalized to any one-file-per-message
> > backend.
>
> It won't work for nnml, for example, because of the .overview file.

It would work for the new version of nnmaildir (soon, soon...),
because each message's NOV data will be stored in a separate file, and
will be updated whenever the message file changes.

paul