* nnimap testing and questions
@ 2010-10-01 19:00 Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-10-01 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I had some time and so took the imap thingy for a spin with my cygwin
version

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-05-08
on laptop

.gnus

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
 (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
 (nnimap-server-port 993)
 (nnimap-stream ssl)))

.authinfo had the credentials.

Gnus version was the last git pull around the 25th. Login was a
breeze, it connected to the gmail server but nothing showed up in the
Group buffer! Quit and retried a couple of times before I tried ^
(gnus-group-enter-server-mode) in the Group buffer to goto the Server
and subscribed to the INBOX.

Not sure what the default behaviour should be but anyone using Gnus
with only gmail/imap may be mystified even though it actually
connected.  Should INBOX be made the default subscription?  And is it
because I had gmail labels that it did not show INBOX?

Messages has this, after subscription and retrying

Reading active file via nnml...done
Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli  -p 993 imap.gmail.com'...done
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...done
Opening nnimap server on gmail...done
Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...done
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nnimap+gmail:INBOX...
Fetching headers for nnimap+gmail:INBOX...
Read 0KB [21 times]
Read 1KB [34 times]
Read 2KB [35 times]
Read 3KB [39 times]
Read 4KB [39 times]
Read 28KB [37 times]
Read 29KB
Fetching headers for nnimap+gmail:INBOX...done
Scoring...done
Generating summary...done
No more unseen articles
No more unread articles
Making completion list...

Looks like an awful lot of scanning.  And this is a relatively small
INBOX about 200 mails max.

Password is showing up in plaintext in the imap log.  Is that the
default behaviour?

17:06:14 1 CAPABILITY^M
17:06:15 2 LOGIN "somemail.sivaram@gmail.com" "password_in_plaintext"^M
17:06:17 3 LIST "" "*"^M
17:06:18 4 EXAMINE "INBOX"^M
17:06:18 5 EXAMINE "Personal"^M
17:06:18 6 EXAMINE "Receipts"^M
17:06:18 7 EXAMINE "Travel"^M
17:06:18 8 EXAMINE "Work"^M
17:06:18 9 EXAMINE "[Gmail]/All Mail"^M
17:06:18 10 EXAMINE "[Gmail]/Bin"^M
17:06:18 11 EXAMINE "[Gmail]/Drafts"^M
17:06:18 12 EXAMINE "[Gmail]/Sent Mail"^M
17:06:18 13 EXAMINE "[Gmail]/Spam"^M
17:06:18 14 EXAMINE "[Gmail]/Starred"^M
17:06:18 15 EXAMINE "del_it"^M
17:06:18 16 EXAMINE "hilton"^M
17:06:18 17 EXAMINE "hp"^M
17:06:18 18 EXAMINE "skywards"^M
17:06:19 19 EXAMINE "INBOX"^M

Going into the Summary buffer, things look well, until I try B DEL
 whereupon I get

B <deletechar> is undefined

But B <backspace> works

B DEL           gnus-summary-delete-article
B <backspace>   gnus-summary-delete-article
B <delete>      gnus-summary-delete-article

I check C-h k
B <deletechar> (translated from B M-[ 3 ~) is undefined

Is it a problem in Gnus, Emacs or the terminal?

B m works as advertised.

Other than the above, I didn't do much else. and did a fresh git pull
to update my local copy.

 sivaram

* Re: nnimap testing and questions
@ 2010-10-01 19:20 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-01 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> I had some time and so took the imap thingy for a spin with my cygwin
> version

[...]

> Gnus version was the last git pull around the 25th.

That's really old.  Everything has changed five times since then.  :-)
Try a newer version...

> Password is showing up in plaintext in the imap log.  Is that the
> default behaviour?

Yes.  The imap log won't be in the production version on nnimap.

> Going into the Summary buffer, things look well, until I try B DEL
>  whereupon I get
>
> B <deletechar> is undefined
>
> But B <backspace> works
>
> B DEL           gnus-summary-delete-article
> B <backspace>   gnus-summary-delete-article
> B <delete>      gnus-summary-delete-article
>
> I check C-h k
> B <deletechar> (translated from B M-[ 3 ~) is undefined
>
> Is it a problem in Gnus, Emacs or the terminal?

Sounds like an Emacs problem.

* Re: nnimap testing and questions
@ 2010-10-02 14:12   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-10-02 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Oct 02 2010,Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

[snipped 7 lines]

> That's really old.  Everything has changed five times since then.  :-)
> Try a newer version...

And then I do.  I nuke the .newsrc.eld and try again.

INBOX does not show up by default unless I subscribe to it.

ummm...I checked the manual and it *does* say one has to subscribe.
Sorry for the noise.

[snipped 17 lines]

>> I check C-h k
>> B <deletechar> (translated from B M-[ 3 ~) is undefined
>>
>> Is it a problem in Gnus, Emacs or the terminal?
>
> Sounds like an Emacs problem.

How do I fix this?  Because in the Message buffer, the del key works
as advertised
C-h k
<deletechar> runs the command delete-char, which is an interactive
built-in function in `C source code'.

Only in Gnus does the B Del combo does not work.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Only in Gnus does the B Del combo does not work.

Gnus doesn't do anything in particular.  It binds this command to
B [delete].  If you've mapped your keys not to return the [delete] key,
then you won't be able to use that command.