* Posting to unknown group?
@ 2001-09-19 16:46 Kai Haberzettl
From: Kai Haberzettl @ 2001-09-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

For a while (I can't connect it with any change I made on my system
unfortunately), I am getting a

"Really post to this unknown group?"

whenever I try post to whichever newsgroup. I say yes, and posting
works fine, so it's really only a minor annoyance. I have the
following in my .gnus.el:

 (setq gnus-select-method '(nnspool "/var/spool/news"))
 (setq gnus-post-method '(nntp "localhost"))

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kai

* Re: Posting to unknown group?
@ 2001-09-19 19:27 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Haberzettl <xemacs@khaberz.de> writes:

>  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnspool "/var/spool/news"))
>  (setq gnus-post-method '(nntp "localhost"))

On a tangent: if you use leafnode, I suggest to use nntp for reading,
too.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: Posting to unknown group?
@ 2001-09-19 19:36   ` Kai Haberzettl
From: Kai Haberzettl @ 2001-09-19 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kai Haberzettl <xemacs@khaberz.de> writes:
>
>>  (setq gnus-select-method '(nnspool "/var/spool/news"))
>>  (setq gnus-post-method '(nntp "localhost"))
>
> On a tangent: if you use leafnode, I suggest to use nntp for reading,
> too.

Nope, using INN 2.2.3

Same advice? If yes, why?

Kai

* Re: Posting to unknown group?
@ 2001-09-19 22:02     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-19 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Haberzettl <kai@khaberz.de> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> On a tangent: if you use leafnode, I suggest to use nntp for reading,
>> too.
>
> Nope, using INN 2.2.3
> Same advice? If yes, why?

Leafnode looks to see which groups you are reading to decide which
groups to fetch from the upstream server.  If you circumvent NNTP,
Leafnode cannot look.  So that's why it is better to use NNTP with
Leafnode.

I think you know better than me whether this reasoning applies to INN,
too (or your config for INN).

However, if it makes your life a bit easier to talk NNTP to your local
INN, why not do that.  Of course, the bug in Gnus should be fixed
nevertheless.

kai
--

@ 2001-09-20 16:28       ` Kai Haberzettl
From: Kai Haberzettl @ 2001-09-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Leafnode looks to see which groups you are reading to decide which
> groups to fetch from the upstream server.  If you circumvent NNTP,
> Leafnode cannot look.  So that's why it is better to use NNTP with
> Leafnode.
>
> I think you know better than me whether this reasoning applies to INN,
> too (or your config for INN).

Well. The problem disappeared with reading from NNTP. Thanks. It' just
weird that it used to work like this. Oh well.

> However, if it makes your life a bit easier to talk NNTP to your local
> INN, why not do that.

The main reason I set it up like that is that the manual says that
reading from the spool is usually faster.

Thanks again,
Kai