* Winbloze Eudora 4 and threading
@ 2002-12-09  1:25 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2002-12-09  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Winbloze Eudora 4 emits a broken References: header when replying, that
lacks the last reference, which is still in In-Reply-To. Can I tell Gnus
to ignore References when threading and use only In-Reply-To? Or
possibly add a regexp to match against X-Mailer/X-User-Agent/... like

(setq gnus-mailer-with-b0rken-references "^(Windows Eudora|I am borked)") or
something?

One such offender is "X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2"

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Winbloze Eudora 4 and threading
@ 2002-12-09  2:12 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-12-09  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Winbloze Eudora 4 emits a broken References: header when replying,
> that lacks the last reference, which is still in In-Reply-To. Can I
> tell Gnus to ignore References when threading and use only
> In-Reply-To?
>
> (setq gnus-mailer-with-b0rken-references "^(Windows Eudora|I am borked)") or
> something?

See <info://gnus/Washing+Mail>:

    `nnmail-fix-eudora-headers'
          Eudora produces broken `References' headers, but OK
          `In-Reply-To' headers.  This function will get rid of the
          `References' headers.

* Re: Winbloze Eudora 4 and threading
@ 2002-12-09 14:29   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2002-12-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> See <info://gnus/Washing+Mail>:
>
>     `nnmail-fix-eudora-headers'
>           Eudora produces broken `References' headers, but OK
>           `In-Reply-To' headers.  This function will get rid of the
>           `References' headers.

Ouch. I had forgotten we have mail washing, I only recalled article
washing. Thanks for pointing me there.

In spite of Gnus handling this, I now have in my .mailfilter (I have
some lists and my personal mailbox in mutt still for performance reasons
where this filtering could come in handy outside of gnus):

# weed broken References: headers of Eudora 4
if (/^X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4\./ && /^In-Reply-To:/)
    xfilter 'reformail -I "References:"'

Does Eudora 5 emit any References/In-Reply-To headers at all BTW?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Does Eudora 5 emit any References/In-Reply-To headers at all BTW?

I think so, and it's still broken, if I recall Steinar Bang's survey
of the Eudora References/In-Reply-To brokennessesses.

* Re: Winbloze Eudora 4 and threading
@ 2003-01-02 23:53       ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-01-02 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> Does Eudora 5 emit any References/In-Reply-To headers at all BTW?
>
> I think so, and it's still broken, if I recall Steinar Bang's survey
> of the Eudora References/In-Reply-To brokennessesses.

*sigh* It's always annoying if you're emailing forth and back with a
happy Eudora-4 user and then need to get a parent message in a thread
that is more than one "hop" away... and the references are
missing. Loading enough articles with C-u 200 M-g does the job usually,
but it's cumbersome.

--

@ 2003-01-03  1:45         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-03  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>>
>>> Does Eudora 5 emit any References/In-Reply-To headers at all BTW?
>>
>> I think so, and it's still broken, if I recall Steinar Bang's survey
>> of the Eudora References/In-Reply-To brokennessesses.
>
> *sigh* It's always annoying if you're emailing forth and back with a
> happy Eudora-4 user and then need to get a parent message in a thread
> that is more than one "hop" away... and the references are
> missing. Loading enough articles with C-u 200 M-g does the job usually,
> but it's cumbersome.

Did you try A T?

* Re: Winbloze Eudora 4 and threading
@ 2003-01-03  2:02           ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-01-03  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matthias Andree, ding

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> > *sigh* It's always annoying if you're emailing forth and back with a
> > happy Eudora-4 user and then need to get a parent message in a thread
> > that is more than one "hop" away... and the references are
> > missing. Loading enough articles with C-u 200 M-g does the job usually,
> > but it's cumbersome.
>
> Did you try A T?

Didn't always work for me, but I guess that's because I tweaked the
threading options.

--
Matthias Andree