* Picon questions
@ 2002-01-12 19:08 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The automatic picon creator referenced off the indiana.edu pages is
AWOL, not accepting connections.  Can someone tell me a suitable
pipeline to convert a given face.gif to a picon-compatible colormap?
They're supposed to be reduced to a 32-color set.  I started using
picons just today, and I'm using a mess of new *.gif that I've
created, but they're surely not within the right color parameters as
discussed at indiana.edu.

Also, it seems to me that, once people have picked up the picon
*.tar.Z files, they'll never again get them (they're huge).  Is there
any sort of auto-update scheme, I suppose in a subscription motif,
where one could be notified of new picons' availability?

* Re: Picon questions
@ 2002-01-12 19:26 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-12 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> The automatic picon creator referenced off the indiana.edu pages is
> AWOL, not accepting connections.  Can someone tell me a suitable
> pipeline to convert a given face.gif to a picon-compatible colormap?
> They're supposed to be reduced to a 32-color set.  I started using
> picons just today, and I'm using a mess of new *.gif that I've
> created, but they're surely not within the right color parameters as
> discussed at indiana.edu.

I'd suggest taking a file with known good colors (i.e., something from
the picons database that uses similar colors to what you want to use),
and then use "ppmquant -map that-file.ppm your-file.pmm" to convert
your file to use the same color map.

> Also, it seems to me that, once people have picked up the picon
> *.tar.Z files, they'll never again get them (they're huge).  Is there
> any sort of auto-update scheme, I suppose in a subscription motif,
> where one could be notified of new picons' availability?

In the old version of the picons code, there were functions for
fetching picons off of the web.  I haven't resurrected that code
yet...

But, no, I haven't heard of any auto-updating scheme.  Beyond "apt-get
upgrade".  :-)

* Re: Picon questions
@ 2002-01-13  5:46 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-01-13  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

[...]

> Also, it seems to me that, once people have picked up the picon
> *.tar.Z files, they'll never again get them (they're huge).

Aren't they?

> Is there any sort of auto-update scheme, I suppose in a subscription
> motif, where one could be notified of new picons' availability?

Not that I was ever able to find. The Debian maintainer of the picons
does a fairly infrequent update of the packages...

...but if someone with a large amount of (free) bandwidth was to set up
an rsync server or something like that which people could update from,
that would be very nice. :)

        Daniel

--
Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites.
        -- William Ruckelshaus, _Business Week_, 18 June 1990

* Re: Picon questions
@ 2002-01-19 22:11   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> ...but if someone with a large amount of (free) bandwidth was to set up
> an rsync server or something like that which people could update from,
> that would be very nice. :)

The problem with the picons is that they aren't free, so that would
have to be OK'd by the picons maintainer personages.