* Article read not being marked as such
@ 1998-07-01 14:35 Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira
From: Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira @ 1998-07-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I upgraded from 5.6.3 to 5.6.22 and since then I've been noting that
on Groups where the article to be read is on a thread and his parent
is a ticked article, the article does not get marked as read, dispite
is being displayed.
If I select the ticked article and advance to the "unread" article all
goes well.

Any hints on where to look for the problem ?

On another note: Sometimes I open a group and get as displayed article
one in the midle of a thread, dispite his parent(s) are also unread. I
suspect it ignores the threading info on selecting the first displayed
article and instead goes by "backend" order. Feel free to shout RTFM
with appropriate section if applicable.... :)

BTW, I use nnfolder but also noted that behaviour on nnsoup
backends. Not sure about the others, though.

Thanks in advance.

	Nelson Ferreira
---
Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira |  .  .  .  | INESC/PT-Servicos
Systems Integrator              | |. /  / . | Lisbon,PORTUGAL
mailto:Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt |.||\| | /  | Phone:+351 (1) 3100050
http://ccae-sv.inesc.pt/~njsf   | .|<:/  \. | Fax  :+351 (1) 3100008

* Re: Article read not being marked as such
@ 1998-07-01 15:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:

> I upgraded from 5.6.3 to 5.6.22 and since then I've been noting that
> on Groups where the article to be read is on a thread and his parent
> is a ticked article, the article does not get marked as read, dispite
> is being displayed.
> If I select the ticked article and advance to the "unread" article all
> goes well.

Hm.  It sounds like the positions of the articles is messed up.  Does
`(gnus-summary-goto-subject 674)' (or whatever the article number is)
go to the right summary line?

* Re: Article read not being marked as such
@ 1998-07-25 14:15   ` Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira
From: Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira @ 1998-07-25 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01 Jul 1998 17:34:12 +0200, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen (aka "Lars"),
regarding 'Re: Article read not being marked as such', said:

    Lars> Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:
    >> I upgraded from 5.6.3 to 5.6.22 and since then I've been noting that
    >> on Groups where the article to be read is on a thread and his parent
    >> is a ticked article, the article does not get marked as read, dispite
    >> is being displayed.
    >> If I select the ticked article and advance to the "unread" article all
    >> goes well.

    Lars> Hm.  It sounds like the positions of the articles is messed up.  Does
    Lars> `(gnus-summary-goto-subject 674)' (or whatever the article number is)
    Lars> go to the right summary line?

[...]

Resuming this issue which is not solved in 5.6.25 ...

If I go one line up and then press 'n' all goes well, as does
gnus-summary-goto-article and pressing 'p'.
Selecting with the mouse also exhibits the faulty behaviour.

My threading/scoring/summary options are:

(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'some)
(setq gnus-build-sparse-threads 'more)
(setq gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt)
(setq gnus-summary-ignore-duplicates t)
(setq gnus-thread-indent-level 2)
(setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
(setq gnus-thread-ignore-subject t)

(setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function 'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)
(setq gnus-summary-gather-subject-limit 'fuzzy)
(setq gnus-use-trees nil)
(setq gnus-suppress-duplicates t)
(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
	gnus-thread-sort-by-author
	gnus-thread-sort-by-subject
	gnus-thread-sort-by-date
	gnus-thread-sort-by-score
	gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score))
(setq gnus-score-find-score-files-function
      '(gnus-score-find-bnews
	gnus-score-find-hierarchical
	bbdb/gnus-score))

I've made no modifications to any hooks relevant to this issue (just
message, group and article display).

Any ideas to trace this ? Am I the only one with this problem ?

I also had other questions, which still are open:

    Nelson> On another note: Sometimes I open a group and get as
    Nelson> displayed article one in the midle of a thread, dispite
    Nelson> his parent(s) are also unread. I suspect it ignores the
    Nelson> threading info on selecting the first displayed article
    Nelson> and instead goes by "backend" order. Feel free to shout
    Nelson> RTFM with appropriate section if applicable.... :)

I think this is because of:

(setq gnus-auto-select-first 'best)

which chooses the article with the biggest score on the first
thread. Is there any way to have the following functionality:

'best-thread - The first article in the thread with the better scoring
(the sum of the scores of its' articles)

'thread-of-best - The first article of thread where the best article
is.

Best regards,

	Nelson
---

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:

>     Lars> Hm.  It sounds like the positions of the articles is messed up.  Does
>     Lars> `(gnus-summary-goto-subject 674)' (or whatever the article number is)
>     Lars> go to the right summary line?
>
> [...]
>
> Resuming this issue which is not solved in 5.6.25 ...
>
> If I go one line up and then press 'n' all goes well, as does
> gnus-summary-goto-article and pressing 'p'.
> Selecting with the mouse also exhibits the faulty behaviour.

Yes, but does `(gnus-summary-goto-subject 674)' (or whatever the
article number is) go to the right summary line?

> Is there any way to have the following functionality:
>
> 'best-thread - The first article in the thread with the better scoring
> (the sum of the scores of its' articles)
>
> 'thread-of-best - The first article of thread where the best article
> is.

You'll have to write hook functions that do the desired moving around
in the buffer.

* Re: Article read not being marked as such
@ 1998-07-26 17:37       ` Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira
From: Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira @ 1998-07-26 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Jul 1998 17:39:27 +0200, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen (aka "Lars"),
regarding 'Re: Article read not being marked as such', said:

    Lars> Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:

    Lars> Hm.  It sounds like the positions of the articles is messed
    Lars> up.  Does `(gnus-summary-goto-subject 674)' (or whatever the
    Lars> article number is) go to the right summary line?
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Resuming this issue which is not solved in 5.6.25 ...
    >>
    >> If I go one line up and then press 'n' all goes well, as does
    >> gnus-summary-goto-article and pressing 'p'.  Selecting with the
    >> mouse also exhibits the faulty behaviour.

    Lars> Yes, but does `(gnus-summary-goto-subject 674)' (or whatever
    Lars> the article number is) go to the right summary line?

Hmm... Last time I couldn't find that function... Weird...Sorry 'bout
that..

Ok, but now that I "found" it, the behaviour is exactly as I
described, it *goes* to the right summary line _if the thread is
already expanded_ but *does not* mark article as read when this
article is in a thread under a ticked one.

When I first enter the group not selecting any article, and give do
gnus-summary-goto-subject it goes to the line of the right *thread*
but does not expand it, contrary to gnus-summary-goto-article.

I remember I tested with gnus-summary-goto-article, because tracing
from group selection made me look at gnus-summary-best-unread-article
where gnus-summary-goto-article is used.

    >> Is there any way to have the following functionality:
    >>
    >> 'best-thread - The first article in the thread with the better
    >> scoring (the sum of the scores of its' articles)
    >>
    >> 'thread-of-best - The first article of thread where the best
    >> article is.

    Lars> You'll have to write hook functions that do the desired moving around
    Lars> in the buffer.

I'd have to grab gnus-summary-prepare-hook or gnus-summary-prepared-hook ?
Are there any examples out there on how I could do this ? Maybe on the
Fine Manual ?

While tracing the previous problem I thought I would have to hack
gnus-summary-read-group-1 and make
gnus-summary-best-thread-first-article and
gnus-summary-first-of-best-thread-article functions, based on
gnus-summary-best-unread-article...
What defuns could I use to:

a) Find the first article of the thread of given article
b) Find the score of thread of article (this should be tied to first
   of thread, right?)

Best regards,

	Nelson
---

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-30 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:

> When I first enter the group not selecting any article, and give do
> gnus-summary-goto-subject it goes to the line of the right *thread*
> but does not expand it, contrary to gnus-summary-goto-article.

Oh; I didn't notice that you were talking about hidden threads.  Could
you run the problem by me again?

* Re: Article read not being marked as such
@ 1998-07-31 17:21           ` Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira
From: Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira @ 1998-07-31 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Jul 1998 22:41:55 +0200, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen (aka "Lars"),
regarding 'Re: Article read not being marked as such', said:

    Lars> Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:
    >> When I first enter the group not selecting any article, and give do
    >> gnus-summary-goto-subject it goes to the line of the right *thread*
    >> but does not expand it, contrary to gnus-summary-goto-article.

    Lars> Oh; I didn't notice that you were talking about hidden threads.  Could
    Lars> you run the problem by me again?

[...]

Sure.

When I enter a group with space ou mouse (i.e. gnus-topic-read-group
or gnus-mouse-pick-topic, because I use topics) and the first article
to be read is in a thread with a parent article which is ticked, it
does not get marked as read.
Moving the cursor up or selecting another article and then selecting
the first article again makes it being marked as read.

[...]

Hope this is enough.

Best regards,

	Nelson
---

@ 1998-07-31 18:50             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-07-31 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:

>> [...]
>
> Sure.
>
> When I enter a group with space ou mouse (i.e. gnus-topic-read-group
> or gnus-mouse-pick-topic, because I use topics) and the first article
> to be read is in a thread with a parent article which is ticked, it
> does not get marked as read.
> Moving the cursor up or selecting another article and then selecting
> the first article again makes it being marked as read.

I have noticed a very similar behavior.  I have a setting to keep from
going to first unread when entering a group.  I like to do it manually
after looking things over.  So when I press 'n' the first time, if the
first unread is in a hidden thread it will be displayed in an article
buffer but remains marked unread. Moving on with another 'n' will
leave the first one showing unread, unless I go back to it.  Pressing
<RET> after the first 'n' still leaves the article unread.

Only happens when the first unread is in a hidden thread.

Related settings:
(set-variable (quote gnus-group-goto-unread) nil)
(setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Article read not being marked as such
@ 1998-08-01 14:26             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-01 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:

> When I enter a group with space ou mouse (i.e. gnus-topic-read-group
> or gnus-mouse-pick-topic, because I use topics) and the first article
> to be read is in a thread with a parent article which is ticked, it
> does not get marked as read.

I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check after Gnus
v5.6.28 has been released to see whether things start working?

* Re: Article read not being marked as such
@ 1998-08-04 13:12               ` Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira
From: Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira @ 1998-08-04 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01 Aug 1998 16:26:45 +0200, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen (aka "Lars"),
regarding 'Re: Article read not being marked as such', said:

    Lars> Nelson Jose dos Santos Ferreira <Nelson.Ferreira@inesc.pt> writes:
    >> When I enter a group with space ou mouse (i.e. gnus-topic-read-group
    >> or gnus-mouse-pick-topic, because I use topics) and the first article
    >> to be read is in a thread with a parent article which is ticked, it
    >> does not get marked as read.

    Lars> I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check after Gnus
    Lars> v5.6.28 has been released to see whether things start working?

[...]

I confirm that the problem is solved, has did Harry.

Best regards,

	Nelson
---