* controlling whether gnus splits long Subject: lines, for example, this one
@ 2001-11-06 22:15 Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2001-11-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can any of you tell me how to convince Gnus (or whatever is
doing it) not to split long Subject lines in my outgoing messages?

For example, when I look at my Gcc'd copy of this message,
I'll find that Gnus has inserted a newline into the above Subject line.

Thanks,
Jim

* Re: controlling whether gnus splits long Subject: lines, for example, this one
@ 2001-11-06 22:48 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-11-06 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:

>Can any of you tell me how to convince Gnus (or whatever is
>doing it) not to split long Subject lines in my outgoing messages?
>
>For example, when I look at my Gcc'd copy of this message,
>I'll find that Gnus has inserted a newline into the above Subject line.

Why do you want to do this? Long headers have to be splited since there
is a maximum line length for header lines.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: controlling whether gnus splits long Subject: lines, for example, this one
@ 2001-11-07  6:40   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-11-07  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:
>
>>Can any of you tell me how to convince Gnus (or whatever is
>>doing it) not to split long Subject lines in my outgoing messages?
>>
>>For example, when I look at my Gcc'd copy of this message,
>>I'll find that Gnus has inserted a newline into the above Subject line.
>
> Why do you want to do this? Long headers have to be splited since there
> is a maximum line length for header lines.

Actually, they don't have to be split and many mailers do not do it.
Gnus started doing it only recently.  I believe the behavior is
recommended by the standards though.

But the answer to Jim's question is no -- the code that does this
wrapping has no hook that allows any exceptions, nor is there a way to
prevent the code from running when a message is sent.

--
matt

* Re: controlling whether gnus splits long Subject: lines, for example, this one
@ 2001-11-07  9:13     ` Peter Makholm
From: Peter Makholm @ 2001-11-07  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

matt+dated+1007707248.2aa5f2@lickey.com ("Matt Armstrong") writes:

[Just wrote to gnu.emacs.gnus a couple of days ago]

> Actually, they don't have to be split and many mailers do not do it.
> Gnus started doing it only recently.  I believe the behavior is
> recommended by the standards though.

Very recently. I know that the standard allows hjeader folding but I
use a couple of mailbots that gets commands through the subject line.
fixing the bots would take a lot of time I dont have.

> But the answer to Jim's question is no -- the code that does this
> wrapping has no hook that allows any exceptions, nor is there a way to
> prevent the code from running when a message is sent.

I couldn't find the code at all. Can you point me to it so I
eventually can remove it by hand?

--
Når folk spørger mig, om jeg er nørd, bliver jeg altid ilde til mode
og svarer lidt undskyldende: "Nej, jeg bruger RedHat".

* Re: controlling whether gnus splits long Subject: lines, for example, this one
@ 2001-11-07  9:48   ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2001-11-07  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> wrote:
> Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:
>>Can any of you tell me how to convince Gnus (or whatever is
>>doing it) not to split long Subject lines in my outgoing messages?
>>
>>For example, when I look at my Gcc'd copy of this message,
>>I'll find that Gnus has inserted a newline into the above Subject line.
>
> Why do you want to do this? Long headers have to be splited since there
> is a maximum line length for header lines.

Are you sure they absolutely *must* be split?
Just because a standard says it must be done doesn't make it right --
though going against the standard can be painful :-)

My particular problem is in corresponding with people whose mail clients
put the split line back together in such a way that they end up removing
a space that (in the original subject) used to separate two words.

Here's an example:
Yesterday I sent a message with a subject like this:

  Subject: ............................................ remaining files associated ...

a colleague replied with this:

to which I replied, and he replied again, with this:

I don't like seeing my Subject: lines mangled like that.
It makes it much harder to find things in the archive later.
BTW, the mail client that pasted the lines together without
the intervening space appears to be Mozilla 4.73.

* Re: controlling whether gnus splits long Subject: lines, for example, this one
@ 2001-11-07 10:03     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-11-07 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:

> Here's an example:
> Yesterday I sent a message with a subject like this:
>
>   Subject: ............................................ remaining files associated ...
>
> a colleague replied with this:
>
>   Subject: ............................................ remaining filesassociated ...
>
> to which I replied, and he replied again, with this:
>
>   Subject: ............................................ remainingfilesassociated  ...

  Wheee !! You should deposit a patent for this new compression scheme :-)

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: controlling whether gnus splits long Subject: lines, for example, this one
@ 2001-11-07 16:11       ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-11-07 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> writes:

> matt+dated+1007707248.2aa5f2@lickey.com ("Matt Armstrong") writes:
>
> [Just wrote to gnu.emacs.gnus a couple of days ago]
>
>> Actually, they don't have to be split and many mailers do not do it.
>> Gnus started doing it only recently.  I believe the behavior is
>> recommended by the standards though.
>
> Very recently. I know that the standard allows hjeader folding but I
> use a couple of mailbots that gets commands through the subject line.
> fixing the bots would take a lot of time I dont have.
>
>> But the answer to Jim's question is no -- the code that does this
>> wrapping has no hook that allows any exceptions, nor is there a way to
>> prevent the code from running when a message is sent.
>
> I couldn't find the code at all. Can you point me to it so I
> eventually can remove it by hand?

See rfc2047.el and search for the comment "No encoding necessary, but
folding is nice"

--
matt