* Please help me create a nnbabyl group
@ 1997-07-14 14:09 Aharon Schkolnik
From: Aharon Schkolnik @ 1997-07-14 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I've tried, but I can't seem to get it right.

Here'w what I've tried:

;;; Editing the select method for `nnbabyl+/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y:y.y'.
;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.

(nnbabyl "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y"
	 (nnbabyl-mbox-file "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y")
	 (nnbabyl-active-file "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y-active")
	 (nnbabyl-get-new-mail nil))

Here's what I get:

Couldn't request group nnbabyl+/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y:y.y: No such group: y.y

TIA.

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   Aharon@Health.Gov.IL

* Re: Please help me create a nnbabyl group
@ 1997-07-16 18:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-07-16 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aharon Schkolnik <aharon@health.gov.il> writes:

> I've tried, but I can't seem to get it right.
>
> Here'w what I've tried:
>
> ;;; Editing the select method for `nnbabyl+/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y:y.y'.
> ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
>
> (nnbabyl "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y"
> 	 (nnbabyl-mbox-file "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y")
> 	 (nnbabyl-active-file "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y-active")
> 	 (nnbabyl-get-new-mail nil))

Hm.  Well, nnbabyl is a many-groups-in-one-file backend, so you
probably can't do it this way.  It'll split the messages in the file
according to `nnmail-split-methods'.

* Re: Please help me create a nnbabyl group
@ 1997-07-17  5:29   ` Aharon Schkolnik
From: Aharon Schkolnik @ 1997-07-17  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Aharon Schkolnik <aharon@health.gov.il> writes:
    >> I've tried, but I can't seem to get it right.
    >>
    >> Here'w what I've tried:
    >>
    >> ;;; Editing the select method for
    >> `nnbabyl+/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y:y.y'.  ;; Type `C-c C-c'
    >> after you've finished editing.
    >>
    >> (nnbabyl "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y" (nnbabyl-mbox-file
    >> "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y") (nnbabyl-active-file
    >> "/usr/users/aharon/News/y.y-active") (nnbabyl-get-new-mail
    >> nil))

    Lars> Hm.  Well, nnbabyl is a many-groups-in-one-file backend, so
    Lars> you probably can't do it this way.  It'll split the messages
    Lars> in the file according to `nnmail-split-methods'.

If that's the case, I'm back to my original question:

I save articles using gnus-summary-save-in-rmail (I would be willing
to change to gnus-summary-save-in-mail if that would help
anything). This generates a babyl format file (one per group). Later,
I want to go back, look at these saved messages, and delete some of
them. I can create an nndoc group, and look at them, but I can't
DELETE them (I mean delete as in remove from disk - not mark as
read). I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one interested in
this kind of thing. What do others do with articles they have saved,
and later want to delete ?

TIA.

--

@ 1997-07-17 11:57     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-17 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Aharon> I save articles using gnus-summary-save-in-rmail (I would be
  Aharon> willing to change to gnus-summary-save-in-mail if that would
  Aharon> help anything). This generates a babyl format file (one per
  Aharon> group). Later, I want to go back, look at these saved
  Aharon> messages, and delete some of them.

Create nnfolder groups.  This is a one-file-per-group,
many-messages-per-file, backend, and uses Unix mbox format for the
files.

Use "B c" to copy a message from any group (nntp groups work, too)
into such an nnfolder group.  ("B m" moves the message, so it works
for writable groups only.)

But then, if you're using "B c" there is no restriction on the backend
of the target group, so you can use nnml and nnmh, too.

kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: Please help me create a nnbabyl group
@ 1997-07-18  7:52       ` Aharon Schkolnik
From: Aharon Schkolnik @ 1997-07-18  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Aharon> I save articles using gnus-summary-save-in-rmail (I would
    Aharon> be willing to change to gnus-summary-save-in-mail if that
    Aharon> would help anything). This generates a babyl format file
    Aharon> (one per group). Later, I want to go back, look at these
    Aharon> saved messages, and delete some of them.

    Kai> Create nnfolder groups.  This is a one-file-per-group,
    Kai> many-messages-per-file, backend, and uses Unix mbox format
    Kai> for the files.

Let's see if I've got this straight:

1. I shouldn't use babyl format to save messages because there is no
backend which will read the resulting file (one file per group) and
allow message deletion (erasing from the disk - not just marking).

2. If I switch to gnus-summary-save-in-mail, I will generate mbox
format files - one per group. I can then use nnfolder to read the
resulting files, and I will be able to delete messages.

    Kai> Use "B c" to copy a message from any group (nntp groups work,
    Kai> too) into such an nnfolder group.  ("B m" moves the message,
    Kai> so it works for writable groups only.)

3. In order to transfer the messages which I have saved in babyl
format, I need to create nndoc groups, use B c to move the messages to
nnfolder groups, delete the old babyl files using the shell - not Gnus.

    Kai> But then, if you're using "B c" there is no restriction on
    Kai> the backend of the target group, so you can use nnml and
    Kai> nnmh, too.

Yeah, but my main concern is how best to save messages from gnus
(gnus-summary-save-in-*) and then to be able to delete the saved
messages - for that, I understand, the best (only ?) choice is
nnfolder.

If I understand everything correctly, it would seem strange that there
is a backend which can delete from mbox format - one group per file,
but there is no backend which can delete from babyl format - one group
per file. If this is true, is there some good reason for it ?

Thanks a lot !

--

@ 1997-07-18  8:08         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-18  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Aharon> Yeah, but my main concern is how best to save messages from
  Aharon> gnus (gnus-summary-save-in-*) and then to be able to delete
  Aharon> the saved messages - for that, I understand, the best (only
  Aharon> ?) choice is nnfolder.

I was trying to suggest that you use "B c" INSTEAD OF
gnus-summary-save-in-*.

I never use the gnus-summary-save-in-* functions, I just use "B c" and
"B m".  Works real well.  I think the gnus-summary-save-in-* functions
are only useful if you want to make use of an article outside of Gnus,
such as saving it in a file then ftp'ing the file to another machine.

kai
--

@ 1997-07-18  8:37           ` Aharon Schkolnik
From: Aharon Schkolnik @ 1997-07-18  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Aharon> Yeah, but my main concern is how best to save messages
    Aharon> from gnus (gnus-summary-save-in-*) and then to be able to
    Aharon> delete the saved messages - for that, I understand, the
    Aharon> best (only ?) choice is nnfolder.

    Kai> I was trying to suggest that you use "B c" INSTEAD OF
    Kai> gnus-summary-save-in-*.

    Kai> I never use the gnus-summary-save-in-* functions, I just use
    Kai> "B c" and "B m".  Works real well.  I think the
    Kai> gnus-summary-save-in-* functions are only useful if you want
    Kai> to make use of an article outside of Gnus, such as saving it
    Kai> in a file then ftp'ing the file to another machine.

Oh, right ! That makes sense. That opens up a whole bunch of
possibilites. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks !