* Hi!
@ 2001-04-01 23:33 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-04-01 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Long time, no see, and stuff.

I've just been through the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup, mopping up
unresolved issues, and when it's time to start on gnus.ding, the
weekend has mysteriously ended.

Oh, well.  Easter is in a couple of weeks, isn't it?  That's
loadsadays.

But the most pressing question at the moment is -- what on Earth are
we going to do about Oort Gnus merchandising?  It's been *months*
since Oort started, and nothing has been done!

I got a catalogue from the place that did the mugs, and I'm leafing
through it right now.  Two things that look OK to me are shorts and
clocks.  They have lots of shorts models, and they're all in the
"almost down to the knees" variety.  Looks OK to me.  And summer is
almost here, and stuff.

I can't quite think of a design that would fit...  (The design could
be either printed or stitched.)

Now, clocks seem like a better fit for Oort.  Imagine the clock face
-- black, with a Gnus logo in the middle, on a starry background, with
larger stars marking, say, 12, 3, 6 and 9.  Or all the hours.  The
stars could continue on the, er, whatchamacall it -- the thing that
goes around the wrist.  Unless a (fake) leather strap (that's it) is
used.  Which would probably be more comfortable for most people.

Both items are expesive(ish).  The clock would be USD 17 plus plus
plus (VAT, shipping, startup costs, etc), and the shorts would be
around USD 21.

Or we could do something else.  Or nothing at all.  Anybody got any
ideas/wishes/anything?

* Re: Hi!
@ 2001-04-02  6:08 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-04-02  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I'd be happier with a clock than a watch.  I still need a clock
for my bathroom so I can see how much time I'm wasting in the shower.
Do they have clocks, too, or only watches?

And then, I could do with another sweater.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Hi!
@ 2001-04-02  6:45   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-04-02  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, I'd be happier with a clock than a watch.  I still need a clock
> for my bathroom so I can see how much time I'm wasting in the shower.
> Do they have clocks, too, or only watches?

I've worked iron and steel all my life... I could use a new anvil.

Moderately heavy .. around 100 kilo  would be about right for work
around home.

I hear there are several manufactures in Sweden that make really
attractive ones with good tool steel tops.  Maybe with a "gnu"
engraved on the side.

You don't think shipping would be problem do you?

* Re: Hi!
@ 2001-04-02 10:12 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-04-02 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Or we could do something else.  Or nothing at all.  Anybody got any
> ideas/wishes/anything?

Both?  Shorts would bring me a lot closer to a Gnus-only wear, an
important goal.  Somehow I feel naked when wearing two t-shirts, a
sweatshirt and a cap.  A watch would bring me a little step closer,
also be useful in winther, and I'm not totally satisfied with the
signals send by my Dilbert watch.

* Hi!
@ 2001-04-02 11:53 ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2001-04-02 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shorts?  Canadian summers are very cold-- the air conditions set room
temperature at about 15 C. No one who works inside wears shorts.

No watches, please-- I'm a klutz and I've broken every watch I've
worn. Also, I promised that I would never buy a watch that didn't
automatically do DST->EST.

I now carry a Visor instead. I was very disappointed it didn't do
DST->EST but its usefulness in other aspects more than outweighed
this limitation.

Clocks, hmmm...maybe. Instead of stars, though, they should be
comets-- the Oort cloud contains comets.

You can't go wrong with T-shirts. Also, if they are long enough, you
don't feel naked.

Anyway I did a bit or research on Oort last night: 2000 was the
centenary of his birth (d.1992); his motto was "Looking ahead in
wonder".  I didn't scribble this down, but I think he also discovered
that galaxies spin and pinpointed the position of the Sun in our
galaxy.

I was thinking something like a Gnu distorted in the shape of our
Galaxy. On the back, a picture of Oort or the Oort cloud and the
motto and the Gnus motto (which has "cloud" in it too).

There are more possiblities with T-shirts then with other novelty
items.

* Re: Hi!
@ 2001-04-02 13:27   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-04-02 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> You can't go wrong with T-shirts. Also, if they are long enough, you
> don't feel naked.

:-)

> Anyway I did a bit or research on Oort last night: 2000 was the
> centenary of his birth (d.1992); his motto was "Looking ahead in
> wonder".  I didn't scribble this down, but I think he also discovered
> that galaxies spin and pinpointed the position of the Sun in our
> galaxy.
>
> I was thinking something like a Gnu distorted in the shape of our
> Galaxy. On the back, a picture of Oort or the Oort cloud and the
> motto and the Gnus motto (which has "cloud" in it too).

Oooo.  Sounds cool.

I was thinking of a new motto for Oort Gnus.

----
Big.  Far out.  Deadly.

Oort Gnus.
----

Or something like that.  Perhaps switching "Deadly" with "Occasionally
rains fiery death upon unbelievers."

> There are more possiblities with T-shirts then with other novelty
> items.

Definitely.  But we've done t-shirts twice.  Other parts of the human
anatomy also demands to be covered in Gnus clothing.

Perhaps a shirty shirt, or a sweater of some kind...  Or socks.

* Re: Hi!
@ 2001-04-03  7:41     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-04-03  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr  2, 2001, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Definitely.  But we've done t-shirts twice.  Other parts of the human
> anatomy also demands to be covered in Gnus clothing.

Sunglasses?

--
You can read e-mail without Oort Gnus sunglasses,
but you can't read it without Oort Gnus.

> Perhaps a shirty shirt, or a sweater of some kind...  Or socks.

Shoes?  Well, you can always order a personalized pair of shoes saying
``Oort Gnus.''.

How about pijamas?  If you can't go to bed before checking your
mail-box... :-)

* Re: Hi!
@ 2001-04-03 23:23       ` Amos Gouaux
From: Amos Gouaux @ 2001-04-03 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

ao> How about pijamas?  If you can't go to bed before checking your
ao> mail-box... :-)

Now that's an idea.  :-)

--
Amos

* Re: Hi!
@ 2001-04-10 16:30     ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-04-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Definitely.  But we've done t-shirts twice.  Other parts of the
> human anatomy also demands to be covered in Gnus clothing.

Yes, like the most important parts.  I'm thinking boxer shorts.
Perhaps some dark solid color decorated with lots and lots of little
white Gnus'..