* searching Gmane questions
@ 2017-12-01 16:37 myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2017-12-01 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Note: My similar post on info-gnus-englisht@gnu.org yesterday seems lost
so re-postin here ... sorry if this produces noise for anyone ...

I became highly addicted to Gmane search but 'G G' on gmane has produced
errors like 'open-network-stream: search.gmane.org/80 Name or service
not known' for over a year :-(

Since the gmane blog (http://home.gmane.org) has been static for over a
year I am wondering, is there any reason to hope that gmane search will
start working again?

A few related questions:

Is/was gmane unique amoung NNTP servers in providing a search interface?

Is/was the interface between gnus and gmane a custom thing?

Is there a standard for searching NNTP servers?

Is it practical to download nntp://news.gmane.org archive in order to
search them?

TIA - George

* Re: searching GMANE questions
@ 2017-12-02  6:43 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-12-02  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> So I wonder, will gmane search ever work again? Does anybody know
> anything about this?

I don't know anything about this, but it would have been nice to have
the 'G G' functionality in Gnus back.

> And few related questions:

> Is/was gmane unique amoung NNTP servers in providing a search interface?

I don't know, but I think so.

> Is/was the interface between gnus and gmane a custom thing?

Yes.  But it should be easy to find the format from the Gnus code.

I think it involved an HTTP call and an XML response with the search
results...?

> Is there any standard way to search NNTP servers?

Not that I know of.

> Is there any way, short of running a news server, to download the
> gmane.emacs.gnus.general archive?

I don't know.

* searching GMANE questions
@ 2017-12-01 22:15 George myglc2 Clemmer
From: George myglc2 Clemmer @ 2017-12-01 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Note: An attempted post on info-gnus-english@gnu.org yesterday and via
gmane.emacs.gnus.general today seems to have gone missing :-( So I am
re-posting this via ding@gnus.org ... sorry for the noise, if any.

A few years ago I became highly addicted to Gmane search. But starting
in July 2016 'G G' on gmane groups produced only 'open-network-stream:
search.gmane.org/80 Name or service not known' :-(

At the time the situation was discussed by gmane's founder:
https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/ and by gname's
new management: http://home.gmane.org/2016/08/ AFAICS there is no update
to the situation since September: 2016 http://home.gmane.org/2016/09/