* Bug in documentation
@ 2003-05-01 18:00 Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 2003-05-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the info files, node "Agent Basics" it says:

   * You then decide to see whether any new news has arrived.  You
     connect your machine to the net (using PPP or whatever), and then
     hit `J j' to make Gnus become "plugged" and use `g' to check for
     new mail as usual.  To check for new mail in unplugged mode, see
     (*Note Mail Source Specifiers::).

However, in the node "Mail Source Specifiers" there is no such information. And
anyway, is there any point in checking for mail in unplugged mode? I mean, the
local machine is supposed to be offline, no?

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman           |  I've got sunshine in my pockets
Dept. of Computer Science   |  Brought it back to spray the day

* Re: Bug in documentation
@ 2003-05-01 18:13 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-05-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <jhh@cs.kun.nl> writes:

> In the info files, node "Agent Basics" it says:
>
>    * You then decide to see whether any new news has arrived.  You
>      connect your machine to the net (using PPP or whatever), and then
>      hit `J j' to make Gnus become "plugged" and use `g' to check for
>      new mail as usual.  To check for new mail in unplugged mode, see
>      (*Note Mail Source Specifiers::).
>
> However, in the node "Mail Source Specifiers" there is no such
> information.

There is:

    `:plugged'
          If non-`nil', fetch the mail even when Gnus is unplugged.  If
          you use directory source to get mail, you can specify it as
          in this example:

               (setq mail-sources
                     '((directory :path "/home/pavel/.Spool/"
                                  :suffix ""
                                  :plugged t)))

          Gnus will then fetch your mail even when you are unplugged.
          This is useful when you use local mail and news.

> And anyway, is there any point in checking for mail in unplugged
> mode? I mean, the local machine is supposed to be offline, no?

I think it is easier to understand how Gnus works if you think about
unplugged referring to the server, not the client.  It is possible and
useful to have some servers unplugged and some servers not.  In that
scenario, it may be useful to fetch mail even when you are unplugged.

* Re: Bug in documentation
@ 2003-05-01 21:00 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-05-01 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding