* message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 13:07 Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 2000-11-17 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that message-forward-ignored-headers should be augmented with
"^Xref", since this header is inserted by Gnus. I would also like to
have Received headers removed when forwarding, as they contain
information about the receiver's network topology which there is no
reason to divulge.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 14:23 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-11-17 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Eric Marsden <emarsden@mail.dotcom.fr> writes:

> I would also like to have Received headers removed when forwarding,
> as they contain information about the receiver's network topology
> which there is no reason to divulge.

Oh no!  I often ask people to "forward that mail to me" so that I can
take a look at received headers to diagnose problems.  If "forward"
doesn't send the complete mail, it's useless when debugging problems.

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 14:26   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2000-11-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Simon> Oh no!

Strongly agree for the same reason!

i. A.
Christoph Conrad
--
CLI-GmbH,  Matthiashofstr. 28-30,  D-52064 Aachen
Fon: +49 241 47051-0  Fax: +49 241 47051-89 Web: http://www.cli.de

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 14:38   ` Paul Jarc
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Jarc @ 2000-11-17 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <sj@extundo.com> writes:
> Eric Marsden <emarsden@mail.dotcom.fr> writes:
> > I would also like to have Received headers removed when forwarding,
> > as they contain information about the receiver's network topology
> > which there is no reason to divulge.
>
> Oh no!  I often ask people to "forward that mail to me" so that I can
> take a look at received headers to diagnose problems.

I think what we want, then, are two separate functions.  One should
forward the original body along with a minimal set of header fields:
say, Subject, Date, From, To, Cc, maybe a few others.  Another should
send the entire message exactly as it comes out of the backend, as
with C-u g.  Or else if there's only one function, we want the list of
screened fields to be easily configurable on a per-forward basis.

paul

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 15:34     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-11-17 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Or else if there's only one function, we want the list of screened
> fields to be easily configurable on a per-forward basis.

It is customizable with `message-forward-ignored-headers', you also
get to edit the mail before it's sent so you might manually remove
lines you don't like if you think it's necessery.  Perhaps two
functions could be a solution if this is a real need.

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 16:35     ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2000-11-17 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I too had grown used to this "forward only the content" operation from
previous mail programs I've used. While Gnus is probably doing The
Right Thing by MIME-ifying the forwarded message, a sometimes
unfortunate consequence is that the recipient of the forwarded message
opens the "attached" message and replies to *it* - rather than to
me. Yes, this is pilot error, mostly due to the way MS Outlook
presents the message(s), but it would be handy to prevent it on the
sender end.

The way I do this "forward only the content" now is to open the
original message, copy the body, and paste it into a new message.

--
Steven E. Harris        :: steven.harris@tenzing.com
Tenzing                 :: http://www.tenzing.com

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 16:51     ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-11-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi Paul,

On 17 Nov 2000, Paul Jarc wrote:
> I think what we want, then, are two separate functions.  One should
> forward the original body along with a minimal set of header fields:
> say, Subject, Date, From, To, Cc, maybe a few others.  Another
> should send the entire message exactly as it comes out of the
> backend, as with C-u g.  Or else if there's only one function, we
> want the list of screened fields to be easily configurable on a
> per-forward basis.

Actually you can do this right now: If you give a prefix to
gnus-summary-mail-forward it will ignore
message-forward-ignored-headers (and toggle forward-as-mime also).

The coupling of these two effects is questionable. I had to set
forward-as-mime to nil to get the right behaviour for me: If forwarded
as mime, it sends all headers and lets the receiving MUA handle hide
uninteresting stuff. If send as inline text most people do not want to
see all this technical stuff.

Greetings
		Christoph

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 17:08       ` Kevin Falcone
From: Kevin Falcone @ 2000-11-17 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

  SEH> I too had grown used to this "forward only the content"
  SEH> operation from previous mail programs I've used. While Gnus is
  SEH> probably doing The Right Thing by MIME-ifying the forwarded
  SEH> message,

Actually, you _can_ have it both ways

(setq message-forward-as-mime nil)

then set message-forward-ignored-headers, and you will get a pretty
stripped down plain text message with "----Forwarded Message--"
headers and footers.

If you then do C-u C-c C-f it will send a mime forward

-kevin

--
"...the Jedi learned early on what language the universe was programmed
in. Then they took advantage of an accident of language to obscure this

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 17:43         ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2000-11-17 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Again, I say, "Wow!"

--

@ 2000-11-17 22:20         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-17 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 17 Nov 2000, Kevin Falcone wrote:

> Actually, you _can_ have it both ways
>
> (setq message-forward-as-mime nil)

You don't need this variable setting.  `C-u C-c C-f' is useful with
both settings.  It does the other forward type.

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: message-forward-ignored-headers is incomplete
@ 2000-11-17 23:19           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-17 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 17 Nov 2000, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> You don't need this variable setting.  `C-u C-c C-f' is useful with
> both settings.  It does the other forward type.

Please ignore me.  I overlooked the obvious: the part about the headers.

kai