* Default values
@ 1997-06-05  8:42 Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-06-05  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus is a bit inconsistent regarding default values..

for example when outputting to file, the prompt looks something like:

Save this article in mail file : (default comp.lang.python)
   Here I am -----------------------------------------------^

But when using nnweb I get asked something like:

Search Engine type: Altavista
 And here ----------^

I would preferr something like

Search Engine type (altavista):
  and now gnus waits here ------^

Though, I believe thet the search string in nnweb should appear on the
input-line.. uhmm.. :-)

	/Andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: Default values
@ 1997-06-06  3:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-06-06  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> But when using nnweb I get asked something like:
>
> Search Engine type: Altavista
>  And here ----------^
>
> I would preferr something like
>
> Search Engine type (altavista):
>   and now gnus waits here ------^

The advantage of the former method is that you just press `C-k' if you
don't want the default.  And if you almost want it, but just want to
edit it slightly, you can, but you can't with the latter.

* Re: Default values
@ 1997-06-06  6:34   ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-06-06  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

| The advantage of the former method is that you just press `C-k' if you
| don't want the default.  And if you almost want it, but just want to
| edit it slightly, you can, but you can't with the latter.

Yep the problem is.. I don't slightly want to modify the search
engine! Either I want it, or I choose another one.

For the search string I agree..

	/Andy

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-06-06 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> Yep the problem is.. I don't slightly want to modify the search
> engine! Either I want it, or I choose another one.

That's true.  Fix in Gnus v5.4.57.

* Re: Default values
@ 1997-06-06 18:06 ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1997-06-06 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Gnus is a bit inconsistent regarding default values..

 > for example when outputting to file, the prompt looks something like:

 > Save this article in mail file : (default comp.lang.python)
 >    Here I am -----------------------------------------------^

There are lots of prompts such as this one where I would prefer to be
able to edit the default.  The one I use frequently is
gnus-summary-move-article.  (Splitting isn't perfect.)

If I just use the default, the empty response gets placed in the
corresponding minibuffer history, which often ends up looking like
	10	nnml:-mail.work
	11
	12	nnml:-uw.cs.proj
	13
	14	nnml:-mail.junk
Moreover, having the default as part of the minibuffer prompt often
makes the minibuffer wrap if I supply my own argument.  And like Lars
says, you can always use C-k to kill the supplied default.

What do other people think?  If folks like this, I'll add it to my
list of patches I need to implement and send to Lars.  :)

--Paul

* Re: Default values
@ 1997-06-06 22:01   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-06-06 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:
>
> > But when using nnweb I get asked something like:
> >
> > Search Engine type: Altavista
> >  And here ----------^
> >
> > I would preferr something like
> >
> > Search Engine type (altavista):
> >   and now gnus waits here ------^
>
> The advantage of the former method is that you just press `C-k' if you
> don't want the default.

And with the latter method you don't even need to press `C-k'. :-)

> And if you almost want it, but just want to
> edit it slightly, you can, but you can't with the latter.

I don't see why I would ever want to "edit slightly" the string
"Altavista".

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia

* Re: Default values
@ 1997-06-09 13:33   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-06-09 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Franklin <paul@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> There are lots of prompts such as this one where I would prefer to be
> able to edit the default.

In Emacs 19.35/20.1, `down' at end of history is the recommended user
interface for putting the default value in the minibuffer.  I'm not
sure what the lisp interface for this is.