* No limit to cached '/ *'
@ 1998-05-03  0:10 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-05-03  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wasn't there a time back down the road a bit when the command to limit
the view to cached articles worked?

Has anyone else noticed, it doesn't any more.  Just moves the cursor to
the first cached article it seems but doesn't limit the view to cached only.

Still running 5.6.6 but don't see any thing in the newer change logs so
assume 5.6.9 doesn't either.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: No limit to cached '/ *'
@ 1998-05-03  2:16 ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-05-03  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Wasn't there a time back down the road a bit when the command to limit
> the view to cached articles worked?

  I believe you had to do a `/m RET' first. `C-h k / *' says:

/ * runs `gnus-summary-limit-include-cached'

`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached' is an alias for
`gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles', an interactive compiled Lisp
function
-- loaded from "gnus-cache.elc"
(gnus-summary-limit-include-cached)

Insert all the articles cached for this group into the current buffer.

  This would appear to be exactly what it does.

--
Mike.

* Re: No limit to cached '/ *'
@ 1998-05-03  3:11   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-05-03  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > Wasn't there a time back down the road a bit when the command to limit
> > the view to cached articles worked?
>
>   I believe you had to do a `/m RET' first. `C-h k / *' says:
>
> / * runs `gnus-summary-limit-include-cached'
>
> `gnus-summary-limit-include-cached' is an alias for
> `gnus-summary-insert-cached-articles', an interactive compiled Lisp
> function
> -- loaded from "gnus-cache.elc"
> (gnus-summary-limit-include-cached)
>
> Insert all the articles cached for this group into the current buffer.
>
>   This would appear to be exactly what it does.

Aha, I thought I remembered their being some trick way to do it.
All other marks used with '/ m'  are inserted before the <RET>.

Like:  '/ m O'<RET> or '/ m E'<RET>  It isn't apparent that the cache
mark needs to be done differently.

The page on 'Limiting' doesn't indicate any difference, and looks as if
it is treated the same as the others.

I'd like to make a small suggestion for two changes on that page that
might be a little clearer.

1) Where it says:
`/ m'
     Ask for a mark and then limit to all articles that have not been
     marked with that mark (`gnus-summary-limit-to-marks').
Change to:
`/ m'
     Ask for a mark and then limit to all articles that have been
     marked with that mark (`gnus-summary-limit-to-marks').

(removing the confusing 'not')

2)Where it says:

`/ *'
     Display all cached articles (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').

Change to:

`/ *'
     Display all cached articles  (press '/ m <RET> / *')
     (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').

(since this is differnt than other uses of '/ m')

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-05-03 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1) Where it says:
> `/ m'
>      Ask for a mark and then limit to all articles that have not been
>      marked with that mark (`gnus-summary-limit-to-marks').
> Change to:
> `/ m'
>      Ask for a mark and then limit to all articles that have been
>      marked with that mark (`gnus-summary-limit-to-marks').
>
> (removing the confusing 'not')

Yup.  Fix in Gnus v5.6.10.

> 2)Where it says:
>
> `/ *'
>      Display all cached articles (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').
>
> Change to:
>
> `/ *'
>      Display all cached articles  (press '/ m <RET> / *')
>      (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').
>
> (since this is differnt than other uses of '/ m')

Huh?  `/ m' works on readedness marks, which is orthogonal to whether
articles are in the cache.

* Re: No limit to cached '/ *'
@ 1998-05-03 14:29       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-05-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > 2)Where it says:
> >
> > `/ *'
> >      Display all cached articles (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').
> >
> > Change to:

> > `/ *'
> >      Display all cached articles  (press '/ m <RET> / *')
> >      (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').
> >
> > (since this is differnt than other uses of '/ m')
>
> Huh?  `/ m' works on readedness marks, which is orthogonal to whether
> articles are in the cache.

If you mean the '/ m'<RET> part doesn't need to be done first to get
'/ *' to display cached articles, then I haven't found that to be true.
Haven't been able to display cached without using '/ m' first.

My only point is that on the list where the instruction about using '/ *'
appears it looks as if all you need to do is press '/ *' to limit view
to cached only.  Similar to '/ D' to view dormant articles

Pressing just '/ D' does display dormant articles
Pressing just '/  *' does *not* display cached articles

What it seem to do is move the cursor to a cached article but not limit
the display to cached only.

In all other uses of '/ m' the sequence is Press '/' press 'm
Get a prompt that looks like 'Marks:'  insert desired mark  press <RET>
and the view gets limited to that mark.

With cache mark (*) the sequence is different.
Press '/' press 'm' Get prompt 'Marks:' press <RET> (if you insert the
'*' mark before pressing <RET> as in the other cases, you will be shown
a blank screen.)
So you must press <RET> with out inserting a mark

Now press '/ *' and view will be limited to cached

I didn't see any other way to limit the view to cached articles

So still seems to need to be clarified on the info page as in my
suggestion.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-05-03 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My only point is that on the list where the instruction about using '/ *'
> appears it looks as if all you need to do is press '/ *' to limit view
> to cached only.

It does?

`/ v'
     Limit the summary buffer to articles that have a score at or above
     some score (`gnus-summary-limit-to-score').

vs.

`/ *'
     Display all cached articles (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').

I thought the difference here would be self-evident.

> Pressing just '/ D' does display dormant articles
> Pressing just '/  *' does *not* display cached articles

It does for me.  When doesn't it?

> What it seem to do is move the cursor to a cached article but not limit
> the display to cached only.

*It's* *not* *supposed* *to*.  *It* *doesn't* *say* *that* *it's*
*supposed* *to*.

* Re: No limit to cached '/ *'
@ 1998-05-03 18:41           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-05-03 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > My only point is that on the list where the instruction about using '/ *'
> > appears it looks as if all you need to do is press '/ *' to limit view
> > to cached only.
>
> It does?
>
> `/ v'
>      Limit the summary buffer to articles that have a score at or above
>      some score (`gnus-summary-limit-to-score').
>
> vs.
>
> `/ *'
>      Display all cached articles (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').
>
> I thought the difference here would be self-evident.

OK, I guess I see your point. It doesn't say 'limit' but 'display"
So the only question then is why is it on a page that is explicitly
about 'Limiting?"

>From info page:
  >  Limiting
  >
  >	  It can be convenient to limit the summary buffer to just show some
  >  subset of the articles currently in the group.  The effect most limit
  >  commands have is to remove a few (or many) articles from the summary
  >  buffer.

The name of the node is "Limiting"  <===Maybe where I got the  idea
that the commands on that page are about limiting the view.

Near as I can tell the command '/ *' does not limit in any way.

Possibly the page could be broken up into commands that actually limit
and commands that add to the display.

I may be the only one that has ever been confused by the way it is
presented.  My settings are faily common I think, eg  Caching turned on so
that ticks and dormant are cached.  This also means that cached articles
that are ticked are displayed already when entering a group because of
their 'Unread' status. So the only effect of pressing '/ *' is to
move the cursor to a cached article.

Some of my confusion has stemmed from the fact that I rarely use
dormant so didn't see anything being added by pressing '/ *'.  Now I see
that any "hidden" cached articles are indeed displayed with '/ *'.
But still not 'limited' to.

> > Pressing just '/ D' does display dormant articles
> > Pressing just '/  *' does *not* display cached articles
>
> It does for me.  When doesn't it?

When cached article are not 'hidden'.

Should have been:

 Pressing '/ m ?'<RET> does display only dormant articles
 Pressing '/ m * <RET>  does *not* display only cached articles

It displays a blank buffer.  Once you get the blank buffer you can press
'/ *' and have a view limited to cached only.

> *It's* *not* *supposed* *to*.  *It* *doesn't* *say* *that* *it's*
> *supposed* *to*.

OK point taken.  Maybe adding my suggestion for anyone who wants to
"limit" to cached only would help.  Using the '/ m' commmand with the
'*' mark does work differently than with any of the other marks.

After all, this section is about 'limiting the view to a 'subset'.

--

@ 1998-05-04  3:44           ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1998-05-04  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > `/ *'
 >      Display all cached articles (`gnus-summary-limit-include-cached').

How about saying "Add cached articles to the current display" instead?

--Paul

* Re: No limit to cached '/ *'
@ 1998-05-04  6:56             ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-05-04  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > OK point taken.  Maybe adding my suggestion for anyone who wants to
  > "limit" to cached only would help.  Using the '/ m' commmand with the
  > '*' mark does work differently than with any of the other marks.

WIBNI `/ m * RET' limited the summary buffer to the cached articles
whereas `/ *' included the cached articles in (added the cached
articles to) the current display?

kai
--
One, two, many.  Many one, many two, many many.
Many many one, many many two, LOTS.