* Scoring menus
@ 2000-11-05 19:36 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-05 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

WIBNI the `increase score' entry was a submenu which allowed you to
select the header, which opens a subsubmenu for choosing the matching
type, and so on?  Similar for the `lower score' entry.

Then people could browse the menus to see how to do scoring and
wouldn't have to hit `?' to figure out what the cryptic keys mean.

Whatcha all think?
kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: Scoring menus
@ 2000-11-06  0:34 ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2000-11-06  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

* "Kai" == Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

 Kai> WIBNI the `increase score' entry was a submenu which allowed you to
 Kai> select the header, which opens a subsubmenu for choosing the matching
 Kai> type, and so on?  Similar for the `lower score' entry.

 Kai> Then people could browse the menus to see how to do scoring and
 Kai> wouldn't have to hit `?' to figure out what the cryptic keys mean.

 Kai> Whatcha all think?

I think it would be a good idea.  And an added bonus would be that
people would get so sick of going clickety click through the menus
that they'd learn what those cryptic keys do.

--
|---<Regards, Steve Youngs>-----------[GnuPG KeyID: EFD82ED2]---|
|     It's a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept    |

* Re: Scoring menus
@ 2000-11-06 11:42   ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2000-11-06 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <youngs_s@ozlinx.com.au> writes:

> * "Kai" == Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
>
>  Kai> WIBNI the `increase score' entry was a submenu [...]
>
> I think it would be a good idea.  [...]

While we're on the subject, there are a few menu selections which are
also bound to keystrokes, whose key equivalents do not show on the
menus.  'G e' springs to mind for editting group parameters.  Should
these gaps be filled in?

--
.  Dr Paul Stevenson   .   Reasearch Fellow   .   University of Surrey  .
.     phone: +44 (0) 1483 876795     .     fax +44 (0) 1483 876781      .

* Re: Scoring menus
@ 2000-11-06 12:07     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-11-06 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <p.stevenson@surrey.ac.uk> writes:

> While we're on the subject, there are a few menu selections which are
> also bound to keystrokes, whose key equivalents do not show on the
> menus.  'G e' springs to mind for editting group parameters.

Well, the idea was that people who prefer menus over keybindings,
probably prefer forms over sexps too.  Or put another way, if you
can't remember the keybinding, you are unlikely to remember the group
parameter syntax either.

> Should these gaps be filled in?

I don't think the gaps should be filled just for the sake of filling
the gaps.

* Re: Scoring menus
@ 2000-11-06 12:08       ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2000-11-06 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Paul Stevenson <p.stevenson@surrey.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > While we're on the subject, there are a few menu selections which are
> > also bound to keystrokes, whose key equivalents do not show on the
> > menus.  'G e' springs to mind for editting group parameters.
>
> Well, the idea was that people who prefer menus over keybindings,
> probably prefer forms over sexps too.  Or put another way, if you
> can't remember the keybinding, you are unlikely to remember the group
> parameter syntax either.

Fair enough, I think. Should it be a menu option at all, then?

* Re: Scoring menus
@ 2000-11-06 23:04       ` Johan Kullstam
From: Johan Kullstam @ 2000-11-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Paul Stevenson <p.stevenson@surrey.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > While we're on the subject, there are a few menu selections which are
> > also bound to keystrokes, whose key equivalents do not show on the
> > menus.  'G e' springs to mind for editting group parameters.
>
> Well, the idea was that people who prefer menus over keybindings,
> probably prefer forms over sexps too.  Or put another way, if you
> can't remember the keybinding, you are unlikely to remember the group
> parameter syntax either.

well, there are only 40 bazillion keybindings in gnus.  sometimes you
just don't even know all the options.

for me, the menubar is there to give some less frequently used options
a place to live.  i can't remember every keybinding.  i still prefer
sexps over forms though.

> > Should these gaps be filled in?
>
> I don't think the gaps should be filled just for the sake of filling
> the gaps.

some gaps ought to be filled in.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]

* Re: Scoring menus
@ 2000-11-07  9:13         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-11-07  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Johan Kullstam" <kullstam@ne.mediaone.net> writes:

> well, there are only 40 bazillion keybindings in gnus.  sometimes you
> just don't even know all the options.

But "G e" _alone_ is a lot less complex to remember than the group
parameter syntax it gives access to.  Most of the keybindings doesn't
require additional complex knowledge.