* Mailto:  links
@ 2000-03-04 19:35 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-04 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to set netscape in such a way as to call gnus when
clicking a "mailto" link?

* Re: Mailto:  links
@ 2000-03-07  4:09 ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 2000-03-07  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote :

> Is it possible to set netscape in such a way as to call gnus when
> clicking a "mailto" link?

Yeah.  Grab muttzilla[1] and give it a whirl - there's a VM interface
in there.  I keep meaning to get around to making it work with Gnus,
but it consistently manages to fall off my stack.

If anybody's already done so, post it here ! :)

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www3.telus.net/brian_winters/mutt/

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> the yesterdays of our lives

* Re: Mailto:  links
@ 2000-03-07  4:31   ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 2000-03-07  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew J Cosgriff wrote :

> Harry Putnam wrote :
>
> > Is it possible to set netscape in such a way as to call gnus when
> > clicking a "mailto" link?
>
> Yeah.  Grab muttzilla[1] and give it a whirl - there's a VM interface
> in there.  I keep meaning to get around to making it work with Gnus,
> but it consistently manages to fall off my stack.
>
> If anybody's already done so, post it here ! :)
>

> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://www3.telus.net/brian_winters/mutt/

Blah.  Here you go.  I call it "gnus-mail" and if you chuck the script
in /usr/local/lib/muttzilla and put

mailargs=gnus-mail

in your .muttzillarc it oughta work.  I couldn't be bothered worrying
about handling CC or BCC, 'cause it's not like I see them every day in
a mailto: header, so...

[-- Attachment #2: muttzilla script for using Gnus message mode --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1517 bytes --]

#! /bin/sh
#
# Script for spawning gnus' message composition under xemacs through
# muttzilla.
#
# by Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net>
# based on the VM one
# by Claus Brunzema <chb@ossi.fho-emden.de>
# most code stolen from muttzilla's mzmail.sh

# If you already have an xemacs with gnuserv running, this script
# first tries to start message mode using that xemacs.  Otherwise a
# new xemacs is started. So, if you don't want a new xemacs for every
# mail, put something like (gnuserv-start) in your .emacs.

# Arguments to the script:
#   2  cc
#   3  bcc
#   4  subject
#   5  body file
#   6  org

MZTO=$1
MZCC=$2
MZBCC=$3
MZSUB=$4
MZBOD=$5
MZORG=$6

ARGS="-eval '(progn (message-mail "

if [ -n "$MZTO" ] ; then
    ARGS="$ARGS \"$MZTO\""
fi

if [ -n "$MZSUB" ] ; then
    ARGS="\"$MZSUB\" "
fi

#
# I'm too lazy to deal with CC and BCC now (ajc)
#

#if [ -n "$MZCC" ] ; then
#    ARGS="$ARGS (mail-cc) (insert \"$MZCC\") "
#fi

#if [ -n "$MZBCC" ] ; then
#    ARGS="$ARGS (mail-bcc) (insert \"$MZBCC\") "
#fi

### body and org still missing ...

ARGS="$ARGS ))'"

if (gnuclient -batch -eval '(progn)' 2>&1 >/dev/null) ; then
    eval gnuclient $ARGS
else
    eval xemacs $ARGS
fi

# This is an ugly hack, and to be honest I'm not even sure it does
# what I think it does, but I hadn't really forseen that you might
# want to spawn one of two programs depending on the results of some
# test.  I'm sure I'll hear from some enterprising VM users who will
# let me know a better way.
exit 0

Enjoy,
 Andrew
--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> shaken and stirred

* Re: Mailto:  links
@ 2000-03-07  4:55     ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2000-03-07  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Andrew> Blah.  Here you go.  I call it "gnus-mail" and if you
    Andrew> chuck the script in /usr/local/lib/muttzilla and put

Thanks for that, but it seems to have some limitations:

- it opens up a new window in the current frame as well as a new frame.

- it doesn't use any of my gnus-posting-styles settings :-(

- actually, when testing the VM version, it opened up two extra
frames - doesn't seem a problem now though with your version.

Oh well, thats all I have time to check right now. FYI: I just tried
running your script manually, not via netscape or muttzilla.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: Mailto:  links
@ 2000-03-07 10:31       ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 2000-03-07 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May wrote :

>     Andrew> Blah.  Here you go.  I call it "gnus-mail" and if you
>     Andrew> chuck the script in /usr/local/lib/muttzilla and put
>
> Thanks for that, but it seems to have some limitations:
>
> - it opens up a new window in the current frame as well as a new
>   frame.
>
> - it doesn't use any of my gnus-posting-styles settings :-(

It just calls (message-mail) with appropriate parameters.  Is there a
way of applying posting styles after the buffer's been prepared ?
(isn't this a known limitation of posting styles, hence the existence
of other stuff like gnus-pers.el and such ?  I don't use posting
styles or gnus-pers yet, I'll move over to one of them sometime
eventually...)

> - actually, when testing the VM version, it opened up two extra
> frames - doesn't seem a problem now though with your version.

Much of that is a matter of configuring gnuserv to do what you want.
I mean, all it does is call "gnuclient -eval" - it doesn't dictate
whether to open up a new window or not.

Under XEmacs (21.2 beta, dunno whether it's in 21.1, I haven't checked
yet) there was a nice gnuserv option saying "use an existing window if
one's visible, open a new one otherwise" which seems to work nicely.

> Oh well, thats all I have time to check right now. FYI: I just tried
> running your script manually, not via netscape or muttzilla.

Yeah, it wouldn't make a difference.

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> calling from a country phone