* summary of unread messages on pop server?
@ 2002-05-17 16:43 Bill White
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill White @ 2002-05-17 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for an automated way to get a listing of unread messages
on my pop server.  I do this by hand:

ssh machinename <then keep that connection open>
mail

then when I find that I've received something interesting, I download
all my email with gnus.

Is there a better way to get the list of unread messages?  An elisp
way, perhaps, or some shell thingy whose output I can stick in a
buffer every minute or so?

Thanks -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: summary of unread messages on pop server?
@ 2002-05-17 19:10 ` Oystein Viggen
From: Oystein Viggen @ 2002-05-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* [Bill White]

> ssh machinename <then keep that connection open>
> mail
>
> Is there a better way to get the list of unread messages?

I run "watch frm" in an xterm next to my XEmacs.  frm is a small program
that lists out the sender and subject of the messages in your mailbox.
I think it is a part of elm.

> An elisp way, perhaps, or some shell thingy whose output I can stick
> in a buffer every minute or so?

Well, if you set up ssh to authenticate itself with a crypto key instead
of the password, you can have it log in automatically.  Then you can run
"ssh machinename frm" from emacs.

Oystein
--
This message was brought to you by the letter ß and the number e.

* Re: summary of unread messages on pop server?
@ 2002-05-17 22:24 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-05-17 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bill> I'm looking for an automated way to get a listing of unread messages
Bill> on my pop server.  I do this by hand:

Bill> -----------------------------------------
Bill> ssh machinename <then keep that connection open>
Bill> mail
Bill> x
Bill> -----------------------------------------

I use xfaces...  Purdy.

--
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
 insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."   -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: summary of unread messages on pop server?
@ 2002-06-04 16:15 ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-06-04 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri May 17 2002 at 11:43, Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> said:

> I'm looking for an automated way to get a listing of unread messages
> on my pop server.  I do this by hand:

> ssh machinename <then keep that connection open>
> mail
>
> then when I find that I've received something interesting, I
> download all my email with gnus.
>
> Is there a better way to get the list of unread messages?  An elisp
> way, perhaps, or some shell thingy whose output I can stick in a
> buffer every minute or so?

(defun bw-check-mail ()
  "run nfrm on mail server"
  (interactive)
  (message nil)
  (shell-command "ssh machinename nfrm -t"))
(global-set-key [f12] 'bw-check-mail)

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White                                               Office: 5N-X30
Documentation Programmer                      Phone: 217-398-0700 x 234