From: wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: A New Year's Resolution
Date: 03 Jan 2000 10:51:36 -0800	[thread overview]

>>>>> On 02 Jan 2000 07:11:24 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> said:

Lars> (200 messages from mail.misc responded to; 450 to go.  I wonder
Lars> whether I'm going to accidentally lean on the `d' key now.  Is there
Lars> any point in responding to mail that more than 4 months old?  I suck.)

On another point, I decided about a month ago that email is going to
be the downfall of modern society.  Basically, we now have the ability
to communicate so easily now that we respond, they ask something else,
we respond (meanwhile writing a 3rd party with a question), they ask
something else, the 3rd party responds, you respond to both of them
involving a 4th and 5th subject in the discussions, and it snowballs
from there.

Back in the good old days, when letters had to be carried by ship
in order to reach you this wasn't a problem and you got to spend all
of your time solving your own problems and producing things rather
than communicating with the people you're now reliant on and those
that rely on you.

However, when voice communications over the internet become better I
suspect things will improve, for as I see it half of the problem is
the lack of interactivity where someone can interrupt you as they
could in a normal conversation to make sure you are talking about what
they truly want to know.

Warning: if you respond to this note, expect a corresponding loss of
true productivity in your day.
--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."